Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 40,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

First smartphone, utterly lost

Tip us?
 
GavinGill
Old
(Last edited by GavinGill; 19th April 2012 at 09:49 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default First smartphone, utterly lost

I just got an LG Optimus 2x from Wind and after *thwip*-ing the screen left and right for several hours, it came to my attention that smartphones can do a lot more than simply sliding the screen horizontally. They can do it vertically too. So after several more hours of that and 11 minutes of porn later, I decided I wanted to root this thing. Burying it in soil and sprinkling water on it didn't work for some reason so I questioned the almighty Google - it led me here.

My phone has Froyo 2.2 (I think?) and I want to gain root permissions and upgrade to CM7. At least that's what I was told on Youtube, dude named analcobra said I want CM7 and who am I to question a guy named analcobra?

Any help is appreciated, I'll post a pic of my tits in return.
 
andy1weir@hotmail.co.uk
Old
#2  
andy1weir@hotmail.co.uk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 265
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: edinburgh
well first off welcome to xda, secondly all the info you need is right here just use the search fucntion, people dont like it when you dont use it lol,

i wish i could help you root your phone etc, but i have only just got the o2x myself , did have previous phones but each phone has a different way of getting root etc,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy1weir@hotmail.co.uk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
eraldo
Old
#3  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 94
Posts: 561
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Just download superoneclick, follow instructions, root, download rom manager off android market to flash a recovery image, download cm7 to the root of your sdcard, reboot into recovery and flash cm7 the end, tits please?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eraldo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
salisbury_steak
Old
#4  
salisbury_steak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 648
Posts: 2,227
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manila
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinGill View Post
I just got an LG Optimus 2x from Wind and after *thwip*-ing the screen left and right for several hours, it came to my attention that smartphones can do a lot more than simply sliding the screen horizontally. They can do it vertically too. So after several more hours of that and 11 minutes of porn later, I decided I wanted to root this thing. Burying it in soil and sprinkling water on it didn't work for some reason so I questioned the almighty Google - it led me here.

My phone has Froyo 2.2 (I think?) and I want to gain root permissions and upgrade to CM7. At least that's what I was told on Youtube, dude named analcobra said I want CM7 and who am I to question a guy named analcobra?

Any help is appreciated, I'll post a pic of my tits in return.
Dude, you're funny.

Congrats to both of you for your new toys and welcome to XDA.

My personal recommendation, is to read around, stay at stock for a week. Root it maybe, stay for another week or 2, before choosing the ROM that you want to try first.

Staying on stock with all LG crapware and stuff will allow you to:
1) Know if there are any hardware issues your phone might have which should prompt you to return it to the store.
2) Allow you to appreciate rooting and custom ROMs better.

I also recommend lurking on the Android development threads and back reading maybe 5 pages of the more active threads. That way, you'll know what the pros and cons of each ROM is. And you'll know what you'll get yourself into after flashing. (So you don't cry out that you don't have FM radio when you just flashed an ICS ROM.)

My immediate recommendations for 1st time CyanogenMod flashers would be Temasek's CM7 of course. As it is a very active thread, and support is definitely abundant.

Anyway, adjust your LCD brightness, and prepare to read stuff.

Above all, have fun.
Thank you for thanking!

LG G2 D802 ESA
ROM: Stock (4.4.2) rooted
LG Optimus 2X P990
ROM: CyanogenMod 7 Temasek Unofficial (2.3.7)
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.2.5)

Acer Iconia Tab A510
ROM: Stock (4.1.2) rooted
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.4.9)


Don't have Dropbox yet? Get an additional 500MB cloud storage free (on top of 2GB) by clicking this referral link!
The Following User Says Thank You to salisbury_steak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
DupleX01
Old
(Last edited by DupleX01; 20th April 2012 at 02:24 AM.)
#5  
DupleX01's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 209
Posts: 452
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinGill View Post
I just got an LG Optimus 2x from Wind and after *thwip*-ing the screen left and right for several hours, it came to my attention that smartphones can do a lot more than simply sliding the screen horizontally. They can do it vertically too. So after several more hours of that and 11 minutes of porn later, I decided I wanted to root this thing. Burying it in soil and sprinkling water on it didn't work for some reason so I questioned the almighty Google - it led me here.

My phone has Froyo 2.2 (I think?) and I want to gain root permissions and upgrade to CM7. At least that's what I was told on Youtube, dude named analcobra said I want CM7 and who am I to question a guy named analcobra?

Any help is appreciated, I'll post a pic of my tits in return.
All the folks are right above, proceed accordingly.

However, keep in mind that your device is not an O2X(P990) but a G2X(P999), so to prevent yourself from some hassle(bricking your phone,etc.), check the T-Mobile G2X thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1114

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to DupleX01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
GavinGill
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleX01 View Post
However, keep in mind that your device is not an O2X(P990) but a G2X(P999), so to prevent yourself from some hassle(bricking your phone,etc.), check the T-Mobile G2X thread.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1114
Thanks, probably would have missed that.

Also, what's with the battery on this thing? I switched my phone off last night (at 62%) and when I turned it on this morning, it was at 25%. Is it supposed to lose that much power even while it's turned off, or do I just have a faulty device?[/color]
 
LilProphet
Old
#7  
LilProphet's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 469
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Szentendre
Damn, that's bad. Is it a new phone? I only lose 3-4 percent a night when it's not even turned off (just the screen). But I can imagine it's the fault of the original LG ****ware, I had to install it a week ago because I bricked my phone, and after 2 minutes of the CLEAN install it was already lagging heavily.

Check out my music (hip-hop, electronic beats and remixes):
http://www.youtube.com/user/LilProphetMusic
www.reverbnation.com/lilprophetmusic
The Following User Says Thank You to LilProphet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
salisbury_steak
Old
#8  
salisbury_steak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 648
Posts: 2,227
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manila
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinGill View Post
Thanks, probably would have missed that.

Also, what's with the battery on this thing? I switched my phone off last night (at 62%) and when I turned it on this morning, it was at 25%. Is it supposed to lose that much power even while it's turned off, or do I just have a faulty device?[/color]
How new is your phone? You might just need to drain the batt, then charge it to full.
If it still happens, something's wrong with your phone. Take it back to the shop.

Stock froyo roms only use 1% of battery on idle. (2g network use only. No wifi or gps.)

----------
Sent from my Optimus 2X
Thank you for thanking!

LG G2 D802 ESA
ROM: Stock (4.4.2) rooted
LG Optimus 2X P990
ROM: CyanogenMod 7 Temasek Unofficial (2.3.7)
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.2.5)

Acer Iconia Tab A510
ROM: Stock (4.1.2) rooted
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.4.9)


Don't have Dropbox yet? Get an additional 500MB cloud storage free (on top of 2GB) by clicking this referral link!
The Following User Says Thank You to salisbury_steak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
GavinGill
Old
(Last edited by GavinGill; 20th April 2012 at 08:54 PM.)
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2012
The phone's brand new, I got it like two days ago. The battery was already really low when I got it so I let it die and then charged it back up to like 90% before unplugging it. I'll drain it, charge it again, and then see how things go before returning it I guess. It lost 1% (with the screen turned) off in the last 12 minutes. D:

I don't have a data plan on this (aside from the free 100mb that comes with Wind25) so I had Wind disable the data on it. I also turned off the wifi before turning the phone off last night because I thought it'd save power. Would that have anything to do with it or is my inner noob showing?
 
salisbury_steak
Old
#10  
salisbury_steak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 648
Posts: 2,227
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manila
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinGill View Post
I don't have a data plan on this (aside from the free 100mb that comes with Wind25) so I had Wind disable the data on it. I also turned off the wifi before turning the phone off last night because I thought it'd save power. Would that have anything to do with it or is my inner noob showing?
Yes. Turning off wifi if you're not going to use it would help.
Having an enabled wifi either:
1) Keeps searching for networks that it can connect to
2) Once connected, will background sync/update certain apps. (i.e. Google Play)
Thank you for thanking!

LG G2 D802 ESA
ROM: Stock (4.4.2) rooted
LG Optimus 2X P990
ROM: CyanogenMod 7 Temasek Unofficial (2.3.7)
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.2.5)

Acer Iconia Tab A510
ROM: Stock (4.1.2) rooted
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.4.9)


Don't have Dropbox yet? Get an additional 500MB cloud storage free (on top of 2GB) by clicking this referral link!

The Following User Says Thank You to salisbury_steak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes