Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 43,275 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] SD Partition for Encryption Unsuccessful (ICS Bug)

Tip us?

krazyhand
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrube View Post
What ROM were you on specifically and did you happen to be plugged into your PC between the last time you rebooted and then got the error?

Btw sdcards are reasonably cheap no days. You can pick up a 16gb at retail for around $30us max. I just picked up another 32gb class 10 the other day for $36 off eBay. And yes it is real, 4th time I have bought from same purveyor. Not dealer, but purveyor.
I was using ICS passion 13.1 and yes I did have it plugged into the PC when I rebooted just before the error, trying to provide any information I can because no one wants to lose all that internal storage and if I can help solve the problem I'm down. To answer your thing about the SD cards yeah i'll be picking one up probably later today after work, I need my music and pictures.

silvercrown266
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfu View Post
You got it to run stock jfd on internal or no?
At 1st i thought it was running on internal lol! But when i boot without the SD card that`s the time i realized the internal is inaccessible, the phone was stuck on the vibrant logo and after further investigation jfd was installed on the 2gig partition of my SD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfu View Post
Yes, I think best ICS out there.
Coudn`t agree more... I`ve tried almost everything and by far Slim is the best out there for vibrant! (IMHO it could be the Bionix of ICS) Zen is next...

snfu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercrown266 View Post
Coudn`t agree more... I`ve tried almost everything and by far Slim is the best out there for vibrant! (IMHO it could be the Bionix of ICS) Zen is next...
Haha love the Bionix of ICS quote

Either way, wish this hadn't happened. Sold my phone this afternoon. Now I just need to find a replacement to hold me over until contract is up.

krazyhand
Old
(Last edited by krazyhand; 21st April 2012 at 03:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
I want to actually get mine as far as being able to flash more roms and actually be able to use my sdcard as a work around but I can't even seem to get into stock recovery. **** sucks.

edit: Actually got it into recovery and into CMW even but when it I try and re-partition i only get as far as 1gb of re-partition and if I try doing that it throws no errors and says done 2 seconds later.

2nd edit: I'm stupid and can't read lol, the 5th post described my problem and am progressing from there.

3rd and final: Got everything working as it should, also couldn't find my device through adb but was able to do it through root explorer. Thanks a lot : D

Viruss57
Old
(Last edited by Viruss57; 22nd April 2012 at 05:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Alright guys.. I would really appreciate some help at this point. I've been searching the last few days, trying different things, and I've tried everything I've been able to dig up. I cannot get this to work at all.

I have a Vibrant and was rolling with the Passion 13.1 rom with no issues whatsoever for a long time. It was perfectly fine for weeks, very smooth with no issues at all. I plugged in my charger the other night, was distracted while I thought it was charging, and then I looked over and saw the shining 'ANDROID' logo in the center of my screen. I was not using any battery mods or anything like that. I was NOT connected to my PC - in fact, I hadn't used my usb cable for weeks prior to this 'Encryption Unsuccessful' fiasco the other night. However, like I said, it did happen roughly ten minutes after I plugged my phone into an ac adapter.

With that said, I've tried following the directions in this topic. After doing steps 1-8 with no problems, I can't get past Step 9. When I flash an ICS rom, I can't get it to boot up. I've tried SlimICS, Passion, and Euphoria. Whenever I boot it up, it goes straight to CWM Recovery. It's basically a bootloop because I can't get past CWM and into the OS. Also, just for the heck of it I tried doing the adb commands as well. My phone is recognized and I see the serial number, and remount is hit or miss, but I cannot pull vold.fstab. Sometimes it looks like it went through (gives a message about the kb transferred per second) but it never shows up in the platform-tools folder. Most often, I've gotten the message saying that "/system/etc/vold.fstab" does not exist.

I'm really stuck at this point. I had to do the advice in post #10 so I could partition my sd card, which worked. As of now, I'm staying at Step 2 with a half-functional Froyo. For storage, everything says '00,' 'Unavailable,' etc. I can get into download mode, I've got adb set up, odin works, etc. I'm just stuck.

Also, I do have Gingerbread bootloaders if that makes a difference (from when I installed Passion). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

silvercrown266
Old
(Last edited by silvercrown266; 22nd April 2012 at 12:29 PM.) Reason: forgot some steps...
Thanks Meter 41
Edited post: (forgot some steps)

Do these extra step.
After installing an ICS Rom (try using IC Zen) go into its recovery and REPARTITION again.
After repartition you need to power off (pull battery out) and copy the update.zip and the ICS Rom in the root of your SD Card.
Go into recovery and reinstall update.zip again, if you dont see the new recovery do it again.
While in the NEW recovery reset to factory, wipe cache, and install again the ICS Rom.

Try IC Zenwich it worked for me very well after i got a bootloop after instaling Passion.

If you are still in a bootloop, try doing these same step using another ICS Rom.

Note:
After you successfully repartition your SD you dont need to go back to step 1.
Stay on the ICS recovery and from there you can do the the usual factory reset, wiping cache, flashing another ICS Rom.

See if this work

Viruss57
Old
(Last edited by Viruss57; 23rd April 2012 at 12:07 AM.) Reason: Clarification.
Thanks Meter 13
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your instructions but I'm still getting some issues. When I try to reinstall update.zip, I get an error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

The file is certainly on the sd card, no doubt. Keep in mind I did have to use ICS_Passion_v13_cleanup.zip so I could partition my sd card.. I flashed that once again since basically that 'is' my update.zip and that was fine.

Tried to install Zen, but now I'm stuck in a bootloop with Deficient Touch Recovery v5.5.0.4. I've tried Passion/Euphoria/Slim as well and they all just put me into a bootloop with the regular ICS recovery.

Any ideas? Should I just try to do everything over once again?

Thanks.

Update: To clarify, Zen did flash fine without throwing any errors. However, whenever I boot, it goes straight to recovery every time (the Deficient one). I'll sit tight at this point I guess. Wiping cache and factory reset don't make a difference with the boot.

More info: ADB recognizes my phone and can also mount fine. Pulling doesn't seem to do anything, possibly since I've never gotten any ICS rom to boot from the external and the files haven't been created. I have the GB bootloaders so VOL+ and POWER are what normally put me into download mode. When I do that, I get a screen with small red text and POWER REST OR UNKNOWN UPLOAD MODE in yellow lettering. I can get into download mode fine if I hold vol+/vol-, plug in the usb, and then put in the battery while holding vol+/vol-. I might try to go back to the regular bootloaders just to see if it's the GB bootloaders (from when I had Passion) messing things up.

Update: Flashed Vibrant Stock FROYO Bootloaders, and then reflashed GB bootloaders after that. Took about five minutes, but Zen booted up! I've got the 'Insert an SD card before using the camera' error, but it's looking good from here. Onwards with the guide I go!

Final update: Good to go, big thanks to Silver and to the OP for the guide. Used Root Browser to edit vold.fstab. No errors when I open up the camera anymore, and Zen is crazy smooth. Storage looks perfect as well.. 13GB is more than enough space for me anyways. Hopefully there'll be some sort of fix for the (now dead) internal memory sometime in the future. It's nice to have my phone back - well done fellas! Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viruss57 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fagnerkof
Old
(Last edited by fagnerkof; 23rd April 2012 at 12:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merio90 View Post
You may not be able to access the external SD card directly from your phone but here are some other options that do not involve adb which are probably the easiest way to get cwm.

Copy CWM update.zip by:

1. You can remove your sd card from your phone. Insert that very sd card into another phone or device which has an sd slot.

2. You can use an sd card adapter. (If your pc has a sd card reader)

3. Or you can do it the hard way adb.
adb push update.zip /emmc/

Your choice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
Using the PC, I put the update.zip on a 2gb sd card and then tried to apply update.zip through recovery menu, but not only it didn't work, as well it deleted all the sd content (it only tries to apply the update.zip from /sdcard/; not from /emmc/ and I don't have the option to do this either). Looks like I'm out of ideas of what to do now.

silvercrown266
Old
(Last edited by silvercrown266; 23rd April 2012 at 12:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viruss57 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your instructions but I'm still getting some issues. When I try to reinstall update.zip, I get an error:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

The file is certainly on the sd card, no doubt. Keep in mind I did have to use ICS_Passion_v13_cleanup.zip so I could partition my sd card.. I flashed that once again since basically that 'is' my update.zip and that was fine.

Tried to install Zen, but now I'm stuck in a bootloop with Deficient Touch Recovery v5.5.0.4. I've tried Passion/Euphoria/Slim as well and they all just put me into a bootloop with the regular ICS recovery.

Any ideas? Should I just try to do everything over once again?

Thanks.

Update: To clarify, Zen did flash fine without throwing any errors. However, whenever I boot, it goes straight to recovery every time (the Deficient one). I'll sit tight at this point I guess. Wiping cache and factory reset don't make a difference with the boot.

More info: ADB recognizes my phone and can also mount fine. Pulling doesn't seem to do anything, possibly since I've never gotten any ICS rom to boot from the external and the files haven't been created. I have the GB bootloaders so VOL+ and POWER are what normally put me into download mode. When I do that, I get a screen with small red text and POWER REST OR UNKNOWN UPLOAD MODE in yellow lettering. I can get into download mode fine if I hold vol+/vol-, plug in the usb, and then put in the battery while holding vol+/vol-. I might try to go back to the regular bootloaders just to see if it's the GB bootloaders (from when I had Passion) messing things up.
I think you are making a headway now... i will also note that when i did this fix i used just the Froyo Bootloaders. I did not change to GB Bootloaders throughout this fix. So your GB Bootloaders could be a factor... I never bothered to mention this bacause i though bootloaders won't matter...

Quote:
Update: Flashed Vibrant Stock FROYO Bootloaders, and then reflashed GB bootloaders after that. Took about five minutes, but Zen booted up! I've got the 'Insert an SD card before using the camera' error, but it's looking good from here. Onwards with the guide I go!
Everythings looking good now, it's now a matter of changing some text of vold.fstab as stated in the OP so that your phone will read/recognize the partition in your SD.

After everything has settled... it's now time to install the ICS Rom you like.
It will be clean install this time, after all the chaos and struggle to make everything to work... I would suggest the IC Zen or the Slim not because i loved this Roms but because they are newer Roms that have lots of fixes in them.

The process will be like the usual way of installing any new Rom.

-Save your fave Rom in the root of your SD.
-Wipe date/factory reset
-Wipe cache partition
-Wipe Dalvik in Advance ( i don't know if it help but i do it anyway)
-Format System in Mounts and Storage ( i think this is needed for any new install)
-Flash Lippols Kernel Cleaning Script (it adds freshness to the newly installed Rom just to be sure that there's no ghost of previous kernels left)
-Flash your fave Rom!
-Reboot and once again change the text of your vold.fstab ( you do this every time you flash new ICS Rom)
-Let it settle and Enjoy your fave ICS Rom!

Note:
I'm running Slim 3.4 now, to me it's the slickest, most stable out of the box i have no issues at all (except for a few bugs here and there in the custom features of the Rom which i guess is normal) and ICZen is sick too!
I usually use "Root Browser" in changing vold.fstab, just download it from the Play Store. To me, it's the most convenient...

Anyway, Goodluck! Hope this help!

[/COLOR]
Quote:

Final update: Good to go, big thanks to Silver and to the OP for the guide. Used Root Browser to edit vold.fstab. No errors when I open up the camera anymore, and Zen is crazy smooth. Storage looks perfect as well.. 13GB is more than enough space for me anyways. Hopefully there'll be some sort of fix for the (now dead) internal memory sometime in the future. It's nice to have my phone back - well done fellas! Thank you.
Im happy that you have your phone back to life!
Thanks OP the most! Hit those thanks button!
The Following User Says Thank You to silvercrown266 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Merio90
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnerkof View Post
Using the PC, I put the update.zip on a 2gb sd card and then tried to apply update.zip through recovery menu, but not only it didn't work, as well it deleted all the sd content (it only tries to apply the update.zip from /sdcard/; not from /emmc/ and I don't have the option to do this either). Looks like I'm out of ideas of what to do now.
Just so you know the update.zip is CWM recovery. If you still have access to CWM just proceed as i mentioned in the first post and create the partition. Also since you have a just a 2gb sd card i recommend you use a smaller size than 2gb when creating the partition. Otherwise you will have no space at all so save music etc. You should get a larger sd card.

Open odin and reflash the 2.2 tar listed in the first post. Once it has finished flashing. Copy the update.zip if you already haven't. Power off your phone. Enter recovery using the 3 button combo. Once stock recovery shows up hit reinstall packages until it finally installs. Then proceed to create the partition. Then follow the rest of the steps in the guide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

The Following User Says Thank You to Merio90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]