5,606,588 Members 36,148 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[USER][CM9/ICS][5-28 PATCH NO LONGER NEEDED] CM9 240 dpi with Soft Navigation Keys

Tip us?

bornagainpenguin
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Alright! Editing the build.prop from within Root Explorer seems to have done the trick for me! This mod does exactly what I want it to do now, I just wish there were a way to get this same effect in CM7 and then everything would be perfect for me until CM9 is fully baked. (I have tons of graphical issues right now. I have faith that CM9 will eventually be perfect, I just don't think it is so yet. Really hoping I'm not being offensive by saying that.)

Thanks for everyone who tried to help me for their patience.

--bornagainpenguin

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 20th April 2012 at 06:02 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post
I've never had great luck remembering the adb commands to push and pull files. I could probably try using root explorer to copy to the SDCard and do it on the netbook? Will look into this.
You don't have to use adb or any netbook. Just once you are in CM, open the file with root explorer and edit it!

Edit: Didn't see your update. Glad you got it fixed. Those density changing apps don't always work right.

What is it you want different with CM7?
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2 here

bornagainpenguin
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
You don't have to use adb or any netbook. Just once you are in CM, open the file with root explorer and edit it!

Edit: Didn't see your update. Glad you got it fixed. Those density changing apps don't always work right.

What is it you want different with CM7?
Softkeys on the bottom, notifications on the top.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 20th April 2012 at 11:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Softkeys on the bottom, notifications on the top.

You can use the CM7 cyanogenmod/tablet tweaks settings to move the status bar to the top and remove the navigation keys from it. Then you could use third party apps like Softkeys or Button Savior to add soft navigation keys to different parts of the screen. They are customizable.

I used Button Savior on the CM9 phone gui until I figured out how to patch the system files. But I liked the status bar/navigation bar combo in CM7 so did not try it there. I did use Softkeys on the old Nook Color rooted stock since it had no real navigation setup.

bornagainpenguin
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
You can use the CM7 cyanogenmod/tablet tweaks settings to move the status bar to the top and remove the navigation keys from it. Then you could use third party apps like Softkeys or Button Savior to add soft navigation keys to different parts of the screen. They are customizable.
I've played with button savior on the MIUI Gingerbread builds, but I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out a way to get it to stay open on the bottom in a bar underneath the dock of Espier Launcher HD no matter what I tried.

Your patch for CM9 is the closest thing to how I want those other buttons to work, only I'd like to have it that way on CM7 (at least until CM9 is able to perform as well as CM7 does now...)

Thanks for putting up with my finickiness

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

leapinlar
Old
Thanks Meter 3407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've played with button savior on the MIUI Gingerbread builds, but I really didn't like it. I couldn't figure out a way to get it to stay open on the bottom in a bar underneath the dock of Espier Launcher HD no matter what I tried.
Have you tried Virtual Button Bar? It may not do what you want but does stay on the bottom. There is a free trial you can try.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bornagainpenguin
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Sorry for the lateness in getting back to you. My Mom is recently back from the hospital and I've been over their place most of the time helping out when I can and I got called away right as I was going to start writing this post. I appreciate your patience with me.

Quote:
Have you tried Virtual Button Bar? It may not do what you want but does stay on the bottom. There is a free trial you can try.
Thanks but no thanks. I'm actually pretty happy with the current patch. I'm looking forward to using it on MIUI whenever the ICS\CM9 port gets updated again.

A few things though...

I did notice that when I am at 180DPI I lose the menu to reboot, ect and only get a shutdown dialogue. This is the same in 200DPI and only at 240DPI does the menu come back. Is this the nature of selecting non-standard DPI or is this a bug of some sort?

I generally stick with 180DPI because it is the highest I can go and still get the phone GUI, but I noticed that many icons in the notification bar are teeny tiny at 180 DPI but just fine when at 160 DPI and 200 DPI. Again, bug or expected behavior?

Occasionally I find myself bumping the hidden buttons on the sides of the bottom bar, not so bad when I trigger the search, but most disconcerting when I put the nook to sleep! Not really a bug, more of a question--is it possible to unhide or remove those buttons?

Finally, while I really do like the way this patch makes things work, I wonder if it would be at all possible to keep the softkey configuration as is on the bottom, put the clock and the notification bar at the top--but use the ICS notifications? Presumably this would allow me to have the softkeys AND the 160 standard DPI resolution, as well as the other tablet beneficial features. Is such a thing possible or desirable?

Thanks again for your patience with me and for sharing your patch with the rest of us, it really makes CM9 much nicer!

--bornagainpenguin

leapinlar
Old
Thanks Meter 3407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

I did notice that when I am at 180DPI I lose the menu to reboot, ect and only get a shutdown dialogue. This is the same in 200DPI and only at 240DPI does the menu come back. Is this the nature of selecting non-standard DPI or is this a bug of some sort?

I generally stick with 180DPI because it is the highest I can go and still get the phone GUI, but I noticed that many icons in the notification bar are teeny tiny at 180 DPI but just fine when at 160 DPI and 200 DPI. Again, bug or expected behavior?

Occasionally I find myself bumping the hidden buttons on the sides of the bottom bar, not so bad when I trigger the search, but most disconcerting when I put the nook to sleep! Not really a bug, more of a question--is it possible to unhide or remove those buttons?

Finally, while I really do like the way this patch makes things work, I wonder if it would be at all possible to keep the softkey configuration as is on the bottom, put the clock and the notification bar at the top--but use the ICS notifications? Presumably this would allow me to have the softkeys AND the 160 standard DPI resolution, as well as the other tablet beneficial features. Is such a thing possible or desirable?
I think the problems you are seeing are because of the non-standard dpi. I used to play with dpi a lot on CM7 and saw many problems like that. When I moved to CM9, I had pretty much decided on 240 so I did not experiment. You know you can go to as low as 161 and still have the phone gui. I think on CM7 most people liked 187 since many of the compatibility issues when away. Just experiment.

I can make you a simple file that you can add yourself that has the hidden buttons removed. I can even change the order of the main buttons for you. But you will need to manually modify the SystemUI file each time I make a new patch. It is not hard to add it, you can do it with a zip manager.

It is not possible to make the changes you are asking about in the last paragraph. My patches are just simple modifications to the standard ics files. Ics comes ready for tablets or phones and all I have to do is configure a couple of settings in the files and it displays it like a phone with no hardware keys.

PM me if you want to pursue the nav bar modification.

envygreen
Old
Thanks Meter 24
First off, I love this patch and your helpful tips thread, so thanks for that!

My thing is, I really like the tablet gui at 160, but my touch recognition is spotty at best. At 240, touch recognition is fantastic, but I really don't like being stuck in phone gui mode with huuuge icons. 200 or even 180 seems to be good for touch recognition still, but I'm still stuck in phone mode.

Is there any way to force tablet gui mode if you're set to > 160?

leapinlar
Old
Thanks Meter 3407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by envygreen View Post
First off, I love this patch and your helpful tips thread, so thanks for that!

Is there any way to force tablet gui mode if you're set to > 160?
Sorry, no. If there were we would not need this patch. Most folks do like the tablet gui, including me, but I hate the tiny fonts at 160.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Tags
240dpi, cm9, navigation keys, soft keys
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe