Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Backup When Going to New ROM?

OP Medikay

19th April 2012, 10:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

43 posts
More
I'm moving to the R4 release of Eugene's CM7 (From Jugg 5.0), and was wondering what the best way to backup my current data would be. Previously, I was forced to revert to Jugg 5.0 when multiple errors came up after trying to restore from TB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
19th April 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #2  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 2,323

4,359 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikay

I'm moving to the R4 release of Eugene's CM7 (From Jugg 5.0), and was wondering what the best way to backup my current data would be. Previously, I was forced to revert to Jugg 5.0 when multiple errors came up after trying to restore from TB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To backup your emails and contacts the best way is to use your gmail account. when you flash a new ROM it will ask you to sign in with your account and you will get all your emails and contacts back.

To get all your text messages and call logs back I use an app called SMS Backup +. It backs up all your SMS and MMS messages and call logs to your gmail account. After you flash a new ROM just press restore and they will all be back again.

To back up your user apps with data I use Titanium Backup and select the option to backup all user apps. This will back up all the apps you have downloaded with data included. Do not backup system apps with data because this may cause problems when flashing a new ROM. Once new ROM is flashed go back to Titanium backup and restore all apps with data.

You should be good to go.
19th April 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag College Station
Thanks Meter: 170

851 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chochiwpg

To backup your emails and contacts the best way is to use your gmail account. when you flash a new ROM it will ask you to sign in with your account and you will get all your emails and contacts back.

To get all your text messages and call logs back I use an app called SMS Backup +. It backs up all your SMS and MMS messages and call logs to your gmail account. After you flash a new ROM just press restore and they will all be back again.

To back up your user apps with data I use Titanium Backup and select the option to backup all user apps. This will back up all the apps you have downloaded with data included. Do not backup system apps with data because this may cause problems when flashing a new ROM. Once new ROM is flashed go back to Titanium backup and restore all apps with data.

You should be good to go.

Nandroid backups do this entirely however youb might experience issues with importing data such as applications. So of you just wanna keep a backup in case if emergency just do a nandroid, burbif you wanna carry over data from just do what Chochi suggested

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to iLeopard For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2012, 04:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Winnipeg

4,359 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeopard

Nandroid backups do this entirely however youb might experience issues with importing data such as applications. So of you just wanna keep a backup in case if emergency just do a nandroid, burbif you wanna carry over data from just do what Chochi suggested

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

As iLeopard said, always make a nandroid first. It will backup everything from the current ROM you are running. Just in case the new ROM doesn't work out for you or things don't run properly, just restore your nandroid and you are back to where you were before flashing the new ROM.
20th April 2012, 04:54 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

43 posts
More
Quote:

As iLeopard said, always make a nandroid first. It will backup everything from the current ROM you are running. Just in case the new ROM doesn't work out for you or things don't run properly, just restore your nandroid and you are back to where you were before flashing the new ROM.

Doesn't making a full user apps + system data Titanium Backup do the same thing?
20th April 2012, 12:40 PM   |  #6  
Flag Winnipeg

4,359 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medikay

Doesn't making a full user apps + system data Titanium Backup do the same thing?

No, when you backup system data you are backing up everything on your system. All the widgets, wifi settings, gps etc etc. You only want to backup the apps you downloaded. If you backup system data it could conflict with settings in the new ROM when you try and restore.
21st April 2012, 03:03 AM   |  #7  
Flag College Station
Thanks Meter: 170

851 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No, when you backup system data you are backing up everything on your system. All the widgets, wifi settings, gps etc etc. You only want to backup the apps you downloaded. If you backup system data it could conflict with settings in the new ROM when you try and restore.

Indeed. Personally I don't even recommend restoring applications. To ensure that you don't get any erros I suggest you download apps fresh from the play store

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread