Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,370 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

kexec bootloader bypass coming in a few days

Tip us?

Willis111
Old
(Last edited by Willis111; 20th April 2012 at 10:44 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri94 View Post
Willis that is awesome. Update what happens as you further play around when you get a chance

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
Of course, I just haven't had much of a chance to sit at a computer yet and put mine in storage last week until the beginning of may. Hopefully over the next few days we can figure something out to at least get kexec to start loading(even if it fails, it will be progress).

I've run into something odd. Regardless of permissions/file placement etc it seems that I just get file not found (fnf) when running physicalmem/kexec etc. I've tried setting the folder in my patch, dumping the files in /system/bin, linking to xbin, even calling them by name with or without the full path yields these results. I've seen a few posts on the razr forums of users experiencing the same issue on an actual razr but not much in the way of a solution. The files aren't affected by different mount points, that was the first issue I tackled and the eason for the modded zip. Gonna keep poking around (should mention I've tried w/no custom bootstrap, cwm and safestrap but on the original system, installing the .zip manually and setting permissions and installing my modified zip with cwm/safestrap but same results). It could(probably is) that subtle differences between the d3 and razr bootloader code will require bigger tweaks to get this up on our devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I work for AMD, and that's exactly how it's done... You manufacture a large batch of silicon, and based on testing, you separate the chips based on highest stable speed. We simply clock them lower and label them with another model number. This has been done since the beginning...

MyNarwhalBacon
Old
Thanks Meter 206

DONATE TO ME
If you can get this working I would recommend you get a donation account open. There will be many grateful people on here.
My Sound Pack or UI for Any Touchwiz Rom: Here

slvrarrow
Old
Thanks Meter 44
ill second that. Is there any chance trying to port the original gsm hack rather than the cdma port may be easier?

Willis111
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusishere View Post
If you can get this working I would recommend you get a donation account open. There will be many grateful people on here.
Sounds like a bounty which is probably not really a bad idea. I wad thinking that about the gsm hack but just because I'm holding an xt860, I think that working with the cdma hack will be crucial for verizon users, just have to get my computer out of storage, in the middle of moving but should be setup by ~ tues/wed. Hopefully Rick#2 or someone will be poking around with this a little more as well as time allows and we'll at least see some small steps somewhere. I think an issue I'm running into is not being on stock which seems to have a decent impact judging by the razr thread, it might be easier for a stock xt862 user(vs my 860) to try the edited zip since this would be closer to what's confirmed working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
I work for AMD, and that's exactly how it's done... You manufacture a large batch of silicon, and based on testing, you separate the chips based on highest stable speed. We simply clock them lower and label them with another model number. This has been done since the beginning...

redsox985
Old
Thanks Meter 86
I do remember reading in the RAZR threads that it should be done/works best over a stock system.

Dri94
Old
Thanks Meter 564

DONATE TO ME
What are you using to detect the ugs? And im sure someone here, including me, wouldnt mind testing it for ya lol

oostah
Old
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dri94 View Post
What are you using to detect the ugs? And im sure someone here, including me, wouldnt mind testing it for ya lol

i have 862 would test.
2Samsung Stratosphere II
2 DROID 3 globule's retired
2 droid 2 globule's
htc hero retired

twitter @ooostah

Pokelover980
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox985 View Post
I do remember reading in the RAZR threads that it should be done/works best over a stock system.
Indeed, they say it fails when not used over a stock system, and anything that interrupts the normal boot process, like, say, how safestrap hijacks the boot, will also cause it to fail. I was also reading some of the newer posts on one of the threads, and a possibility of it not working on CDMA is not just because it's CDMA, it's because there's so much crapware on the phone that there's a possibility that some of that could be affecting it (as apps like System Tuner can apparently muck up the process and cause it to fail, it's possible that bloatware can too).
From the Eris to the Droid 3, and now on the Droid Razr with CM10.

jonpry
Old
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
I see this thread has been dead for awhile. But I am picking up the torch on this project. It's been an uphill battle but I've made significant progress. Here is my latest boot log. http://pastebin.com/p3LB8MAN

Beyond that it can't calibrate the delay loop yet. Either because the timer is stalled or interrupts in general aren't working.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonpry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thingonaspring
Old
Thanks Meter 220
@jonpry
Great to hear you're trying to port this to D3.

Have you tried contacting embeem/kholk for advice on the delay calibration issue?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1599648
Motorola Droid 3 XT862 .906 - Rooted, Safestrap recovery3, MiniMoto Rom
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1978304