5,596,431 Members 40,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Tab i957 - Screen Resolution or Honeycomb?

Tip us?

lilsim89
Old
(Last edited by lilsim89; 7th April 2012 at 12:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool [Q] Galaxy Tab i957 - Screen Resolution or Honeycomb?

Just got the i957 and love almost everything about it except, what looks like to me, its poor screen resolution. Now my laptop has the same 1280x800 resolution on a bigger screen. So why are the text and images on my laptop leaps and bounds sharper than the tab? ...

-----------------------

EDIT: Changing screen font helped a good deal. But I'm still crossing my fingers that ICS takes advantage of the screen resolution better.

orlandoxpolice
Old
Thanks Meter 240
can you take a screenshot?
Phone: [AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-i337] Rom: Task650 AOKP

Tablet: [Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE SGH-i957] Rom: ICS 4.0.4 UCLK4

Dog: [Pitbull Sharpei Mix] Rom: Stock

testulous
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I've noticed the same thing. Screen text is fuzzy because of antialiasing. If you load up an image, unscaled, with aliased text and antialiased text, you'll see that the screen is crisp and perfectly representing the image as it should be. It's when the tab tries to render text that it fuzzifies everything.

One thing that significantly improves readability is an anti-glare screen protector. I found one on Amazon that is pro quality and extremely affordable. Search for Generiks TM Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and you'll get it.
Captivate SGH-i896, Galaxy i9000, Galaxy Tab 8.9 SGH-i957, Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800, Galaxy Note i717, Galaxy Note N7000
Note 2 i317 (AKA the perfect phone) | Nexus 7 | Nexus 10 | Nexus 4 | Galaxy S4 M919
GOODBYE HALO

lilsim89
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by testulous View Post
I've noticed the same thing. Screen text is fuzzy because of antialiasing. If you load up an image, unscaled, with aliased text and antialiased text, you'll see that the screen is crisp and perfectly representing the image as it should be. It's when the tab tries to render text that it fuzzifies everything.

One thing that significantly improves readability is an anti-glare screen protector. I found one on Amazon that is pro quality and extremely affordable. Search for Generiks TM Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and you'll get it.
Exactly! The text is definitely not being rendered with antialiasing (or not significantly). If you fire up the Kindle app, though, its fonts ARE antialiased and look much much much better.

It must be an API issue. When the Kindle app loads, it may be utilizing OpenGL or some other library that gives it lower level access.

It'd be great if a dev. could confirm that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium HD app

orlandoxpolice
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Can anyone post comparative screenshots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium
Phone: [AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-i337] Rom: Task650 AOKP

Tablet: [Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE SGH-i957] Rom: ICS 4.0.4 UCLK4

Dog: [Pitbull Sharpei Mix] Rom: Stock

lilsim89
Old
(Last edited by lilsim89; 20th April 2012 at 07:26 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoxpolice View Post
Can anyone post comparative screenshots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium
No problem. These are screenshots from the dolphin browser, and Kindle app. Note the readability of the fonts.

EDIT: It looks like the XDA app compressed the images heavily. At least from my tab it appears that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium HD app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334946094345.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1015903   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334946111228.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1015904  
Tags