Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,906 Members 42,693 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hide status bar due to potential screen burn in issue

Tip us?
 
beestee
Old
#31  
beestee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 460
Join Date: Dec 2008
Wow, I must have missed this post. I have been using an app called 'StatusBar+' since I got my note, which allows me to hide all stats and reveal them with a nifty drop-down animation when I tap on the blank black bar. It has had it's issues, but it seems to run pretty well on my note now. It is a simple graphic overlay, so that you can still pull down the notifications screen.

I had goLauncher set up on my note at one time with a completely blank (black, using the 'colors' app) home screen and I could use gestures to unhide the notification bar and app tray...I was getting some great battery life back then!

Somebody needs to make a notifications bar app that is animated like a ticker tape.
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 (StraightTalk)
 
holgalee
Old
#32  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 403
Join Date: Dec 2010
My S2 had a loading icon burn in within less than three months. The phone was usually in low brightness, and for apps that allow, black background with with text. My S1 had burn in of the notification bar. In both cases, the burn ins were not very noticeable, and could be seen only with the phone held at various angles our with certain coloured backgrounds. I was able to sell them at good prices.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
Favourite apps: QuickPic (gallery, setting of homescreen & lockscreen wallpaper), AppZorter (sorts apps in TouchWiz), AndRecorder (clear recording of sounds), World of Goo (mentally stimulating game), SnowDeer Web Scrapper (saves entire webpage as image), MobileOdin(flash new ROMs without sweat), Taptu (quick & elegant feed reader), Gemini App Manager (prevents apps from auto starting in rooted phones), EzPDF Reader (good range of features), MX Video Player (versatile video player).
 
Spartoi
Old
#33  
Spartoi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 133
Posts: 1,793
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pomona
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotash View Post
Los cojones!!!!

I think Note with sharpness mods is better

#aravasyloscascas
#nowgoandtellit

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 usando Tapatalk
I disagree but w/e.
 
bahkata
Old
#34  
bahkata's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 85
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Msida

 
DONATE TO ME
This might as well have been an April's fool thread. Made me laugh, quite hard. thanx for that. now to the point.
There is NO burn-in issue on AMOLED screens when u use your phones like a normal person would. (Leave it on and static for several hours and it WILL burn-in, but u either have to be an idiot, or u have a firmware bug)
Smile. It matters.

Z1. monXDIFIED.
 
azrael_hut
Old
#35  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahkata View Post
There is NO burn-in issue on AMOLED screens when u use your phones like a normal person would. (Leave it on and static for several hours and it WILL burn-in, but u either have to be an idiot, or u have a firmware bug)
Or, you could have the need to use your phone as a car navigator...

And this means that every nav app with no auto-hide features for status bars will hopelessly damage your OLED display.

I used to be a heavy user of Waze (which someone mentioned in this thread) prior to buying my S2...

I actually had to be an idiot, but to buy an OLED phone...

A.
 
suomaf
Old
#36  
suomaf's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 384
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jerudong
What we need is flying toasters app, and we can rock it like we are in the 1990s. Seriously though, I just take the precautions that I have no status bar when I am in my home screen, and I don't leave the display on any fixed apps for too long. Learnt this the hard way from my galaxy s, and me nexus s

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
 
emze
Old
#37  
emze's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 98
Posts: 1,040
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
my friend's galaxy nexus, hardly 2 months old has burn in issue in 3 places. and both GN and note use pentile displays
CURRENT DEVICE(S)
Samsung Galaxy Note II N-7100
Android 4.3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1(WiFi) GT-P7510
Android 4.0.4

Previously Owned
Nokia 6110(Navigator)----Sony Ericsson T610----Nokia N73----Nokia E51----BlackBerry 8800----Apple iPhone 3GS(32GB)----Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000----Samsung Galaxy SII-GT-I9100----Samsung Galaxy Note-GT-N7000----HTC One X
 
gurnishdhillon
Old
#38  
gurnishdhillon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 378
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Johannesburg
Default statusbar+ is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestee View Post
Wow, I must have missed this post. I have been using an app called 'StatusBar+' since I got my note, which allows me to hide all stats and reveal them with a nifty drop-down animation when I tap on the blank black bar. It has had it's issues, but it seems to run pretty well on my note now. It is a simple graphic overlay, so that you can still pull down the notifications screen.

I had goLauncher set up on my note at one time with a completely blank (black, using the 'colors' app) home screen and I could use gestures to unhide the notification bar and app tray...I was getting some great battery life back then!

Somebody needs to make a notifications bar app that is animated like a ticker tape.


Yea i agree ,me too have been using statusbar+ from day one as well,especially since i hate looking at that status bar when i don't need to ....with statusbar+ i only show the time and everything else remain hidden,,, since it is still in beta stage i hope when the actually realease it then provide with an option to make the bar transparent,,now that be awesome!!


Gurnishd

Coming from the land of SGS , SGS2 , Galaxy Tab 10.1 & Galaxy Note and now here to stay ......




[Ex Dialer] Theme BlackHalo V1.0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1672690
 
azrael_hut
Old
#39  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2012
I am using ADW Launcher, by means of which I have:
- Removed the dock bar at the bottom
- Hidden the top status bar

I have then created a blank home page and a real one, containing my shortcuts to favorite apps (including the ones removed from the dock bar). I keep the phone on the blank home page and revert to the real one only if needed.

Having this said, I don't believe it is normal to find myself in need of taking care about such details and remembering of flying toasters
Not especially after having tossed away some good bucks for this jewel.

I could (albeit hardly) accept that plasma TVs are prone to burn-in issues, for mainly two reasons:
- They are not cutting edge technology
- The normal use of a tv display would not encompass showing static images

Here, we are talking about a technology which has been marketed as 'the next big thing', and about the fact that static menus-bars-icons are perfectly normal in a cell phone.

To me, it sounds like it had come up that car tyres could tear if used on highways while running over 55mph. And like now we were here exchanging tips about how driving slower than my aunt could save them.

This is outrageous.

S.
 
beestee
Old
#40  
beestee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 460
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael_hut View Post
I am using ADW Launcher, by means of which I have:
- Removed the dock bar at the bottom
- Hidden the top status bar

I have then created a blank home page and a real one, containing my shortcuts to favorite apps (including the ones removed from the dock bar). I keep the phone on the blank home page and revert to the real one only if needed.
I have done something similar with go launcher before, and then used gestures to reveal the dock and notifications bar...but go was a little laggy.

Has anyone run across a good gesture based launcher?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 (StraightTalk)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes