Forum Moderator
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 2,336

2,670 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by racks11479

Devine_Madcat!!!

Apart from flash working & wallpaper scroll... the non-opengl builds are much smoother. Give that a go, and I'm sure you'll be pleased and surprised at how much smoother it is.

-Racks

Will do... And nice to see ya still kicking around. ;)

For my nook use, flash and wallpaper scroll are meaningless,... I want smooth!
20th April 2012, 11:42 PM   |  #472  
SE Michigan
Thanks Meter: 275

1,146 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat

So, i am hoping that a poor old mod could get some friendly advice. ;)

While i love CM9, i just cannot get over how laggy it is. I feel like i have exhausted my tweaks (OCed @ 1200, perf gov, v6 tweaks, . 59 kernel. Perhaps it is my jaded memories, but CM7 never felt this bad.

For what its worth, i am running on emmc, open gl build from 4/4 (going to try a new build tonight). I see that a majority of people are downloading the gl builds, so i assumed that was the better build...

Advice?

I upgraded from an older build to one just a couple days ago. Wow, big difference.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
21st April 2012, 12:32 AM   |  #473  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,695

8,418 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by racks11479

Apart from flash working & wallpaper scroll...

Racks, wallpaper scroll now works on non-opengl versions too. I agree with you, the few benefits of opengl do not make up for the performance hit it brings. Non-opengl is almost as good as CM7.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 04:02 AM   |  #474  
Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,513

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Racks, wallpaper scroll now works on non-opengl versions too. I agree with you, the few benefits of opengl do not make up for the performance hit it brings. Non-opengl is almost as good as CM7.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Seconded and thirded. My feeling is that the OpenGL builds were really just being made to sate curiosity, and for those who just can't live w/o flash.

I've only flashed those for testing purposes. I can't really take it for more than an hour.

Non-OpenGL is a better daily driver than CM7 now, IMO. With keyodi's kernel commits, I don't have anything left I truly miss.

Edit: and with MX Player set to software decoding and YouTube playing HQ videos, I include flashplayer on the list of things I don't miss. There aren't many internet videos I can't watch, and the ICS advances are more than worth it.
Last edited by mateorod; 21st April 2012 at 04:05 AM.
21st April 2012, 06:15 AM   |  #475  
Forum Moderator
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 2,336

2,670 posts
More
Well, i must say people are correct (which begs the question, why do the OGL builds have 2-3x the downloads?!).. the non GL builds are much better.. i like!
21st April 2012, 06:53 AM   |  #476  
Thanks Meter: 40

306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat

Well, i must say people are correct (which begs the question, why do the OGL builds have 2-3x the downloads?!).. the non GL builds are much better.. i like!

People (myself included) see opengl as a sign of better hardware acceleration and don't fully realize just how much better non-gl performance really is! Liking the nongl version of Cm9

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
21st April 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #477  
Thanks Meter: 12

96 posts
I switched to open-gl builds pretty much since they came out and have never looked at non-open-gl builds. This discussion is quite surprising since I am very happy with my late march open-gl build as a daily driver. The only problem I have is the shorter battery life compared to CM7. But then, I don't watch videos on my NC. Just some Kindle and EZ-PDF apps. And Chrome browser.
21st April 2012, 02:40 PM   |  #478  

306 posts
Well, shoot, I wish I'd tried the non-gl versions sooner!

The only thing that I'm really struggling with now is rotation and an inability to keep the display in portrait mode. I went through the settings in Display to adjust the rotation, but turning them off simply locks the display in landscape.

Also, seeing all kinds of apps refusing to allow installation from the Market, claiming incompatibility, which were installable in the gl version and in CM7. I tried the telephony permission flashable zip but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
Last edited by bornagainpenguin; 21st April 2012 at 03:05 PM.
21st April 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #479  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,695

8,418 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin

Well, shoot, I wish I'd tried the non-gl versions sooner!

The only thing that I'm really struggling with now is rotation and an inability to keep the display in portrait mode. I went through the settings in Display to adjust the rotation, but turning them off simply locks the display in landscape.

Also, seeing all kinds of apps refusing to allow installation from the Market, claiming incompatibility, which were installable in the gl version and in CM7. I tried the telephony permission flashable zip but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

Since you use the phone gui there is a setting which will allow you to lock the rotation in whatever orientation you want. Go to settings/system/notification drawer/widget buttons. There you can select 'toggle orientation'. That adds a button to the notitification area when you pull down the status bar. It allows you to lock orientation in the position it is in at the time. This setting is only available in the phone gui in CM9. The same setting is available in CM7.

The market compatibilty issue is because you set your density to 180, not because of non-opengl. 180 is a non-standard dpi and market will not show many apps with it set there. The solution is to temporarily go back to 160 or 240 to access market. Both are standard resolutions. Then once you have your app, go back to 180.

PS: You mentioned earlier that you are starting fresh with your installs, having to resetup google, etc. I hope that was just while you were debugging the installation of my patch. Ordinarily, the only thing you should do before flashing a new ROM is wipe dalvik cache.
Last edited by leapinlar; 21st April 2012 at 04:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 05:02 PM   |  #480  

306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Since you use the phone gui there is a setting which will allow you to lock the rotation in whatever orientation you want. Go to settings/system/notification drawer/widget buttons. There you can select 'toggle orientation'. That adds a button to the notitification area when you pull down the status bar. It allows you to lock orientation in the position it is in at the time. This setting is only available in the phone gui in CM9. The same setting is available in CM7.

The market compatibilty issue is because you set your density to 180, not because of non-opengl. 180 is a non-standard dpi and market will not show many apps with it set there. The solution is to temporarily go back to 160 or 240 to access market. Both are standard resolutions. Then once you have your app, go back to 180.

PS: You mentioned earlier that you are starting fresh with your installs, having to resetup google, etc. I hope that was just while you were debugging the installation of my patch. Ordinarily, the only thing you should do before flashing a new ROM is wipe dalvik cache.

Yes to one, no to the other. I was able to lock orientation the way you described, but changing to 160 DPI didn't reenable the apps for me. Since I'm noticing other anomalies I'm chalking up to a bad flash and starting over again.

I almost always do it from scratch, coming from a LG Optimus V where that is the recommended way to do stuff. If I have a good nandroid sometimes I try to upgrade but usually I don't have good luck with that.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm9, ics, nightly
Previous Thread Next Thread