Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 52,863 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight Talk Unlimited with Captivate

Tip us?

bravomail
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Thumbs down chiming in

I had horrible issue with my StraightTalk sim card.
Had to transfer my number, which worked.
Texting and data both didn't work. And the customer support was not helpful.
Then I went to ST facebook page and their Florida office phone. Facebook was useless.
All of them kept saying that simcard/phone is fully provisioned and all 3 components of calls/data/sms should work. They also said that "service is not guaranteed".
Florida Tracfone office called in some techsupport and they submitted Level 2 (L2) ticket. Their backoffice DB had only call record, but not data or text. WTF. They finally fixed it in next 5 days.
The whole nightmare took two weeks.
I have data working, MMS working, SMS working.
Beware of not going over 2GB limit. ST can cancel your contract and you will lose your phone number.
But for unlimited calls and text and some data - 45 is a good price. Beware!
Author of Nostalgia 8 for ATT SGS3, 1.5, 2.3 and 4.0.4 ICS ROMs for Samsung Captivate. ROM and APK compressor.
The Following User Says Thank You to bravomail For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dchawk81
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Yeah they cut my data off once but I called in and got it reinstated after answering a few questions about my usage.
FYI: When a someone says "nandroid" what they're referring to is CWM or ClockWork. I wish someone had told me that months ago.

MrBooMY
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I've been running an E71 sim for over 2 years. They only rescently started warning me about usage which baffles me because I went WELL over 2GB my first month or two and they didn't bother me. Now as soon as I get CLOSE to 2GB they call me. For what I'm paying I'll live with it. I've got most of my family to switch over. Everyone is loving paying $48.15 a month (tax included 7%) instead of $80+ for the cheapest family member.

visionlogic
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband View Post
Seriously... when did "unlimited" suddenly get redefined as "limited based on what we decide" ?
It is standard operating procedure. Your government lies to you, corporations lie to you, advertising lies to you, society lies to you (and to itself), individuals lie to you, the law lies to you. Your entire life is a quagmire of lies and deceit. To actually be told the truth is the most shocking thing of all.

Current Device: LG E980 (AT&T LG Optimus G Pro) - Software Version: E98020g; Android Version: 4.4.2
Prior Device: SGH-i897 (Captivate) - Phone Build: 1012

jmtheiss
Old
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionlogic View Post
It is standard operating procedure. Your government lies to you, corporations lie to you, advertising lies to you, society lies to you (and to itself), individuals lie to you, the law lies to you. Your entire life is a quagmire of lies and deceit. To actually be told the truth is the most shocking thing of all.
Honestly, that's a depressing paragraph.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmtheiss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bravomail
Old
Thanks Meter 338
Just caught u lying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtheiss View Post
Honestly, that's a depressing paragraph.
Author of Nostalgia 8 for ATT SGS3, 1.5, 2.3 and 4.0.4 ICS ROMs for Samsung Captivate. ROM and APK compressor.

jjadus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post
I'm using my Captivate on ST and I'm getting 3mg down and 1.2 up. There's others getting better down/up speeds depending on your coverage area. It uses AT&T's 3g network. I was with AT&T prior to ST and my speeds are the same. Basically any GSM phone will work but if it's a T-Mobile phone you'll be limited to EDGE.
Hi I know that this is an old post but I have a Captivate and just signed up to ST a week ago. I got the data working but so far I am only getting Edge service not 3g but I think I was sent a Tmobile sim from ST not an AT&T sim. Could you or anyone post the APN settings that worked with your Captivate and ST and 3G. Thanks

s44
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjadus View Post
Hi I know that this is an old post but I have a Captivate and just signed up to ST a week ago. I got the data working but so far I am only getting Edge service not 3g but I think I was sent a Tmobile sim from ST not an AT&T sim. Could you or anyone post the APN settings that worked with your Captivate and ST and 3G. Thanks
ST doesn't offer AT&T SIMs any more -- everything is T-Mo. So you can't get 3G on their service unless you're in an area that T-Mobile has refarmed the 1900 band in already.

Either switch to a T-Mo phone or buy an AT&T ST SIM on eBay (they're pricey).

jjadus
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
ST doesn't offer AT&T SIMs any more -- everything is T-Mo. So you can't get 3G on their service unless you're in an area that T-Mobile has refarmed the 1900 band in already.

Either switch to a T-Mo phone or buy an AT&T ST SIM on eBay (they're pricey).
So I was thinking about upgrading to a Galaxy S2 or S3. Is there a way I can be sure an unlocked S2 or S3 may work and give me G3 or G4 service with ST? I know I have to cut the sim to accommodate these two phones. Thanks

s44
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjadus View Post
So I was thinking about upgrading to a Galaxy S2 or S3. Is there a way I can be sure an unlocked S2 or S3 may work and give me G3 or G4 service with ST? I know I have to cut the sim to accommodate these two phones. Thanks
The T-Mo S2 will give you 3G on T-Mo based ST. With the S3, either the T-Mo or the AT&T model will work -- you can just flash the AT&T one to become a T-Mo one.

International S2 (i9100) or S3 (i9300) will *not* work.