Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 45,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

【Guide】How To flash ANY Captivate ROM from Stock (including ICS)

Tip us?

gammonjoshua
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdithug View Post
Regarding everything in my last post.... i have almost everything working now thank god.

1) MMS is still not working, although that is an issue with the rom i believe.

2) Contacts not syncing - I deleted all my contacts on my phone. The phone asked me what I wanted to do because I deleted so many of them, I selected Delete. I logged into my google account on my laptop, and selected contacts and they were all gone. So I restored my contacts (Google I guess has a backup of your contacts dating back quite a bit) . I went on my phone and deleted my google account information. Rebooted, and added my same existing google account again, sync'd and everything worked fine.

3) Battery issue, I flashed the glitch kernel, which not only gave me more options with this rom, but I think its also increaased my battery life. Ill know for sure in a couple days I guess

4) After flashing the glitch kernel, and changing the USB Storage mode, I could now access both internal and external storage. I fixed my multiple music files by deleting the Storage Data (cache) and rebooting, allowing the phone to properly scan the memory cards and update the storage data.

Hope that helps for anyone having those issues
In number 4 of your post where did you change the USB storage mode? I can't find it. I can't see my external SD card from my PC ether.

TRusselo
Old
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2756

DONATE TO ME
Boot into glitch CWM recovery> glitch options >USB mode

gammonjoshua
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRusselo View Post
Boot into glitch CWM recovery> glitch options >USB mode
For god sake! Got it. I can see my internal SD card but not my external. I'll keep looking. Thanks TRusselo.

bdithug
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Quote:
For god sake! Got it. I can see my internal SD card but not my external. I'll keep looking. Thanks TRusselo.
What I find is if I switch my USB mode to USB Mass Storage, I will only be able to see my internal storage. When I switch to MTP Mode and reboot, I then see my phone in My Computer. When I select it, I can view SD Card (external card) or USB Storage (internal).

Hope that helps

jessie57
Old
Thanks Meter 0
this method worked flawlessly on my captivate. running slim ics now and i'm loving it. thank you for this.

jtfuel76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you so much for the step-by-step.

Worked great on Rogers I896 which was running 2.3.3

caanda45
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Hey TRusselo coming back to the old captivate while my SGS2 goes into Sammy for repair, can I use the Odin 1.85 as the flashing utility? I read the bootloader warning. Let me know and thanks.
Always pay it Forward!!!
If I helped you just hit the thanks button!!!

TRusselo
Old
Thanks Meter 2756

DONATE TO ME
You can use any version of Odin, But if you are flashing boot loaders, use the PDA box not the boot loader box. Just like the warning said..
The Following User Says Thank You to TRusselo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

caanda45
Old
(Last edited by caanda45; 26th April 2012 at 01:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRusselo View Post
You can use any version of Odin, But if you are flashing boot loaders, use the PDA box not the boot loader box. Just like the warning said..
Okay ran into a bit of a problem last night, fixed it with your back to stock odin. I re rooted and want to get cwm on the phone...can you direct me how to do this and then I can flash a new rom??? I think I will re read your 1 st post, that seems like what I should do, as i have a thick head maybe the issue was the bootlaoder...please explain it again...sorry did this last night when I was tired which was probably very very stupid or me!!! Please advise. I am on GB 2.3.3...thanks!!

Reboot phone into DOWNLOAD mode (instructions below)
Click RESET button in Odin (beside START)
Click PDA button in Odin and find your kernel.tar file (speedmod kernel (this kernel isn't too important as it will be replaced by custom rom's kernel, but speedmod kernel understands both froyo (amend) scripting and gingerbread (edify) scripting so is great for this purpose to install any rom cwm zip file next.)
Click "Start" in Odin
Reboot into RECOVERY mode (instructions below) ** Use volume buttons to navigate up/dn and pwr for enter.
Select "flash zip from sd card"
Find your rom of choice on your SDcard and select Yes

So as I have GB 2.3.3 I only have to do the speedmod kernel and then flash Darkknight rom???

Thanks sorry for being such a noob, the SGS2 is easier and it seems that I have forgotten all my Captivate stuff, just can`t stand stock even if it will only be a month or two....lol
Always pay it Forward!!!
If I helped you just hit the thanks button!!!

TRusselo
Old
(Last edited by TRusselo; 26th April 2012 at 02:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2756

DONATE TO ME
if you have gingerbread, you have gingerbread bootloaders.

so yes odin flash the speedmod kernel,
immediately reboot to recovery (dont need to boot to android)
flash rom.
done.