Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,274 Members 39,522 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best Wi-Fi performance

Tip us?

Cwluc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Best Wi-Fi performance

Been playing around a bit with my phone and came across this option wondering what exactly does it do. First I'm assuming it's an HTC only option because I'm not seeing it on other manufactures forums (so if it turns out to be worth it I know I've got to stick with HTCs). Second by enabling the option in increasing performance is it more tailored for receiving data from the AP only or if the phone is AP (tethered, hotspot) would I get any performance gains (range, speed)? Lastly while tethered does the manner matter? If I've enabled tethering by any means would it make any difference. Is it the kernel, wifi antenna, or app have anything to do with it. Does it need to be written to specifically take advantage of the feature? Basically even if enabling it does anything what's the point if I'm just going to be wasting battery at the end of the day because it's an HTC only feature that no one is coding for.

rockstarar
Old
Thanks Meter 129
I was wondering this too on my mytouch 4g!

Sent from my myTouch 4G using XDA App

T-Mobile
stock
macbook air, mac pro, kindle fire, mytouch 4g

cloneman1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I enabled it on my phone and the ping/jitter goes down considerably when I ping my phone from my Desktop, versus having the option unticked..

interesting...

EVO3D GSM
The Following User Says Thank You to cloneman1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ix sik pro xi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,109

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ix sik pro xi
Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.
It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ix sik pro xi
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel View Post
It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.
What happened was, I did a speedtest on my laptop and got the high results and right after did it on my phone. I did a couple tests, not just one and they were all around the same, and there were no anomalies.

wing_addict_usa
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.

Darunion
Old
Thanks Meter 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_addict_usa View Post
I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.
very old thread, unrelated phone. When the phone goes in sleep or screen is off, most downclock the cpu to save energy, this will reduce network transfer speeds. Depending on settings, some will actually disconnect during screen off.
Let me google that for you -The best way to help someone and also tell them they are lazy at the same time.

Trolls are like stray cats, if you stop feeding them, eventually they move on.

Answer a users question, he's smart for a day. Teach a user how to research his own questions, he's smart for a lifetime!

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe