Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Differences between Synergy and Darkside X kernels

Tip us?

h1a8
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Differences between Synergy and Darkside X kernels

I see that some rom developers are currently changing from the darkside kernel to the synergy kernel. I know that synergy has better battery life than Darkside X kernel (or that it should) since Darkside X is much faster and smoother.

1. But is the battery life of Darkside X kernel significantly lower or just a little lower than the synergy kernel?

2. Also, what are some features that the synergy kernel offers that the Darkside X kernel doesn't, and vice versa?

Thanks!

bikrame
Old
Thanks Meter 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
I see that some rom developers are currently changing from the darkside kernel to the synergy kernel. I know that synergy has better battery life than Darkside X kernel (or that it should) since Darkside X is much faster and smoother.

1. But is the battery life of Darkside X kernel significantly lower or just a little lower than the synergy kernel?

2. Also, what are some features that the synergy kernel offers that the Darkside X kernel doesn't, and vice versa?

Thanks!
Bro i read somewhere before NEVER COMPARE TWO ROMS OR KARNELS OF TWO DIFFERENT DEVS . ITS JUST AN INSULT OF THEM.THEY ARE GOOD ON THEIR OWN WAY .
Not being mean rude but telling you truth i have learn.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

h1a8
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
neither is better than the other. One gives you better battery life while the other gives you better performance. Its a trade off. both are good in there own way. I just want to know if there are features one has that the other doesn't. And does synergy beat darkside in battery life by a lot or a little.

h1a8
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Bump

yoft1
Old
Thanks Meter 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
neither is better than the other. One gives you better battery life while the other gives you better performance. Its a trade off. both are good in there own way. I just want to know if there are features one has that the other doesn't. And does synergy beat darkside in battery life by a lot or a little.
Generally speaking your mileage will vary with everything. ROMs, kernels, whatever. I personally get better battery life with darksidex and smoother performance with synergy. Most of it is probably placebo either way.

CBlakey292
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Flash and find out every phone is different.
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII
[SGH-T989]

ROM: Jedi Jelly II
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: TWRP 2.3.1.1
Modem: UvlI1

jordanishere
Old
Thanks Meter 280
synergy supports almost every governor. this only will matter to you if you know what a governor is...

darkside is more noob friendly. also, if u are running a darkside rom, do not use a diff kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

icenight89
Old
Thanks Meter 717

DONATE TO ME
u can use any kernel on any rom, (CM7 excluded). As others have said different kernels support different things, and may or may not be better for u given your needs. If u stress battery life, governor options in synergy will help u with that, finding the best balance between scaling and performance. Dark side may be better for gaming. All comes down to user preference

iwasblown
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Synergy doesn't have all the sophisticated bells and whistles like swapping cache and page serving stow away performance like DS or any kernel with ram appreciating software. So to speak it's software for better page cruising experience.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium