Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,981 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Proximity sensor issue.

Tip us?

Kennnny1
Old
Thanks Meter 58
My display stays off as well. Does not seem hardware related to me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

cstrife999
Old
Thanks Meter 231
My display stays off as well. Noticed this today when trying to switch to speakerphone. Just press the power button nothing really wrong with it.

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
Despite the fact that nobody has actually had that happen yet???

So you will void the warranty instead... so if you really break it, you don't have no repair option at all.

This makes more sense... but even then there, it is not 100% you will get a refurbed unit or that you will have problems with what you get.

BTW, my stock unit doesn't turn the display on when you take your face away from the screen. I always have to press one of the volume keys to get the display back on (easier than reaching the power button)
I have already had this phone apart and the little green void sticker is already gone.
I guess if everyone is having this same issue, it must be a design flaw. I doubt I will correct it by changing the sensor. The screen is supposed to come back on when you remove the phone from your face, unless that's a software bug in sense.

jazzyjames
Old
Thanks Meter 68
The real question is does it work in 100% stock Gingerbread no custom anything. If it does work then it could be a app or the kernel if it doesn't work then its hardware.
How is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyjames View Post
The real question is does it work in 100% stock Gingerbread no custom anything. If it does work then it could be a app or the kernel if it doesn't work then its hardware.
How is this such a hard concept for people to grasp?

If you look at my op I was on 100% stock gingerbread other than a kernel. If everyone has the same problem, yes it is hardware related, but it is a design flaw. It is unlikely that everyone who posted has a bad proximity sensor.

jazzyjames
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Yes I did read and as you just posted your not on 100% pure stock. You said stock rom, but never said stock ics or gingerbread but like I said best way to test is go 100% stock no mods at all and even go the route of no extra apps, it may seem extreme but its crazy all apps that can cause issues.

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Here is the real question. Does your screen always go off when you cover the sensor. Mine does not. I have to try several times, and when it finally does turn off, it only sometimes comes back on. other times, I have to press the power button. Who else is experiencing this?

steven.rn
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Mine acts as if it had no proximity sensor at all. Programs say it does, but it always reads that something is zero cm. away from it... power button is the only way I've found to turn the screen back on.
The Following User Says Thank You to steven.rn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnwaynegacy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
I bet a lot of HTC phones have this issue. When I searched the number for this sensor, a lot of their phones came up as results. I think we are all running bugged hardware.