Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 39,738 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Connecting Galaxy tab to Ad hoc Network?

Tip us?

dav3yb
Old
(Last edited by dav3yb; 3rd December 2011 at 05:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
so does this work fine still? is there an updated file from the one back in the early posts? i'll be getting a tab soon, and if i cant connect it to my phone for tether it'll become more and more useless to me, and i do not want that!.

also, is the method of getting the wpa suplicant the same? just use root explorer to copy it so /system/bin?

latoz0
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I was having the same problem but i did an update on my WiFi Tether app to version 3.1 beta7 and now my 2 tabs find my phone and conect to it. I dont have a link but just google wifi tether 3.1
The Following User Says Thank You to latoz0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dav3yb
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i downloaded the app and im hoping its setting up an infrastructure network instead of an ad-hoc... i wont be able to tell until i have something different to test with, but if its using WPA encryption, im kind of thinking its not ad-hoc.

i'll be able to tell for sure tomorrow, but thanks for giving me the heads up on this app. if i'll be able to connect my tab to it without fooling with some wpa files i'll be quite happy. ^___^

johnkim575
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i'm about to throw this piece of crap on the floor and stomp on it Honeycomb doesn't support an app I use for work and now I can't get it to see my wireless tether on my samsung galaxy s 2!!

i guess I am one of those folks who need an Ipad2 instead as I just want an easy way to root and have apps that work for me.

Sucks cause I bought this refurb at $320 and can't return it. Hello craigslist.[COLOR="Silver"]

dav3yb
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I just got home and followed the steps to get ad-hoc support on my new vzw galaxy tab. The wifi tether app would connect, but would stop transmitting data to my tab after a few minutes. So I grab the suplicant file, buy root explorer, backup/replace the old supplicant file, and im now sending this via tethered to my galaxy phone with barnacle. Going to put it through some paces to see how well it does.

Thanks for everyone who contributed to the thread with any info, it was all very helpful ^_____^

Sent from my SCH-I800 using XDA App

wenderis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
okay..where to start.

im using SGT P-1000 rooted n running with overcome 4.0. for intrnt connection im using connectify adhoc from my laptop which work great with my Milestone but SGT P-1000 didnt even detect the adhoc connection.

Ive downloaded the wpa_supplicant n tried everything with it.

first i used root explorer to copy n paste it to /system/bin, n it detected my connectify adhoc connection from my laptop but when i tried to connect with it, it just keep on looping from connecting, obtaining ip address, disconnected n back to connecting. ive tried several 3rd party apps but they just doing the same thing.

and then i tried to push it from adb on recovery mode (very much a noob on adb). tried it by adb push directly, n then try it by remount n shell 1st n then push it. but it keeps on telling me either adb is not found or push not found. so i tried on mv-ing it directly to system/bin. (btw whats the difference between push and mv?)

n still my adhoc conn just keep on looping to hell and back on SGT P1000

do anyone have a solution that i can try that does not involve stamping n throwing away my SGT P1000?
very much appreciate to this forum n its member for all the amazing help

androidlearner
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esxna View Post
After rooting my tab I found this link on the forums: forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7711198&postcount=6

Grabbing the wpa_supicant file from there all I did was use root explorer, which can be found in the android market, to back up my existing wpa_supplicant found in the
/system/bin/ directory at the bottom. Then I copied the newly downloaded file
(after extracting it) and placed it in the above mentioned directory. You will have to press
The r/w button at the top of root explorer in order to enable read write permissions in
/system/bin . I tested this with the wireless tether on my droid original and it works
as advertised.

I am not the one who created this solution nor am I the one who compiled wpa_supplicant
All credit goes to the original author of the solution. I merely wish to convey to you that this solution worked for me. I hope this helps.

*It is important to note th at this was done using a rooted verizon galaxy tab. You will
Have to be at least rooted for this solution to have any chance of working. I used z4root
in order to root my device which can be found by searching these forums or the android market and again I dont claim any credit or participation in the creation of that app.

Posted from my Samxung Galaxy Tab
I tried doing this but I was messing with another method last night... My wpa_supplicant files are all screwed up... is there a way to get the original configuration and basically *reset* my wpa files? I know I know.... shame on me for not doing backup =( help would be very greatly appreciated!!!

circle.work
Old
(Last edited by circle.work; 11th January 2012 at 11:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidlearner View Post
I tried doing this but I was messing with another method last night... My wpa_supplicant files are all screwed up... is there a way to get the original configuration and basically *reset* my wpa files? I know I know.... shame on me for not doing backup =( help would be very greatly appreciated!!!
I've done the same thing, I sent the wpa to email but its not come through with the attachment, now my Galaxy Tab 10.1 cant get any wireless, please help. Or will i have to do a factory reset?? Can someone email me there WPA file??

androidlearner
Old
(Last edited by androidlearner; 13th January 2012 at 02:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
ZT-180 ad hoc switcher. Its an app on the market that switches your signal adhoc and infrastructure. I use it to tether to my droid 1 (which uses Wireless Tether, app) :). This means no editing wpa but you can only connect to either adhoc or infrastructure at a time, you have to switch to do the other. Just a button press though.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

JY1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well it does not seem to work on my Galaxy Tab Plus. I get an error.

Tags
ad hoc network, galaxy tab, wifi