Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[ROM] Native Ubuntu on the Epic!

OP gTan64

15th April 2012, 11:51 AM   |  #51  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31
 
301 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
i know we aren't supposed to ask these questions, but how is it looking for modem drivers? It would be kinda fun to use something like this as a daily. We could have unlimited UI possibilities.
21st April 2012, 03:26 AM   |  #52  
Senior Member
O 'Fallon, MO
Thanks Meter: 406
 
1,485 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
Where'd all the links go??
23rd April 2012, 05:52 AM   |  #53  
Senior Member
Flag /home/kp
Thanks Meter: 66
 
274 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
More
Good question.
24th April 2012, 02:00 AM   |  #54  
darklichny's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 1,561
 
1,313 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
you might also want to change the OP to reflect that the git hub command should read:

git clone git://github.com/aloznat/samsung-kernel-victory.git

not

git clone git://github.com/aloznat/samsung_kernel_victory.git
(note the dashes NOT underlines...)
28th April 2012, 05:56 AM   |  #55  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Has anyone done this on a centos box

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
13th May 2012, 05:19 PM   |  #56  
Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Is there a precompiled kernel available?

EDIT: Nevermind for some victory_defconfig was missing. I compiled it and here's a link:

http://www.2shared.com/file/PivhoUuJ...ictorytar.html
Last edited by scottgl9; 14th May 2012 at 01:42 AM.
14th May 2012, 03:34 AM   |  #57  
Senior Member
Flag /home/kp
Thanks Meter: 66
 
274 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgl9

Is there a precompiled kernel available?

EDIT: Nevermind for some victory_defconfig was missing. I compiled it and here's a link:

http://www.2shared.com/file/PivhoUuJ...ictorytar.html

Thanks
14th May 2012, 10:34 AM   |  #58  
Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
kernel.zip for kexec boot
I had to pull info from multiple sources as information on this project is scarce, but I put together a kernel to boot ubuntu from CWM. So here you go the file is epic4g-kexec-ubuntu-kernel.zip, and to boot from CWM5 you just do an update, and select this zip file.

http://www.2shared.com/file/vsGHqp7Z...tu-kernel.html

I think this project (more of a vague tutorial) has alot of potential, most things work pretty well it just took alot of time to get configuration and packages correct. I'll probably put out my ubuntu build for the epic 4g if anyone is interested. I'm currently playing around with video acceleration for the PowerVR SGX 540 working with xorg, and also trying to get wimax.
Last edited by scottgl9; 14th May 2012 at 10:39 AM.
14th May 2012, 11:42 AM   |  #59  
thomasskull666's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 415
 
1,552 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgl9

I had to pull info from multiple sources as information on this project is scarce, but I put together a kernel to boot ubuntu from CWM. So here you go the file is epic4g-kexec-ubuntu-kernel.zip, and to boot from CWM5 you just do an update, and select this zip file.

http://www.2shared.com/file/vsGHqp7Z...tu-kernel.html

I think this project (more of a vague tutorial) has alot of potential, most things work pretty well it just took alot of time to get configuration and packages correct. I'll probably put out my ubuntu build for the epic 4g if anyone is interested. I'm currently playing around with video acceleration for the PowerVR SGX 540 working with xorg, and also trying to get wimax.

I for one would love to see what you've come up with!

Let me know if you need a place to host files :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
14th May 2012, 12:24 PM   |  #60  
Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
36 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasskull666

I for one would love to see what you've come up with!

Let me know if you need a place to host files :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

That would be great actually, I need a place to host. By the way I found a huge oversight in the kernel which most definitely prevents wifi from working. Fixing that now.

Things I've found wrong:
- wifi is being compiled as a module, so I changed to built-in at least for now
- wifi firmware path expect /system root, which it shouldn't
- a bunch of missing drivers for the epic 4g which could fix things which currently do not work such as audio and hardware acceleration
- orientation of X is portrait when it should be landscape
- quite a few audio drivers are being compiled in which I'm sure is messing up the audio support
- keyboard function keys aren't working, but I think theres a fix for this (custom keymap needed)
- usb networking support wasn't built in which is useful when wifi isn't working
Last edited by scottgl9; 14th May 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot, kernel, linux, rom, ubuntu
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes