Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,396 Members 36,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S III has quad core.....what does that mean for 7.7?

Tip us?

burhanistan
Old
Thanks Meter 186
I still don't have any idea what this thread is about. Are you worried that the 7.7 won't be top dog or something? It's yesterday's news. Get the shiniest thing you can.

maysider
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Default ??

that I should sell my tablet 7.7 and sgs2 and buy a phone sgs3? doesnt so logic to me

burhanistan
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by maysider View Post
that I should sell my tablet 7.7 and sgs2 and buy a phone sgs3? doesnt so logic to me
Well, I was joking. This kind of thread is rather useless so I should refrain from reading or commenting, really.

pinsb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Cripes chaps it's not that difficult to follow.......

The 7.7 was announced almost 8 months ago and in many markets the 3G version is still not even available.

As Sammie themselves (and other manufacturers) are now starting to announce quad core products it'll set expectation in the marketplace that quad core is now the base level.

This discourages buyers from buying dual core products.

Fewer sales means developers less inclined to work on a product that's perceived as out of date.

We, as owners of 7.7 devices get fewer ROM options.

buzzmcfly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Nottin' really... galaxy tab 2 is coming here at Singapore last time I heard they're also putting quad core in there...

Sent from my GT-P6800 using XDA Premium HD app

daigled
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Correct me if I'm wrong ... would a quad core chip even present much of an upgrade over a dual core, considering the application? Seems like overkill to me.

buzzmcfly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Maybe you have a point there... but its a matter of adopting to the newest tech, soon most apps would be so heavy that you'd req a quadcore processor...

burhanistan
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcfly View Post
Maybe you have a point there... but its a matter of adopting to the newest tech, soon most apps would be so heavy that you'd req a quadcore processor...

Except for new games and other niche programs, I suspect that won't be the case for several more years to come.

ascariss
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by daigled View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong ... would a quad core chip even present much of an upgrade over a dual core, considering the application? Seems like overkill to me.
exactly, I am not even sure if programs in windows take advantage of dual or quad cores.

I'd rather take a A15 dual core than quad A9.

Alcibiade
Old
(Last edited by Alcibiade; 21st April 2012 at 04:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinsb View Post
Cripes chaps it's not that difficult to follow.......

The 7.7 was announced almost 8 months ago and in many markets the 3G version is still not even available.

As Sammie themselves (and other manufacturers) are now starting to announce quad core products it'll set expectation in the marketplace that quad core is now the base level.

This discourages buyers from buying dual core products.

Fewer sales means developers less inclined to work on a product that's perceived as out of date.

We, as owners of 7.7 devices get fewer ROM options.
That's why I still haven't purchased it and sticking with my Overclocked original Tab. Hopefully Samsung will come with a 7.7 (2) that will be popular enough
But definitely at this point with little custom ROM available, no CM, and ICS not yet there it makes little sense to upgrade (I might for the battery life since my Tab after 18months starts to show signs of tiredness)
On top of it there is not even a GSM LTE version available (Actually there s in Korea but with different bands form the "usual" ones used in Europe and US)

Tags
7.7, quad core, redundant