Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tegra 3 VS Mali-400 ?

Tip us?
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#11  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4127
Posts: 8,631
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderbox (UK) View Post
The Mali 400 is old now
Technically, so is Teg3. S4 uses 28nm and the 4212 uses 32nm. Teg3 is two 45nm A9 chips glommed together because Nvidia wanted to be first to market with a next-gen chip. It's the least advanced of any of the three SoCs. From a GPU perspective none of the three really move the ball forward and are just evolutionary vs. revolutionary. If I had to guess best overall performance I’d say 4212, Teg3, and S4 in that order. Because S4 and the 4212 are on smaller dies they’ll be more efficient and handily beat Teg3 at battery life (except maybe at idle).
 
Tinderbox (UK)
Old
(Last edited by Tinderbox (UK); 20th April 2012 at 11:30 PM.)
#12  
Tinderbox (UK)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 123
Posts: 950
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Shields
delete post.
STOCK - HTC ONE M7 - STEALTH BLACK - FA359W - SHARP DISPLAY
Samsung Galaxy S3
 
Souai
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 100
Posts: 489
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
Technically, so is Teg3. S4 uses 28nm and the 4212 uses 32nm. Teg3 is two 45nm A9 chips glommed together because Nvidia wanted to be first to market with a next-gen chip. It's the least advanced of any of the three SoCs. From a GPU perspective none of the three really move the ball forward and are just evolutionary vs. revolutionary. If I had to guess best overall performance I’d say 4212, Teg3, and S4 in that order. Because S4 and the 4212 are on smaller dies they’ll be more efficient and handily beat Teg3 at battery life (except maybe at idle).
tegra3 is actually made on the 40nm. nvidia still has tsmc's 40nm process and is migrating towards 28nm with desktop GPUs and will eventually migrate to 28nm with the tegra3+.
The Following User Says Thank You to Souai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ryanjsoo
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 481
Join Date: Dec 2011
i hate how people always say that its a bad thing that apple didn`t upgrade the gpu but fust added more cores or samsung didn`t change the mali 400 gpu. the fact is that the mali and sgx543mp2 were ahead when they were released. now there is actual competition like the adreno 320 and tegra 3/4. a simple overclocked sgx or mali chip is enough to keep up with the competition.
 
Sekhen
Old
(Last edited by Sekhen; 25th July 2012 at 08:23 AM.)
#15  
Sekhen's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post
The Mali's performance is the same as the Tegra 3's in graphics benchmarks I've done on my Note Vs my Prime and my One X (just goes to show how average the Tegra 3 GPU really is I think, no better than something at least 6 months older). Disappointing it's not the upgraded GPU if that is accurate, but doesn't differentiate the products at all.
Mali 400/450 is a 2nd generation GPU like tegra 2, only 44 millions polygons/sec, My Adreno 205 is 41 millions & The Tegra 3 is 129 millions.
Gameloft games in the end of 2012 will need 100 millions...

The Mali 3rd generation is Mali T-604/640 & Mali say that's it is 500% the performances of previous Mali GPU's :

http://www.arm.com/products/multimed.../mali-t604.php

500% is using quad-core optimised applis (only tegra 3 will have it in less than 2 years) but it's 250% in dual-core...

As Tegra 3 is equal to T-604, Mali 400 is pawned...

-1st gen (Adreno 200, mali 200/300, SGX Power VR 520/530 & tegra 1)
-2nd gen (Adreno 205, Mali 400MP/450MP, SGX Power VR 540/554 & tegra 2)
-3rd gen (Adreno 220/225/320, Mali T604/640, SGX Power VR G 6200/6430 & Tegra 3)

[Mediatek MT 6575 Dual-sim HSPA Soc 40 nm
CPU Cortex™ A9 at 1 Ghz (Neon™ - VFP v3 - 1 Mo Cache L2 )
GPU SGX PowerVR ™ 531 at 200 mhz (128 bits mem bus - 22 Mtri/sec - 700 Mpix/sec - HD720 HW Encod/Decod )
1 Go RAM 400 MHz LPDDR2
20 Go ROM (4 Go internal memory & 16 Go Class 10 TDK® MicroSD)
4,3" qHD (960*540) TFT capacitive touchscreen
5 Mpixels HDR & HD720 camera
Android 4.03 Acer® stock : 3.0.13 Kernel & ICS 4.0.3 ROM - SuperUser Elite ]

Acer Liquid Gallant duo [E350]
 
hamdir
Old
#16  
hamdir's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13143
Posts: 20,814
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekhen View Post
Mali 400/450 is a 2nd generation GPU like tegra 2, only 44 millions polygons/sec, My Adreno 205 is 41 millions & The Tegra 3 is 129 millions.
Gameloft games in the end of 2012 will need 100 millions...

The Mali 3rd generation is Mali T-604/640 & Mali say that's it is 500% the performances of previous Mali GPU's :

http://www.arm.com/products/multimed.../mali-t604.php

500% is using quad-core optimised applis (only tegra 3 will have it in less than 2 years) but it's 250% in dual-core...

As Tegra 3 is equal to T-604, Mali 400 is pawned...

-1st gen (Adreno 200, mali 200/300, SGX Power VR 520/530 & tegra 1)
-2nd gen (Adreno 205, Mali 400MP/450MP, SGX Power VR 540/554 & tegra 2)
-3rd gen (Adreno 220/225/320, Mali T604/640, SGX Power VR G 6200/6430 & Tegra 3)
link to your numbers about Tegra 3?
 
libiao0928
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 26
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Xi'An
I have not used any device with Mali 400. Sorry mate~~
 
Slash888
Old
#18  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2011
I think that tegra 3 is better but we have to attend the 3.x kernel to solve the battery problem properly.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
 
schriss
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 1,319
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dublin
Mali-400 is good and strong and Tegra 3 might not be the fastest one there is, but it's the only one that gets best looking games. On top of that, Tegra 3 Plus is coming soon and then next year another one with direct x and supposed console-like performance. See what Nvidia does for desktops and just hope they keep the pace with mobile GPU and we will get there too. I don't really consider non-tegra device unless it amazes me with noticeably better power efficiency or optimized games start coming out for it.
Would you buy non-nvidia and non-ati graphics card for your pc?
HTC One
Previous: Asus Padfone 2, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Desire Z, HTC Touch Pro2, i-Mate Ultimate 9502, iPhone 3G
 
ericpeacock79
Old
#20  
ericpeacock79's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 71
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
Mali-400 is good and strong and Tegra 3 might not be the fastest one there is, but it's the only one that gets best looking games. On top of that, Tegra 3 Plus is coming soon and then next year another one with direct x and supposed console-like performance. See what Nvidia does for desktops and just hope they keep the pace with mobile GPU and we will get there too. I don't really consider non-tegra device unless it amazes me with noticeably better power efficiency or optimized games start coming out for it.
Would you buy non-nvidia and non-ati graphics card for your pc?
Exactly!

Given the choice, I would buy a Tegra device over anything else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes