No good - XROM XHOWTO Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS beta - the easy way

Search This thread

One2many

Sep 2, 2011
UPDATE - Do not bother with these instructions. They do not work as intended. Too many different results.

Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS stock beta as a daily driver on your R800X - the easy way

This is purposed for the stock R800i rom to run on the R800X. Since the information is somewhat scattered in the threads I thought I would bundle it with instructions to help other R800X owners that want to use a completely stock rom with root. This assumes you have an unlocked R800x and know how to get fastboot working. Everything seems to work except MMS.

First a disclaimer...
-I did not create anything here so credit truly goes to Doomlord, Chevyowner, Sony, Google and anyone that contributes to XDA
-This is intended for informational purposes only. Although I hope it works for you, I really dont care if your phone goes up in smoke so use at your own risk. :)

Now lets have fun!

1) I gathered all the files you will need from XDA and Sony for this:

2) Extract the contents of the above file to c:\ICS using winrar

3) Copy all the *.zip files from the above folder to your phone's SD card

4) Boot device into fastboot mode. With the device off, hold the magnify glass button while connecting the usb cord. If all goes well you see a blue led. If not search forum about your fastboot problems.

5) Flash doomlord's ics beta kernel via fastboot. (this is so we can install from zip and also roots the new rom)

fastboot flash boot c:\ics\doom-ics.img

6) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

7) Wipe cache, data, dalvik cache and reboot

8) Boot device to fastboot again

9) Flash sony beta rom files (takes a while so be patient)

fastboot flash system c:\ics\system.img
fastboot flash userdata c:\ics\userdata.img

10) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

11) 'Install from zip' all the zip files you copied to your device earlier. Including gapps, doomlords ics boot animation, and cdma

12) Flash stock kernal (fix wifi without loading modules)

fastboot flash boot c:\ics\boot.img

13) To get cell data working - go to settings, xperia, internet settings and click accept

Hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: netizenmt

Wallrunner

Nov 23, 2010
Followed the steps on my R800x, boots, wifi works and runs pretty smooth. Phone crashes after I hit the call button. SMS appears to work, MMS doesn't, even after adding the Verzion APN in settings.

Going to Settings>Xperia>Internet Settings doesn't appear to do anything after hitting apply, mobile data isn't working and calls crash. Haven't tested any games yet though. Are there any steps I might have missed?

Edit: Even though the phone force closes, the call connects and the other party can hear my voice, but there's no way to hang up or any indication that there's a call going on. The Wifi indicator flashes on and off until the phone is rebooted or the call is dropped.

Last edited:

Leraeniesh

Aug 1, 2011
Detroit
Followed the steps on my R800x, boots, wifi works and runs pretty smooth. Phone crashes after I hit the call button. SMS appears to work, MMS doesn't, even after adding the Verzion APN in settings.

Going to Settings>Xperia>Internet Settings doesn't appear to do anything after hitting apply, mobile data isn't working and calls crash. Haven't tested any games yet though. Are there any steps I might have missed?

Nope. This is all we have working right now.

Sent from R800x

lightningdude

Oct 9, 2010
Thanks, but were you aware that calls were going through and the microphone works? you just can't hear the other party or see anything indicating the phone was on, but the other party can hear you and they get a call notification.

Don't forget that only the other party can hang up or do anything else in the phone call. Works great for leaving voicemail!

zipeee2

Jul 5, 2009

Edit: Even though the phone force closes, the call connects and the other party can hear my voice, but there's no way to hang up or any indication that there's a call going on. The Wifi indicator flashes on and off until the phone is rebooted or the call is dropped.

Was the CDMA for Verizon "patch" in this .rar. tested on the doomlord kernel? (vs. stock)

Last edited:

One2many

Sep 2, 2011
My patch is only to receive a CDMA signal. Its been tested on DooM and stock, with similar results.

Sent from R800x

Sorry there is trouble.
Again all I did here was attempt to bundle everything that's already available to make it easier. I assumed what I did would work for everyone.

Since I wrote the instructions from memory I should go through them again to see if I missed a step.

My data works fine as well as 3g notification.

My phone app does occasionally get that error but calls and hangs up ok.

Personally I prefer the stock kernel and stock wifi modules because I get way better battery life in standby. Other roms/kernels I was only getting 5 hours and with ics beta with stock kernel I get over 24 hours.

Do you think baseband versions matter here causing different device behavior for data and phone issues?

GlacialFlames

Oct 10, 2011
Please help me, i'm on step 6 and having an impossible time booting to CWM, and am now stuck in a bootloop since flashing doomkernal

jenesuispasbavard

Oct 29, 2010
Austin
Please help me, i'm on step 6 and having an impossible time booting to CWM, and am now stuck in a bootloop since flashing doomkernal

Instead of flashing DooMLorD's ICS kernel in step 5, try flashing the three .img files from the official beta, then try this in fastboot mode. It will boot you to recovery instead of flashing it, where you can flash all the .zip files in step 11 onwards. No need to do step 12.

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Unlocked R800X - run Sony ICS stock beta as a daily driver on your R800X - the easy way

This is purposed for the stock R800i rom to run on the R800X. Since the information is somewhat scattered in the threads I thought I would bundle it with instructions to help other R800X owners that want to use a completely stock rom with root. This assumes you have an unlocked R800x and know how to get fastboot working. Everything seems to work except MMS.

First a disclaimer...
-I did not create anything here so credit truly goes to Doomlord, Chevyowner, Sony, Google and anyone that contributes to XDA
-This is intended for informational purposes only. Although I hope it works for you, I really dont care if your phone goes up in smoke so use at your own risk. :)

Now lets have fun!

http://www.mediafire.com/?29fiyj22bt8lzlg

4) Boot device into fastboot mode. With the device off, hold the magnify glass button while connecting the usb cord. If all goes well you see a blue led. If not search forum about your fastboot problems.

5) Flash doomlord's ics beta kernel via fastboot. (this is so we can install from zip and also roots the new rom)

6) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

10) Boot to CWM - keep pressing the magnify glass button right after powering on the device

11) 'Install from zip' all the zip files you copied to your device earlier. Including gapps, doomlords ics boot animation, and cdma

13) To get cell data working - go to settings, xperia, internet settings and click accept

I clicked Thanks, not because this works - it doesn't - but because you at least made the attempt to be helpful in gathering everything together in one place. Step 13 in particular has never seemed to work for me on Verizon.

The facts about the Sony ICS Beta and the R800x are simply these:

Sometimes, some people, for some UNKNOWN reason, will manage to get everything working almost perfectly. At one point, I had working calls and data, downloaded and installed apps over 3G, the works. Then I booted into recovery and made a backup, thinking to share a working Nandroid...

Well, guess what? Not only did it not work for anyone else, it stopped working for me too. I have tried everything to recreate my former success, with -ZERO- success.

At this point, to my knowledge, NO ONE has found a way to make calls AND 3g data work at the same time, as one would expect it to, in any repeatable manner. Maybe calls, sort of; maybe 3G data for browsing, but not for downloading from the market; rarely both at the same time, and never what one would call a daily driver.

In short, right now, the closest thing we R800x users have to a usable ICS is CyanogenMod 9 by FXP and further modified by paxChristos, AGraceful and others. It's something to bide our time with until one of these genius kids on here finally figures it out. As for Verizon and Sony go, it will probably be a long time coming, if ever, regardless of projected release dates to the contrary.

Having said all that... I think I might wipe my phone and try it all again today! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: One2many
netizenmt... I agree. I have tried going back & forth between GB and ICS and as much as I love the look and feel of ICS at this point I cant use it beyond just playing around with it as CDMA and 3G are not working. For me I have to have this. I dont mind testing a ROM and or a CDMA patch but for me to have no calls at minimum I cant go without. I watch this threa daily and hope that a Super Genius will find a solution. Becuase I know 2 things. When Sony releases the ICS rom for our PLAYS it will NOT be for Verizon users as Verizon would need to release the ICS version or at least a CDMA but the chances of that happening.. I have a better chance of being the next leader of Middle Earth (yes L of the Rings pun) before Verizon gives a monley butt about our phone. I do work next to a corporate office for Verizon and I do have friends that work there but they are not high enough on the food chain to make a mouse squeek. All in all we R800x users are at the whims of the awesome devs here. And for their efforts I salute you..... the CDMA patch may have us at the moment but I know given time something will happen. Keep positive peeps. :) :D

One2many

Sep 2, 2011
I clicked Thanks, not because this works - it doesn't - but because you at least made the attempt to be helpful in gathering everything together in one place. Step 13 in particular has never seemed to work for me on Verizon.

Sometimes, some people, for some UNKNOWN reason, will manage to get everything working almost perfectly. At one point, I had working calls and data, downloaded and installed apps over 3G, the works. Then I booted into recovery and made a backup, thinking to share a working Nandroid...

Well, guess what? Not only did it not work for anyone else, it stopped working for me too. I have tried everything to recreate my former success, with -ZERO- success.

At this point, to my knowledge, NO ONE has found a way to make calls AND 3g data work at the same time, as one would expect it to, in any repeatable manner. Maybe calls, sort of; maybe 3G data for browsing, but not for downloading from the market; rarely both at the same time, and never what one would call a daily driver.

In short, right now, the closest thing we R800x users have to a usable ICS is CyanogenMod 9 by FXP and further modified by paxChristos, AGraceful and others. It's something to bide our time with until one of these genius kids on here finally figures it out. As for Verizon and Sony go, it will probably be a long time coming, if ever, regardless of projected release dates to the contrary.

Having said all that... I think I might wipe my phone and try it all again today! :D

Don't waste your time on this any longer. Although I swear I had 3g at one time I have been unable to replicate. I get too many different results. Updated first post to discontinue this thread. Thanks!

Reactions: paxChristos

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
Don't waste your time on this any longer. Although I swear I had 3g at one time I have been unable to replicate. I get too many different results. Updated first post to discontinue this thread. Thanks!

Yes, it is both extremely puzzling and annoying how it works for one person one way, another way for someone else, then it quits working... it's like something "intelligent" is in there messing it up for us... That sounds so paranoid, but I don't know how to explain it otherwise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE - Do not bother with these instructions. They do not work as intended. Too many different results.

First a disclaimer...

Now lets have fun!

First a disclaimer...

Now lets have fun!

http://www.mediafire.com/?29fiyj22bt8lzlg

Yes, it is both extremely puzzling and annoying how it works for one person one way, another way for someone else, then it quits working... it's like something "intelligent" is in there messing it up for us... That sounds so paranoid, but I don't know how to explain it otherwise.

Its like Verizon is physically ****ing with us.