Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[Q] Best Wi-Fi performance

OP Cwluc

8th March 2011, 02:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

33 posts
More
Been playing around a bit with my phone and came across this option wondering what exactly does it do. First I'm assuming it's an HTC only option because I'm not seeing it on other manufactures forums (so if it turns out to be worth it I know I've got to stick with HTCs). Second by enabling the option in increasing performance is it more tailored for receiving data from the AP only or if the phone is AP (tethered, hotspot) would I get any performance gains (range, speed)? Lastly while tethered does the manner matter? If I've enabled tethering by any means would it make any difference. Is it the kernel, wifi antenna, or app have anything to do with it. Does it need to be written to specifically take advantage of the feature? Basically even if enabling it does anything what's the point if I'm just going to be wasting battery at the end of the day because it's an HTC only feature that no one is coding for.
8th March 2011, 02:18 PM   |  #2  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 129

1,163 posts
More
I was wondering this too on my mytouch 4g!

Sent from my myTouch 4G using XDA App
17th October 2011, 01:08 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
I enabled it on my phone and the ping/jitter goes down considerably when I ping my phone from my Desktop, versus having the option unticked..

interesting...

EVO3D GSM
The Following User Says Thank You to cloneman1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2011, 10:15 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Mateo
Thanks Meter: 1

45 posts
More
Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.
31st October 2011, 04:37 AM   |  #5  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,811

15,300 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ix sik pro xi

Does the wifi on phones have a cap on data speeds? At school, we have a 700 down and 500 up connection and when I hook my phone up with wifi, it goes to like 27 down and about 20 up at the most. Not that I need that type of speed but something that I found interesting and was curious about.

It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.
The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2011, 07:32 PM   |  #6  
Flag San Mateo
Thanks Meter: 1

45 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

It is most likely due to alot of people using the same connection at once.

What happened was, I did a speedtest on my laptop and got the high results and right after did it on my phone. I did a couple tests, not just one and they were all around the same, and there were no anomalies.
20th April 2012, 08:17 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 16

263 posts
I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.
20th April 2012, 10:21 PM   |  #8  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 881

1,142 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_addict_usa

I found one thing it does, on my mytouch 4g slide, if the screen was off, wifi would barely work. Skype, iheartradio, etc would stop streaming until I turned it on. I have no idea what it actually does though. Eg. if wifi was even slowed down to 1mbps, streaming should still work, so they are doing something crazy. PS my wifi is set to always on. Weird.

very old thread, unrelated phone. When the phone goes in sleep or screen is off, most downclock the cpu to save energy, this will reduce network transfer speeds. Depending on settings, some will actually disconnect during screen off.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread