XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

navigation and gps solutions.

Tip us?

Lock-N-Load
Old
Thanks Meter 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
My solution so far. I'm still figuring out what map software I will ultimately use but the Pharos BT receiver and BT GPS app work great.
Curious, were you able to use this with the good old stock Google Maps and have Maps function as expected? I could be interested in this device, but have wondered if once connected to the GPS receiver, does Maps work? I am not interested in a bunch of other apps or Map replacements, I would just like this BT GPS receiver and Maps.
/** SGS3 (rooted & stock ROM) **/
/** OG Droid (rooted & OC'd & all hacked up) **/
/** Want TF201 Ad Hoc WiFi under ICS?? I SOLVED IT! - Asus fixed it **/

SoTacMatt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load View Post
Curious, were you able to use this with the good old stock Google Maps and have Maps function as expected? I could be interested in this device, but have wondered if once connected to the GPS receiver, does Maps work? I am not interested in a bunch of other apps or Map replacements, I would just like this BT GPS receiver and Maps.
I used mine with Google Maps. It worked perfectly! Even as I drove around, heading was correct and everything.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Current Device: Nexus 5 Stock & Rooted
Current Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime TF300-CROMBi-kk
Former Devices:
T-Mobile HTC One S
T-Mobile G2
T-Mobile G1
Android - Live Long and Prosper

SoTacMatt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I just got my GPS Extension Kit.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Current Device: Nexus 5 Stock & Rooted
Current Tablet: Asus Transformer Prime TF300-CROMBi-kk
Former Devices:
T-Mobile HTC One S
T-Mobile G2
T-Mobile G1
Android - Live Long and Prosper

TheWerewolf
Old
(Last edited by TheWerewolf; 24th April 2012 at 03:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 144
I use the QStarz BT-1000X. It has a two day battery life. You can just turn it on and leave it on all the time, then hook it up to any USB port to charge it (even the Prime's if you have the dock...)

It's a 66 channel GPS, which means it's VERY good at getting fixes even in poor conditions and holding onto the fix, and it can log your trips while being a GPS for the Prime. It's very compact and light.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...-Q1000XT-F.htm

Another choice would be the QStarz BT-Q1300S which is even smaller and lighter.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...-Q1300ST-F.htm

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load View Post
Short answer: it works fine with Maps and Navigation.

Slightly longer answer: With the various BT GPS apps, they rely on the 'mock location' provider that's built in for developers. The app acts like a driver for the information coming in from the external GPS and feeds it to the system as if it were an internal GPS. Typically, you'll have to turn this feature on yourself when you want to use the external GPS as it disables the internal GPS (which isn't really much of an issue - or you wouldn't be here.. so you'll probably just leave it on all the time )

I don't know how that affects the GPS Dongle - but again, if you have that you don't really need ANOTHER GPS, so you'll leave the setting off.

It works with pretty much everything - but so far, all the ones I've tried do not feed the satellite signal strength and discovery messages through - so if you run Chartcross, for example, you probably won't see the satellite status - it'll just suddenly go bang and there you have a fix.