Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

navigation and gps solutions.

OP shindai.china

25th January 2012, 07:12 PM   |  #21  
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 273

1,216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies

My solution so far. I'm still figuring out what map software I will ultimately use but the Pharos BT receiver and BT GPS app work great.

Curious, were you able to use this with the good old stock Google Maps and have Maps function as expected? I could be interested in this device, but have wondered if once connected to the GPS receiver, does Maps work? I am not interested in a bunch of other apps or Map replacements, I would just like this BT GPS receiver and Maps.
26th January 2012, 08:42 AM   |  #22  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

252 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

Curious, were you able to use this with the good old stock Google Maps and have Maps function as expected? I could be interested in this device, but have wondered if once connected to the GPS receiver, does Maps work? I am not interested in a bunch of other apps or Map replacements, I would just like this BT GPS receiver and Maps.

I used mine with Google Maps. It worked perfectly! Even as I drove around, heading was correct and everything.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
21st April 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #23  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

252 posts
More
I just got my GPS Extension Kit.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
24th April 2012, 04:11 AM   |  #24  
Flag Surrey, BC
Thanks Meter: 149

257 posts
More
I use the QStarz BT-1000X. It has a two day battery life. You can just turn it on and leave it on all the time, then hook it up to any USB port to charge it (even the Prime's if you have the dock...)

It's a 66 channel GPS, which means it's VERY good at getting fixes even in poor conditions and holding onto the fix, and it can log your trips while being a GPS for the Prime. It's very compact and light.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...-Q1000XT-F.htm

Another choice would be the QStarz BT-Q1300S which is even smaller and lighter.

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...-Q1300ST-F.htm

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

Short answer: it works fine with Maps and Navigation.

Slightly longer answer: With the various BT GPS apps, they rely on the 'mock location' provider that's built in for developers. The app acts like a driver for the information coming in from the external GPS and feeds it to the system as if it were an internal GPS. Typically, you'll have to turn this feature on yourself when you want to use the external GPS as it disables the internal GPS (which isn't really much of an issue - or you wouldn't be here.. so you'll probably just leave it on all the time )

I don't know how that affects the GPS Dongle - but again, if you have that you don't really need ANOTHER GPS, so you'll leave the setting off.

It works with pretty much everything - but so far, all the ones I've tried do not feed the satellite signal strength and discovery messages through - so if you run Chartcross, for example, you probably won't see the satellite status - it'll just suddenly go bang and there you have a fix.
Last edited by TheWerewolf; 24th April 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread