5,597,937 Members 38,727 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can i root my Xperia PLAY 4g???

Tip us?

captain67
Old
Thanks Meter 218

DONATE TO ME
The trick is to root the older firmware, and update through OTA so you keep root. It must be OTA, not PC companion or SEUS.
Devices

LG Nexus 4 | Stock 4.2.2

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 | Wanamlite v14

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY | JokaWild 2.5 | DooMKernel v13 -Sold

Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1 4G | Stock ICS -Sold

Firmware Collection for Xperia PLAY | Flashtool | JokaWild ROM | DooMKernel | SiyahKernel for GSII | CheckROM for GSII

neverwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
OK... I just bought the same phone, AT&T unlocked 4G, Android version 2.3.3., but it is build # 3.0.1.B.0.285... does this mean that I can't root it? Anything I can do to get it to root? Like flashing something or some other method?

Spectre51
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1269

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwinter View Post
OK... I just bought the same phone, AT&T unlocked 4G, Android version 2.3.3., but it is build # 3.0.1.B.0.285... does this mean that I can't root it? Anything I can do to get it to root? Like flashing something or some other method?
Use flashtool to go to either the earlier AT&T build or a generic build.

Current Phones/Tablets:
Xperia Z1 // Xperia Z Ultra // Lumia 1020 // Xperia Z // Xperia Tablet Z // Surface Pro
Accessories
Sony Smartwatch MN2 // Sony Smart Wireless Headset pro MW1 // Smart Bluetooth Handset SBH52 // Z Ultra Power Cover CP12
Past Phones/Tablets:
iPhone 1st Gen/3GS/4S // Nexus One // Dell Streak // Atrix 4g // Lumia 900, 920 // Xperia Play, S, P, ion, TL // iPad 1, 3

Click here for my Xperia firmware downloads.
Use the Thanks button if I helped.

neverwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Is there a way to backup or dump the firmware I do have? In case I want to restore it?

Spectre51
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1269

DONATE TO ME
I posted a ftf file for the .285 build in the general section. Its probably a few pages in. You can use it through flashtool to get back to stock .285

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Current Phones/Tablets:
Xperia Z1 // Xperia Z Ultra // Lumia 1020 // Xperia Z // Xperia Tablet Z // Surface Pro
Accessories
Sony Smartwatch MN2 // Sony Smart Wireless Headset pro MW1 // Smart Bluetooth Handset SBH52 // Z Ultra Power Cover CP12
Past Phones/Tablets:
iPhone 1st Gen/3GS/4S // Nexus One // Dell Streak // Atrix 4g // Lumia 900, 920 // Xperia Play, S, P, ion, TL // iPad 1, 3

neverwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks a lot... I just rooted my phone now... now I am waiting forever to get the battery application installed.

neverwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
So since I flashed and rooted my 4g XPlay, will updating it to .285 create any problems? Like not being able to root again or not being able to have root access? And is it better to have .285?

Spectre51
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1269

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So since I flashed and rooted my 4g XPlay, will updating it to .285 create any problems? Like not being able to root again or not being able to have root access? And is it better to have .285?
You can go to .285 if you update over the air and keep root. Any other way and you will lose root and you can't root .285

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Current Phones/Tablets:
Accessories
Past Phones/Tablets:

neverwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre51 View Post
You can go to .285 if you update over the air and keep root. Any other way and you will lose root and you can't root .285

Sent from my iPhone 4s
Sorry, what is over the air? And what is not over the air? You are referring to BT?

captain67
Old
Thanks Meter 218

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sorry, what is over the air? And what is not over the air? You are referring to BT?
Over the air is when you update from the phone itself using wifi, instead of plugging it into USB.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away..
Devices

LG Nexus 4 | Stock 4.2.2

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 | Wanamlite v14

Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY | JokaWild 2.5 | DooMKernel v13 -Sold

Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1 4G | Stock ICS -Sold

Firmware Collection for Xperia PLAY | Flashtool | JokaWild ROM | DooMKernel | SiyahKernel for GSII | CheckROM for GSII