Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 49,553 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

News: HTC to retire QWERTY from its future plans

Tip us?

captainreynolds
Old
Thanks Meter 82
WHYYYYYYYYYY

No G3 then for sure. At least not a hw keyboard g3. This also means no mo HTC fo me

masterbox
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This is sad, for sure...
I would like to upgrade, but I can't yet abandonned my DZ and it's great keyboard...

Thijs_W
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I keep asking myself why HTC adapts this business strategy!? I get really frustrated bij touchscreen keyboards not doing what I want, while working with a QWERTY goes supersmooth...

It seems QWERTY is not for the mainstream anymore

blk_jack
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3962
This is sad news indeed. I would love a One Z based on the X or S but with a keyboard.

To be fair to Samsung / Motorola though, we're comparing their current devices to HTC's newest generation. Give it a few months and then we can afford to be worried if Samsung or Motorola have not changed things up in the build department.

That said, If HTC is really bailing from the physical keyboard arena, I would love a g3 to be released by the new Google-owned Motorola. Unlocked, sleeker design and top quality hardware. Google branded too with stock ICS if we want to really dream.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Samsung SGH-I337M - Slim Bean 4.3
HTC Vision - Andromadus Slim Bean 4.2.2

Come join us on IRC:
#slimusers on freenode

miscz
Old
Thanks Meter 37
I'm sure Motorola won't abandon Droid/Milestone brand as they are truly known brand as opposed to HTC offerings. I doubt will see any changes to Motorola policies though as Google doesn't want to interfere and are actually looking into selling it, to Huawei as some rumors say...

andrewilley
Old
Thanks Meter 113
The 'HTC One' that I'd be waiting for would be an HTC One Z.

My main reason for going Android rather than Apple was decent keyboards, like my current Desire-Z.

The other one was replaceable batteries. I always have a spare battery tucked away in my wallet 'just in case'. I've only needed it about half a dozen times, but it sure has been vital on those occasions.

Andre
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 32GB (Stock ROM/kernel; rooted ; Nova Launcher) 64GB SDHC card
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Wi-Fi, 32GB (Infamous AOKP JB 4.2.2 ROM; Nova Launcher)

Previous:
Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB; 32GB SD card
HTC Desire Z 16MB SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario III 8GB Sandisk SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario

sino8r
Old
(Last edited by sino8r; 21st April 2012 at 01:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 539
Sadly this story appears to be legitimate. This article lists sources unlike the OP's one. All this info is from a HTC media event. http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smar...roid+and+Me%29
Also, HTC scraped plans for higher mAh batteries for the One models. Saddens me cause we could add those in ourselves with a T5 screwdriver and 5 minutes worth of work. Plus, their reasoning is just plain stupid. http://androidandme.com/2012/04/news...-battery-life/

I don't know about you guys but since Samsung has promised to move away from cheaper phone housings I may go with them (SGSIII) or even Motorola since they have qwerty models for now lol! I just can't support HTC anymore after this fiasco. We've had a nice almost 7 year period together (so no one can say I'm being silly) but I'm breaking up with this bitch! Ever hear of the 7 year itch? Well I've got it bad! Go f*ck yourself HTC!
evolution
HTC Wizard G3
HTC Excalibur
HTC Dream
HTC Sapphire
HTC Rhodium
HTC Espresso
HTC Glacier
HTC Vision
HTC Doubleshot
Samsung Note 2

My recent works:
2G/3G/4G/H+ icons for CM7.1 and Nightly

How to defeat data throttling

2.1 with JIT enabled on MTS

boot animation (Nexus "X"/HTC "quietly brilliant") for MTS

TenMaKo
Old
(Last edited by TenMaKo; 21st April 2012 at 02:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Because of you HTC this man tried to send a mail with one of those ****ty virtual keyboard !!!!

I couldn't make up my mind whether i should buy a One X or wait for a new HK device. They seem to have decided it for me but i'm really disappointed. I'm really tired that in all domain, money will always have the last word at the expense of users. Would it have been so hard to product a One Z ?!?

gee one
Old
Thanks Meter 561
Wow, you guys really like your keyboards. I keep telling myself that I should try using just the virtual keyboard for a week, but it's just so much faster to flip open the hardware keyboard. I'm not a big fan of the alt-number keystrokes on the vision, but it's certainly workable.

I'm not ready to kick HTC to the curb yet. I'm waiting for a phone that really stands out and has the right combination of features, even if it costs $800.
HTC Dream
HTC Vision
ASUS Transformer

If you found this post helpful, please consider a donation to charity:
World Vision
International Red Cross
Wikipedia
International Justice Mission
or pick your own

GrievousMcG
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Awww, that suxs! I'm hoping to replace my Desire Z within the next 3-4 months with another physical keyboard phone from them. Even if HTC reverse their decision down the track, it will take a good 6-7 months to bring out a good phone from scratch but that time I would have already got a replacement.

Anyhoo in saying that, I reckon that the least HTC can do for us is ask Qualcomm to release the camera source code to our talented developers here so they can develop custom ROMs with a full version of ICS. That should go a little way as a form of compensation for their crap business decision.