[DISCONTINUED] CM9/ICS Nightly Builds

21st April 2012, 02:04 AM   |  #1551  
Flag Seattle area
Thanks Meter: 34

272 posts
I must have missed something. How do you tell if it a phone or tablet UI?
21st April 2012, 02:26 AM   |  #1552  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,631

8,309 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob23

I must have missed something. How do you tell if it a phone or tablet UI?

Phone GUIs are generally just single panes that get larger as the screen gets larger. Usually the tablet gui's have multiple panes. Like a window on the left and a scrollable pane on the right. They take advantage of the capabilities of ics that gingerbread does not have.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
21st April 2012, 04:47 PM   |  #1553  
Recognized Contributor

8,309 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomn

Yes, there is certainly that too. If a developer doesn't think their "tablet" layout will display well enough on a 7" screen they can choose to stick to their "phone" layout.

Also, when the first real Android tablets came out with Honeycomb they were all 10" devices so many apps are probably still coded to only think of that size as qualifying as a tablet

I don't think it has to be between just two choices either. My Nook with these latest CM9 builds displays IMDB, for example, in a tablet layout of some form but it doesn't appear to be the same layout I've seen on larger 10" tablets. I need to double-check that at some point though

I did some experimenting with imdb. My Galaxy Tab 7", which is running gingerbread at 240 dpi, shows imdb in tablet gui. It has multiple panes in landscape. One pane is stationary and the other is scrollable.

However, my Nook Color, running either CM7 or CM9, displays imdb in phone gui. It has single panes. It has a scrolling section at the top, but when you scroll the whole window, that scrolling section moves up off the screen. And it makes no difference what dpi I set in CM9, it still is in phone gui. (Edit: I ordinarily run CM7 at 240dpi, so I temporarily changed it to 160 and imdb displayed in tablet gui.)

And both devices are running the same version (2.6). So that tells me the software itself decides how to display based on what it thinks the device will support.

As an aside to this, I could not get imdb to show up in market in CM9 (running non-openGL 4/21 eyeballer), but it showed up in CM7. I downloaded with CM7, then used the apk to install on CM9.

Last edited by leapinlar; 21st April 2012 at 05:22 PM.
21st April 2012, 05:24 PM   |  #1554  
Thanks Meter: 83

272 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

I did some experimenting with imdb. My Galaxy Tab 7", which is running gingerbread at 240 dpi, shows imdb in tablet gui. It has multiple panes in landscape. One pane is stationary and the other is scrollable.

However, my Nook Color, running either CM7 or CM9, displays imdb in phone gui. It has single panes. But it has a scrolling section at the top, but when you scroll the whole window, that scrolling section moves up off the screen. And it makes no difference what dpi I set in CM9, it still is in phone gui. (Edit: I ordinarily run CM7 at 240dpi, so I temporarily changed it to 160 and imdb displayed in tablet gui.)

And both devices are running the same version (2.6). So that tells me the software itself decides how to display based on what it thinks the device will support.

As an aside to this, I could not get imdb to show up in market in CM9 (running non-openGL 4/21 eyeballer), but it showed up in CM7. I downloaded with CM7, then used the apk to install on CM9.

I was just starting to type when I saw your edit. I had double-checked my Nook because you made me doubt my memory for a second! With standard 160dpi mine shows a tablet layout like you said and it appears in the market too. Screenshot in case anyone's curious
21st April 2012, 05:36 PM   |  #1555  
Recognized Contributor

8,309 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I was just starting to type when I saw your edit. I had double-checked my Nook because you made me doubt my memory for a second! With standard 160dpi mine shows a tablet layout like you said and it appears in the market too. Screenshot in case anyone's curious

That screenshot is of CM9, and imdb is showing in tablet gui. Mine still shows phone gui at 160. Are you running opengl? Mine is non. And at 160 still no market.

21st April 2012, 05:45 PM   |  #1556  
Thanks Meter: 83

272 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

That screenshot is of CM9, and imdb is showing in tablet gui. Mine still shows phone gui at 160. Are you running opengl? Mine is non. And at 160 still no market.

Sorry, I should have clarified further: it's a recent non-opengl build from eyeballer (4/17 think) with no changes or mods. I'm really just assuming the dpi is 160 because I haven't changed anything over stock
21st April 2012, 07:06 PM   |  #1557  
Recognized Contributor

8,309 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sorry, I should have clarified further: it's a recent non-opengl build from eyeballer (4/17 think) with no changes or mods. I'm really just assuming the dpi is 160 because I haven't changed anything over stock

Ok, I found out why my system is not showing IMDb in tablet GUI in CM9. I am using my patched framework-res.apk which sets the 'showNavigationBar' value to true. And even though I can set the dpi to 160 and CM9 displays in tablet GUI, IMDb sees the framework-res setting and displays in phone GUI at all dpi settings.

But it still does not show in Market. Of course I have frozen my system to always run an old version of Market, so that might be making a difference too.

21st April 2012, 07:21 PM   |  #1558  
Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,511

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
In the recent versions of the Play Store you can set it to no filters in the settings. I am pretty sure that all the apps show up: IMDB, call blockers, camera effects and stuff like that are there for me..
If that even helps.
21st April 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #1559  
Thanks Meter: 57

259 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateorod

In the recent versions of the Play Store you can set it to no filters in the settings. I am pretty sure that all the apps show up: IMDB, call blockers, camera effects and stuff like that are there for me..
If that even helps.

I'd been meaning to reply to your assertion here: its wrong. The filters setting has to do with maturity content only. It won't do a thing for any other kind of filter in place, device-specific or otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to skwalas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 12:54 AM   |  #1560  
Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,511

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwalas

I'd been meaning to reply to your assertion here: its wrong. The filters setting has to do with maturity content only. It won't do a thing for any other kind of filter in place, device-specific or otherwise.

My mistake. Since I don't flash the telephony fix, yet still have phone apps in market, I thought that was it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm9, ics, nookcolor
Previous Thread Next Thread