Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,300 Members 52,451 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Want to go from CM7 to ICS, need some help

Tip us?

Mintyass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Want to go from CM7 to ICS, need some help

The last time I flashed a custom rom to my phone was CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-N1.

I'd really like to get ICS on it, but the process seems just so much more confusing this time around. If anyone give me a breakdown of what I'd need to do, or even if they could just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Jay_Rulen
Old
Thanks Meter 191
i never messed with that as they are always a lil buggy i like sense better ^_^ try asking people in that thread im sure they be happy to help you bro

sorry i couldn't help
Party ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ at my __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡

Was This Helpful
? Show Some RESPECT & Hit THANKS

NRGZ28 PIMPED MY PHONE ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Google+ Users Add Me >> Yesmrgomes@Gmail.Com <<
PS3 ID >>> Y2Ne1 <<<

Facebook ((( https://www.facebook.com/bangali.rapper )))
Youtube >>> JayRulen <<<

taodan
Old
(Last edited by taodan; 20th April 2012 at 03:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintyass View Post
The last time I flashed a custom rom to my phone was CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1-N1.

I'd really like to get ICS on it, but the process seems just so much more confusing this time around. If anyone give me a breakdown of what I'd need to do, or even if they could just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
There are at least 3 ICS ROMs with 2 are in the working progress and the other we don't know what is the status of it. Spend some time to read first to gain some knowledge and procedures. They are in the Development section of Nexus One. And, remember, once you have Ice Cream Sandwich you don't want to have Gingerbread
DISCLAIMER: Click the button at your own risk! I am not responsible for your mistake.

~!~ Backup Phone: Nexus One ~!~
  • HBOOT: Latest Blackrose S-off
  • Recovery: Amon_RA v2.21
  • ROM: ICS AOKP Milestone 5
  • Kernel: Tiamat & Shaky156 ICS 03142012
  • SD Card: 16GB
~!~ Acer Iconia A500 Tablet ~!~
  • Recovery: CWM rev1.7 by Thor2002ro
  • ROM: CM10 JellyTime 4.1.2
  • Kernel: 2.6.39.4+
  • SD Card: 8GB
The Following User Says Thank You to taodan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

n1newbie
Old
(Last edited by n1newbie; 20th April 2012 at 06:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 257
u can flash this miui ics as like anyother roms before
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1479348
but for other ics roms u need to partition /system. for that first u need to know abt blackrose.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1270589

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to n1newbie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jaiy
Old
(Last edited by Jaiy; 20th April 2012 at 07:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
The process is actually easier than the process you went through to root your phone and install CM7.

First, download the ICS firmware zip file to your phone's sdcard.

Next, make your backup using TitaniumBackup.

For most ICS firmware, you'll need to repartition your hboot. Google for blackrose-manual_120216.zip, download to your computer, unzip and look for the hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0 file. This one is pre-configured with the right partition sizes. Follow the instructions in the README file, which are basically:

Update your recovery firmware, by downloading to your computer and then using fastboot from your computer. I used the Amon-RA recovery for CM and stayed with it for ICS.

On the phone, enable USB Debugging in the CM Developer settings menu.

Boot the phone into the bootloader and go to FastBoot mode. It'll tell you what HBOOT you currently have. Read the instructions in the blackrose README to see which (if any) of the goXX.lol files you need. Then, on the computer:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery goXX.lol
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img
Next, flash the new hboot:
Code:
fastboot flash hboot hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0
The blackrose-manual zip contains fastboot binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. If you need a fastboot for FreeBSD, send me a PM.

Then boot into recovery, do a Nandroid backup, then a full wipe, then install the ICS firmware zip you put on the sdcard earlier.

That should be all. Once the new system is booted, you'll use Titanium again to restore your apps.

For what it's worth, the BCM firmware is based on CM with all the CM additions you're used to, so things will be pretty familiar. It's running well for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaiy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taodan
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaiy View Post
The process is actually easier than the process you went through to root your phone and install CM7.

For most ICS firmware, you'll need to repartition your hboot. Google for blackrose-manual_120216.zip, download to your computer, unzip and look for the hboot_brcust-220-10-206.nb0 file. This one is pre-configured with the right partition sizes. Follow the instructions in the README file, which are basically:

Update your recovery firmware, by downloading to your computer and then using fastboot from your computer. I used the Amon-RA recovery for CM and stayed with it for ICS.

Boot the phone into the bootloader and go to FastBoot mode. It'll tell you what HBOOT you currently have. Read the instructions in the blackrose README to see which (if any) of the goXX.lol files you need. Then, on the computer:
Code:
Code:
The blackrose-manual zip contains fastboot binaries for Linux, Mac and Windows. If you need a fastboot for FreeBSD, send me a PM.

Then boot into recovery, do a Nandroid backup, then a full wipe, then install the ICS firmware zip you put on the sdcard earlier.

That should be all. Once the new system is booted, you'll use Titanium again to restore your apps.

For what it's worth, the BCM firmware is based on CM with all the CM additions you're used to, so things will be pretty familiar. It's running well for me.
Restore apps from GB backup might bring FC. It is better to download them from the Google Play
DISCLAIMER: Click the button at your own risk! I am not responsible for your mistake.

Jaiy
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taodan View Post
Restore apps from GB backup might bring FC. It is better to download them from the Google Play
While, in theory, you are correct, I restored my GB apps using TB because it is very fast to do so. In practice, they all appear to be working just fine. I believe I have run every one of them to make sure.

But I agree that a better general procedure would be to restore the apps themselves from the Play Store then restore your former app data using TB.

Mintyass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaiy View Post

Code:
Code:

This is great! I found blackrose_manual_120216.zip, but the only .nb0 file in it was hboot_blackrose.nb0. Will this work, or do I need to keep looking?

taodan
Old
(Last edited by taodan; 21st April 2012 at 02:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintyass View Post
This is great! I found blackrose_manual_120216.zip, but the only .nb0 file in it was hboot_blackrose.nb0. Will this work, or do I need to keep looking?
The instructions are in the Blackrose thread in the Development section, you don't need to use the manual if you're using Windows.

rugmankc
Old
(Last edited by rugmankc; 21st April 2012 at 04:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1678
I would read the blackrose thread so you understand what you are doing and why. Easier to get out of trouble and harder to get into it. You probably did same for CM7. The blackrose hboot is not easy to work with without knowing what you are doing. The backrose thread has pre requisites in OP, like install of drivers if you don't have them.

You guys sure the fastboot command for the exploit has the word "recovery" in it or should be:

fastboot boot go.lol

where go.lol is exact name of exploit from the actual blackrose binary folder depending what version of blackrose you are fastbooting. could be "fastboot boot go2.lol" etc

just a suggestion--
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer