Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 38,070 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bionic on tmobile

Tip us?

jr8801
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Bionic on tmobile

I was wondering if it is possible to unlock the bionic to work on tmobile network. My girlfriend got this phone but already has an iphone and said i could use it. For my galaxy its simple to allow other sim cards but i cannot seem to find anything that would allow the bionic to accept my tmobile card.

Thanks in advanced

lrs421
Old
Thanks Meter 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8801 View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to unlock the bionic to work on tmobile network. My girlfriend got this phone but already has an iphone and said i could use it. For my galaxy its simple to allow other sim cards but i cannot seem to find anything that would allow the bionic to accept my tmobile card.

Thanks in advanced
Nope. GSM vs CDMA.

dacre
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Definitely not. The SIM card on the Bionic is only for the 4G. It's still a CDMA phone. T-Mobile is a GSM network.

wiltgen
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Default I got it partially working on GSM network...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacre View Post
Definitely not. The SIM card on the Bionic is only for the 4G. It's still a CDMA phone. T-Mobile is a GSM network.
I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm trying this phone right now in Brazil (TIM) GSM/UMTS network.

So far I was able to: install both Gingerbread and ICS stock ROMs as well as Gummy but working real deep into the configs I found that on GB Stock I could enable GSM radio and worked perfectly voice and data (2&3G) however when I switched to ICS (Gummy or Stock) when I follow the same steps to enable GSM radio when the phone actually locks signal in the com.android.telephony (or something like that) force closes and the only way to unloop is wiping data and all.

Does anyone have further information about this?

Thanks in advance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wiltgen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kapilthio
Old
Thanks Meter 29
You got Droid Bionic Working on GSM ?? How ? Can you post the steps please.

wiltgen
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilthio View Post
You got Droid Bionic Working on GSM ?? How ? Can you post the steps please.
Yes but I want this working completely first. I'll review my procedure to get this working on GB and post here. Then if more people start using it on gsm maybe we can have a fix for ICS ROMs.

On Monday I give you an answer...

kapilthio
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Yes. Once I have the procedure, I can help you to get it working on CM9 ICS for sure.

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltgen View Post
I know this is a pretty old thread but I'm trying this phone right now in Brazil (TIM) GSM/UMTS network.

So far I was able to: install both Gingerbread and ICS stock ROMs as well as Gummy but working real deep into the configs I found that on GB Stock I could enable GSM radio and worked perfectly voice and data (2&3G) however when I switched to ICS (Gummy or Stock) when I follow the same steps to enable GSM radio when the phone actually locks signal in the com.android.telephony (or something like that) force closes and the only way to unloop is wiping data and all.

Does anyone have further information about this?

Thanks in advance

It locks up because there's ZERO support for GSM bands in the Bionic hardware. There's an LTE700 radio, and a CDMA 800/1900

http://developer.motorola.com/produc...d-bionic-xt875

There's Moto's official developer spec sheet for the Bionic. No GSM bands to be found whatsoever. It cannot and will not ever work.

cellzealot
Old
Thanks Meter 853
This is not true. The Bionic has a fully GSM capable MDM6600 chipset, but the GSM bands are disabled in the radio firmware. There is no hardware incompatibility for having a completely global CDMA/LTE/GSM device, it's just VZW not having the network and billing infrastructure in place to make desirable(profitable) to do so. Motorola has already made the device capable of supporting all the bands, including the diversity antenna required.

The D4 has been reported to be slated for an update that will enable the global GSM radio bands and be the first such device available on VZW. No time frame has been released or even official confirmation of their intentions.
CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot View Post
This is not true. The Bionic has a fully GSM capable MDM6600 chipset, but the GSM bands are disabled in the radio firmware.
Fair enough. I'll just wait for the Bionic dev community to cook up GSM-capable Bionic radio firmware from scratch and then figure out how to bypass the locked bootloader to flash that into the phone.