Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,128 Members 40,391 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012)

Tip us?

seulment
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default My TF101

It seems that every day when I get to work and pull the device out of by backpack, It is stuck on the Asus logo... Fine, hold power button for 10 seconds, reboot, no more problems the rest of the day.

Screen tears, happens quite a bit when I have used many apps in a short period of time, as long as I am able to switch between apps, not really a big concern for me.

I used to be one who would try all the little tips and tricks, found out over time, it just messed my device up more than it helped it... Waiting on Asus to send a fix. That is if this model is still in their sights... they may be pulling a Samsung and are now focusing on the Prime, 300 and newer devices...

Love ICS on it. Found that the support is a lot more responsive on google + and Facebook... they actually respond to some of my questions and comments. Appreciate this thread as I watch it to see what is going on. Thanks guys/gals.

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection* View Post
Just shows ASUS still have no clue, this entire thread proves wiping does not cure things, only slows them down
No, it shows front line tech support don't have a clue. Big difference; having worked tech support myself a decade ago, I know very well that tech support will not be getting full info on a problem that the development team has barely come to grips with yet, and any info they do get will be mixed in with a million other advisories on all the other products they're expected to support.
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

CalvinH
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post
No, it shows front line tech support don't have a clue. Big difference; having worked tech support myself a decade ago, I know very well that tech support will not be getting full info on a problem that the development team has barely come to grips with yet, and any info they do get will be mixed in with a million other advisories on all the other products they're expected to support.
+1 Just because Asus support by email - phone doesn't have an answer doesn't means Asus doesn't know what to do about it... These are the same people that, after the first problems on HC on the first units, advised about to start Windows in Safe mode and things like that...

Let's hope they get the fix soon as Gary says in first post
Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer.

gadzooks64
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Gary sent me the update to try out.

I've only had it running for a few hours but so far so good. If this holds up I suspect it will be released to the masses.

Keep your fingers crossed!

I have family and friends with TF101s that also have these problems. I hope for all our sakes ASUS gets this figured out soon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

sbiriguda
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks64 View Post
Gary sent me the update to try out.
If you aren't under NDA, could you tell us if you got a userdebug build or a fully-fledged release build (IOW ro.build.type and ro.build.tags)?

Also, could you try to check if the front camera sensor goes insane if you switch it on and off repeatedly in low-light conditions?

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 530
Why do people think updates would be under some NDA ?

Its an update not a secret unreleased piece of software that when finalized will have a price-tag

The only difference between it and what we have is a few alterations in the code to fix bugs

Take off your tin-foil hats

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 963
Actually, I am one of the testers and we ARE under an NDA....

The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbiriguda
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Detection* View Post
Why do people think updates would be under some NDA ?
Corporate policy.
Big corps (OEMs, ISVs) tend to require an NDA for all unreleased software - and sometimes the definition of "unreleased" is so broad that it covers even interim builds of updates for released software.

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiriguda View Post
Corporate policy.
Big corps (OEMs, ISVs) tend to require an NDA for all unreleased software - and sometimes the definition of "unreleased" is so broad that it covers even interim builds of updates for released software.
Exactly. It's very likely that legal requires dev to NDA anybody receiving the software, just so that if it gets out in public and somehow damages somebody's hardware their asses are appropriately covered.
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

gadzooks64
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I don't know of any official NDA but I was asked not to share the update with anyone.

I'm not rooted so I don't think I can tell you if this is an official release or not but I'm inclined to believe it is equivalent to an official release.

I do still have the logcat app installed and will you it if necessary.

So far I have not had any freezing or rebooting but I have seen a couple of screen tears. I have been using it pretty much nonstop since I installed the update about 7 hours ago.

Tags
tf101, transformer