So here's a simple, clear, no-magic, guide on:
- how to get permanent root (permroot) on the HTC Raider/Vivid
- instal a recovery image that will later let you backup and install ROM images
- remove Carrier IQ, a piece of software that snoops on all your actions and can report them to your carrier
- Install the HTC Vivid drivers for Windows
- Follow the steps at http://htcdev.com/bootloader to unlock your phone. Note that HTC will have you signup, and your email address will be uniquely associated with your phone. If you care about privacy, you may want to use a different email address that accepts attachments.
- Have adb and fastboot working on your computer, preferably in your PATH. You only need the three files from the attached adb_and_fastboot_r16.zip (these are from the Android SDK r16).
- Extract recovery.img from PH39IMG.zip - this is the ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery image.
- Download VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip - this will get you root. It has busybox, su, and the Superuser APK.
- On the phone, enable USB debugging in Settings -> Applications -> Development.
- Connect phone to PC via USB cable. Verify that adb sees the phone by running Code:
- Boot phone into "HBOOT" mode (remove and reinsert battery, then hold Volume Down and Power)
- Once booted, press Power to select FASTBOOT mode
- Flash the recovery image: Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- From the phone menu, select RECOVERY. Use the Volume Up/Down and Power keys to navigate.
- Copy the rooting ZIP to the phone's internal storage: Code:
adb push VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip /emmc/
- On the phone, choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from internal sdcard". Select the VIVID_CWM_ROOT_VER2.zip and confirm.
- Choose "reboot system now".
That's it, you've unlocked your Vivid, have a recovery image and root. Test that by installing the Titanium Backup APK:
adb install TitaniumBackup_latest.apk
- Run Titanium Backup and remove the following 2 apps: HtcIQAgent, IQRD
- On your terminal/command prompt, run:Code:
adb shell su mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system cd /system/bin rm iqd iqfd cd /system/lib rm libhtciqagent.so libciq_client.so libciq_htc.so rm /system/etc/iqprofile.pro