Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,679 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Tip us?

pspunderground
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1031

DONATE TO ME
Default Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Has anyone bought the "updated" smart watch? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I might buy one from Expansys USA.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

katmandu421
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Early reviews online and on amazon are pretty positive. I purchased and returned the liveview due to connection issues. These seem to be a non-issue on the updated smartwatch. I ordered through expansys and will hopefully be receiving the unit this week. I can reply with my personal opinions.

I hope the xda devs pick this device up and come up with some great apps. One obvious one would be a timer/stopwatch app.

Outcome
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I just got it today, so my impressions are sort of limited to my limited use of it today...

I'd say overall impressions are "So far so good". Definitely feel this is a worthwhile device that will only improve with time.

Pros:
1. Much smaller than the MotoACTV and actually feels/looks like a normal wrist watch on your hand.

2. A much needed accelerometer screen activation was added I believe in the latest update (it doesn't mention this feature in the manual nor in any review I have seen). Basically all you do when the screen is off is tap the device anywhere twice really quick. I've noticed sometimes if you tap it too slow or not hard enough and then do it the right way immediately afterwards, that it won't register the correct way and you have to wait like 5 seconds to try again. Not that big of a deal.

3. Screen looks pretty good. A little pixelated due to the low resolution but text is still readable.

4. So far no problems losing sync with the phone.

Cons:

1. Smartwatch app notification icon ALWAYS stays on in the notification bar of your phone when the watch is connected. Needs to be an option to disable this.

2. The touch screen malfunctions with at least one default Sony app that I've seen so far: the Phonebook (Contacts) app. I think this must be something with how Sony designed the app, as other apps I've downloaded function perfectly normal with all the gestures (multitouch, swiping, taps). IT'S HORRIBLE. Can't swipe between screens at all with this. Actually accidentally texted someone on the first screen of contacts the default "Call me" message as I was swiping to the second screen of contacts. The text went through though, so I guess that's a plus because the person called me immediately lol.

3. The charging cable and the way it just fits in the clip to stay connected is probably the worst charging design I have ever seen... should have just used micro-usb... If you aren't careful when setting the watch down while it's plugged in, you could accidentally put an angle on the cable which will ensure that it doesn't make contact with the charging leads.

4. No default email app yet. Only one that exists is for Sony phones

5. Music player could be improved a bit. No control over albums/folders (at least with the Google Play Music app). Very generic play/pause, volume, and next/previous track options. Doesn't show album art with Play Music on ICS (really? This is the default app that probably the majority of Android users use!!).

6. Sometimes if the phone is busy doing other things, you will notice on the watch that the icons take a while to show up (generic icons are shown instead of the specific application ones), which basically is exposing the fact that the apps aren't stored on the Smartwatch itself... which means that if your phones processor is bogged down, so will app responsiveness on the watch itself.

7. No voice search app or widget! Whether we have the phone sitting in our car in speaker phone mode, or have a blue tooth headset on, we need a dedicated voice search activation button widget! I am planning on sitting down one day to make one. This will be especially handy once we have the Google Assistant app (Siri competitor), not to mention how useful this would be to initiate calls to people while driving instead of using the HORRIBLE touch screen contacts app.

8. No microphone in the hardware! This sort of goes with #7 above.

shaunm82
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Just got this thing in the mail here at work, well FedEx. Haven't really messed around with it yet. Loaded a few apps, so far so good! Will report back later on anything else I find.

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198
yeh i just got mine today
still fiddling around with it
i look forward to updates

i also noticed the messaging app doesnt sync up constantly
like in the events app,i can get a new message notice and read it,but go back to the messaging app,and it shows older texts....

and theres some other minor quirks,like when the phone rings you can mute it, hang up, but not answer it

would be cool if there was a microphone and i could carry on conversations like im james bond

guih
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Dude wait for the pebble: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ne-and-android
Current Devices:
Rooted Sprint HTC ONE!
  • ROM: OMJ
  • Kernel: Stock

Rooted Asus Nexus 7
  • ROM: Paranoid ROM
  • Kernel: Stock

RIP HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Evo 4G, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to guih For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ffarber
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I just hooked mine up today and had all kinds of problems keeping it connected. I am running a Galaxy Tab with the newly released CM-9 nightly. The apps I have tried work: in call control, missed call, audio control, message, and weather. The problem I have with the set up is that it keeps disconnecting as soon as you try and do anything. Originally it wouldn't re-connect reliably, I then found the Liveviewcharm application which allows it to reconnect all the time. So far, I would give it a C+ in my particular configuration but I am hoping.

YMMV, it seems people with other configurations are having less problems. It would be a good idea if people siad what kind of phone and what software they were running.

By the way, the reason the software leaves an icon in the status bar is so that the background app won't get shut down by the OS when it needs memory.

Fred

SayWhat10
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by guih View Post

ive seen the pebbles,plus if you donate u can get one now right?
but what makes it so better than the Sony?
like the pebbles watch is only black/white or monochrome?

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
I just hooked mine up today and had all kinds of problems keeping it connected. I am running a Galaxy Tab with the newly released CM-9 nightly. The apps I have tried work: in call control, missed call, audio control, message, and weather. The problem I have with the set up is that it keeps disconnecting as soon as you try and do anything. Originally it wouldn't re-connect reliably, I then found the Liveviewcharm application which allows it to reconnect all the time. So far, I would give it a C+ in my particular configuration but I am hoping.

YMMV, it seems people with other configurations are having less problems. It would be a good idea if people siad what kind of phone and what software they were running.

By the way, the reason the software leaves an icon in the status bar is so that the background app won't get shut down by the OS when it needs memory.

Fred
what exactly is liveviewcharm? i find it on the net to download,but absolutely no description of what it is or what it does

Im using Samsung galaxy note with the watch. Stays connected fine unless im a ways away from the phone of course

FC1032
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Been very eager to get the original liveview, but heard about the various connection problems. Now this one seems to have that fixed Normally, I would have got this right away, but the pebble is quite interesting too. So since some of you have the smartwatch could you answer some of my questions please?

* Most importantly, how does this affect battery life? I pretty much destroy my battery in a matter of hours, I don't want this to turn my phone into a laptop where I'd need to charge it every 2-3 hours
* When the bluetooth connection drops, what happens? I know the smartwatch doesn't need the phone for clock functionality (unlike the liveview). So does it just show the time?
* I'm not good with coding and stuff, the smartwatch would be the better option for support right?

Thanks

ffarber
Old
(Last edited by ffarber; 21st April 2012 at 02:34 PM.) Reason: Added the comment about sunlight.
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
Been very eager to get the original liveview, but heard about the various connection problems. Now this one seems to have that fixed Normally, I would have got this right away, but the pebble is quite interesting too. So since some of you have the smartwatch could you answer some of my questions please?

* Most importantly, how does this affect battery life? I pretty much destroy my battery in a matter of hours, I don't want this to turn my phone into a laptop where I'd need to charge it every 2-3 hours
* When the bluetooth connection drops, what happens? I know the smartwatch doesn't need the phone for clock functionality (unlike the liveview). So does it just show the time?
* I'm not good with coding and stuff, the smartwatch would be the better option for support right?

Thanks
I can't really comment on battery life as I am using a tab which has a battery that lasts 24 hours no matter how I use it. Having said that as I far as I can tell there is no difference. I suspect on a phone with a smaller battery your results won't be as good.

The watch tries to reconnect automatically when the connection drops. The Liveviewcharm (clicky) app makes the reconnections much more reliable. The description is in Japanese, you will have to cut and paste the text into Google translate if you can't read it (I couldn't). Basically it is an app that stays running and monitors Liveview connections (which the SmartWatch uses). I can't be any more detailed than that.

I doubt that Sony support will be terrific but there is nothing to code. It mostly just works the way the instructions say. You do have to download each app you want to run on the watch but that is straightforward.

Fred

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhat10 View Post
ive seen the pebbles,plus if you donate u can get one now right?
but what makes it so better than the Sony?
like the pebbles watch is only black/white or monochrome?

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

what exactly is liveviewcharm? i find it on the net to download,but absolutely no description of what it is or what it does

Im using Samsung galaxy note with the watch. Stays connected fine unless im a ways away from the phone of course
See my post above for a brief description of liveviewcharm, it does help. Good to hear the watch works well with a Note. Maybe subsequent releases of the CM-9 ROM will clean up whatever is wrong with the communications with watch.

One other thing, it is very hard to read in sunlight, one reason the Pebble could be better (when and if it is released).

In any event, I like the idea so much I signed up for a Pebble and may even buy a WIMM to give that a try. The problem for me is that I use the Tab as my only device and sometimes it is very cumbersome just to get out and see who is calling, etc.

Fred

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]