[How to] get full ubuntu and your favorite desktop in webtop

OP jimbridgman

28th March 2012, 03:21 PM   |  #131  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 8

252 posts
More
Jim,

I'm planning to change my sdcard (bigger size), I'm assuming that I could just mount my old ext3 partition and copy the content ?
29th March 2012, 03:49 AM   |  #132  
Thanks Meter: 18

79 posts
Question
why not use a disk dump img? which is OK and no need to fix anything.
1.just restore it into the sdcard's first/second partition.
2. use a cwm zip file to change the phone to use the new osh partition.
3 reboot, done! enjoy.
when i used Atrix4G, i did it this way. i think it's a little bit easier.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1093790

And with Atrix2 i'm looking for chroot method, but i'm a little confused about the shutdown script(i don't know where to setup scripts which runs when the phone is turning off. this script is needed, cos i have to kill all chrooted system's apps, filesystem should be unmounted correctly with no program running on it) .
any solution for this? thks.
2nd April 2012, 09:50 PM   |  #133  
Thanks Meter: 41

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugwacee

why not use a disk dump img? which is OK and no need to fix anything.
1.just restore it into the sdcard's first/second partition.
2. use a cwm zip file to change the phone to use the new osh partition.
3 reboot, done! enjoy.
when i used Atrix4G, i did it this way. i think it's a little bit easier.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1093790

And with Atrix2 i'm looking for chroot method, but i'm a little confused about the shutdown script(i don't know where to setup scripts which runs when the phone is turning off. this script is needed, cos i have to kill all chrooted system's apps, filesystem should be unmounted correctly with no program running on it) .
any solution for this? thks.

I agreed. I tried it 3 times and could not get it to work
4th April 2012, 05:16 PM   |  #134  

339 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvd0405

I agreed. I tried it 3 times and could not get it to work

I gave this tutorial another try after reading through all the posts and yes, I got it to work. Thanks to Jim and his dedication.

tvd0405
8th April 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #135  

339 posts
I quite not understand this hack. I switched out the sd card today and the webtop still work so I just wonder that I hacked directly to the original webtop. It may be fine for me since I may not install much Linux apps. Most of them does not work anyway.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
18th April 2012, 09:29 AM   |  #136  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 8

252 posts
More
Jim,

right now I'm using (was lfaber's) Supercharged ROM. I'm thinking about trying another ROM. I think I would have to re-run the script right ? but do I have to re-install the packages again ?
20th April 2012, 09:00 AM   |  #137  
Flag Tempe
Thanks Meter: 98

446 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman

This right here tells me that the mount scripts are not correct:

So do the following:

Download this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45576654/mountosh
Download this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45576654/mountosh1

Now run the following again between Code: and End code, from the command line. Go to the directory you downloaded the files above to.

Code:

adb shell
su
cd /data/local
rm mountosh
rm mountosh1
exit
exit

adb push mountosh.tar /data/local
adb push mountosh1.tar /data/local

adb shell
su
cd /data/local
rm /system/bin/mountosh.orig
rm /system/bin/mountosh
tar -xvf mountosh.tar
tar -xvf mountosh1.tar
cp ./mountosh /system/bin/mountosh.orig
cp ./mountosh1 /system/bin/mountosh
chmod 755 /system/bin/mountosh.orig
chmod 755 /system/bin/mountosh
reboot

End code

That should fix the issue you had with the previous hack that got in the way of this one..... That old hack you did was for the OG atrix and it just was not compatible, with this phone, so that is why I started from the hacks that sogarth did and expanded on it, and what mbm did with the files that Motorola left out, and I took all of that and made it work on our phone, with out having to create the ubuntu.disk file, since sogarth's webtop2sd does not work on our phone yet, so I sort of use that hack, but scripted instead of an android app...

Hey Jim, so, I was having problems with the mountosh scripts as well, it would only mount a 1.3 GB partition as /osh whereas the ext3 partition I made is 4GB, so I performed this step to replace the scripts, and now my phone is stuck at the moto logo.... where did I go wrong?
21st April 2012, 12:40 AM   |  #138  
Flag Tempe

446 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please, anyone know what to do? Obviously I can boot into fastboot and do a full wipe, but I'd like to find a way to fix my bootloop...
21st April 2012, 08:35 AM   |  #139  
Flag Tempe

446 posts
Donate to Me
More
Tried reinstalling from a stock system. All I did was do the instructions 100% step-by-step, including making the sdcard partitions in gparted. I was able to get into the terminal and do an apt-get update, but right away I got the "no space left" error. Checked busybox df -h and /dev/webtop is again mounted to /osh with 1.3GB space, while my ext3 partition is 6GB. Put the new mountosh scripts in again from the post I quoted, and again I'm stuck on the boot logo... my question isn't how to get past the stuck boot logo, it's how in the hell do I get /osh mounted to my sdcard?!?!? I literally followed your entire guide from start to finish, on a completely fresh stock system, and the sdcard still isn't mounted at all. Please, help...

EDIT: Interesting... if I open the script manually and run the lines myself, the ext3 sdcard partition actually successfully gets mounted to /osh, and a "busybux df -h" shows it as having 6GB. But, upon reboot, the phone gets stuck at the bootlogo again... so, it must be something in the way of the mountosh scripts being copied manually? But I fail to see the difference between manually copying it and letting the script copying it, and it reboots fine with the script.
Last edited by ShotSkydiver; 21st April 2012 at 12:19 PM.
26th April 2012, 03:39 AM   |  #140  
Flag Lancaster, SC
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
I messed up!
I think I messed up badly. I had the webtop running well after playing around with this tutorial, I even got the terminal to launch and was able to have synaptic to download gnome, but then I realized that osh was not mounted to the partition I made, so I, being the newb I am, tried to manually copy the osh files from / to /sdcard-ext which did not go over fantastically.... now Webtop will boot up sort of. It flashes wildly and the main screen is very tiny and only shows a background and nothing else in the top left corner.. I was trying to move the files from one spot to another on my phone using rootexplorer and my phone restarted itself. I don't have a clue what to do now. I guess I'm mildly retarted. Anyone want to PM me and try to walk me through this?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread