No registration required

[KERNEL] Siyah - JELLYBEAN - ICS [v4.3.3] "One kernel to rule them all!"

OP ktoonsez

20th April 2012, 11:21 PM   |  #961  
Thanks Meter: 10

76 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoonsez

Ok, I figured that wouldnt work but was worth a try. Link removed.

5 dolla please.
20th April 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #962  
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Tempe
Thanks Meter: 39,506

14,584 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmckenn2

Man you're on top of it. I don't but I'll take a look at home. What's your build time like. What rig you using?

Takes 68 seconds now with the SSD drive added to my 3960x proc and ASUS P9X79 mobo, 16gb of RAM. I think I will have to move my Ubuntu to a HDD though, dont want to kill the SSD.
20th April 2012, 11:25 PM   |  #963  
Flag Tempe

14,584 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz_91

5 dolla please.

Lol
20th April 2012, 11:45 PM   |  #964  
Thanks Meter: 876

1,285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpazevedo

Maybe it did't work and it bricked their phone so they can't post?

Exactly. :/
20th April 2012, 11:53 PM   |  #965  
Thanks Meter: 20

115 posts
Just out of curiosity, this is version still doesnt have the primary & secondary rom swap does it?
21st April 2012, 12:04 AM   |  #966  
Flag West Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 63

727 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindestdude

Just out of curiosity, this is version still doesnt have the primary & secondary rom swap does it?

you can swap in RC5
The Following User Says Thank You to Koizuma For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 12:07 AM   |  #967  
Flag XDA
Thanks Meter: 1,281

2,381 posts
More
Ktoon what happened to removing the...

no
no
no
no
no

21st April 2012, 12:09 AM   |  #968  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,233

3,787 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koizuma

you can swap in RC5

I'm an extreme noob when it comes to kernels, but is possible to just have the swap method change what mount points it uses for the primary and secondary ROM instead of the Backup, Clone, then Restore it does?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II w/ DUAL BOOT: CM9 / MIUI
21st April 2012, 12:47 AM   |  #969  
Thanks Meter: 75

345 posts
as to the mount point swap for multiple roms.... yes there are a few methods that allow this but are all on a lower level aka bootloader. and the only person who really touches that is adam i think. he made a post about the hardware dump a month ago but i dont know if he is actively working on it.

as our current method... its a little more complicated than that. let me give you some background bear with me:

the boot loader is calling the same kernel for both roms and the kernel loads the initramfs. that stands for init RAM FS (or file system) then finally it loads init. that is the thing that loads mount points, modules, does some other crazy stuff. easiest way is to get a linux box and turn off the spash screen on start up and read the kernel output. it does some crazy stuff. so in essence it does change the mount points that it loads for the rom os. its like CHROOT if you know what that is. a watered down explanation is there is a folder with a bash in it and all the operators called root. chroot or "change root" tells the processor to start taking job requests and executing from the other folder. now the kernel option that we use does this before the other os loads so it isnt exactly chroot...

the problem i assume you are talking about is in the recovery... and how to flash .zips. that is a whole different beast. in the change log he released for rc4 i think he mentions adding support for flashing to second rom. this is a lot easier prospect than loading a second rom as all you need to do is point the script to the new file system. for instance if you go to the recovery and go into mounts. you can see the things recovery mounts. that is the rom file system. the recovery can mount the second rom and have the script do its magic thinking it is running on a normal rom. which btw all a .zip does is usually clear a few things extract a kernel image to a temp dir. and then finally move it to the final dir. and then copy over /system and the like... most of it is pure copy type commands...

ktoon... that is a very snappy processor. you could say that im jelly
21st April 2012, 03:04 AM   |  #970  
Flag Tempe

14,584 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice write-up there

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
i tagged dis bitch, siyah i777, siyah kernel, so smooth i almost came, stable