Permanent Call Echo Fix (T-989, ICS + GB Roms)

OP Darmokk

21st April 2012, 01:13 AM   |  #11  
Flag Jacksonville
Thanks Meter: 898

3,970 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by defconoi

Call echo only happens with volume up all the way. If u put in call volume to medium-low it isn't noticeable. Call ur cell from a landline and blow into the mic on landline phone, if it repeats back lower volume and repeat until u don't hear it. What's happening is the headset speaker is too loud and the other mic is picking it up at the top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

That may not be best for pple in the city with low call volume i know they would want to be able to actually hear the person outside you know
21st April 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 19

85 posts
im a little scared to pull my phone apart too. I think i'll wait for a software fix
21st April 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #13  
Flag Dallas, Tx
Thanks Meter: 467

1,937 posts
More
well i never dropped my phone but i do have that issue with ICS and GB!!! when im on ICS my friends says that there is an echo when im on GB they say they can hear me wierd, and when i take the case off they say its a little bit better. so i do think its a hardware issue!!

in the other hand my friend that works at tmobile says that he had heard this issue with all of tmobile phones not just this one
21st April 2012, 05:13 AM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 33

242 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, good discussion on this topic so far.

I agree this is definitely a "macguyver" type fix, but hey if it works it works. I've been daily driving Racing's various ICS ports since the initial leak in SPITE of the caller echo issue (I just talked to everyone on speakerphone lol) so this is really welcome news to me.

As far as damaging your phone, IMHO hacking the phone and installing Rom's is just as potentially dangerous (if not more so) than taking out 6 tiny screws out and inserting a small piece of paper underneath the casing, but its everyones decision if they want to try or not.

I have verified with 4 different callers and tested myself that the fix works for me WITHOUT a case. When I put the D30 case back on my phone there is still echo. Not as bad as before, but its definitely there.

So rolling with no case is kinda annoying but I was thinking of getting an extended battery anyways so this just makes it easier
The Following User Says Thank You to Darmokk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 02:43 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 7

182 posts
FWIW I tried this fix and still get call echo... Slightly reduced maybe but definitely still there.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
21st April 2012, 04:59 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
DFW, TX

242 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c130pilot

FWIW I tried this fix and still get call echo... Slightly reduced maybe but definitely still there.

Interesting do you have a case on your T989? Are you on a GB rom or an ICS leak?

Did you use a business card or just a thin piece of paper? Sorry about all the questions just trying to get as much info as possible from people experiencing this issue.

I also ONLY had the call echo issue when I flashed an ICS rom (and I had the call echo on all 3 of them), however when I went back to STOCK Gingerbread it went away. So maybe this issue is part software/part hardware?

The ICS leaks were the first roms I ever flashed, so I'm interested to know if ANYONE has the call echo on STOCK Gingerbread? I'm thinking that something in ICS increases the gain or does something to either the NC microphone or the speaker somehow?
21st April 2012, 07:20 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 7

182 posts
Happened only on ICS Roms with and without case. GB Roms are ok. Used a business card.

21st April 2012, 08:12 PM   |  #18  
OP Senior Member
DFW, TX

242 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c130pilot

Happened only on ICS Roms with and without case. GB Roms are ok. Used a business card.

Bummer man sorry to hear

If it is a "little" bit better with the business card in there you could try to maybe fold it over and make it a bit thicker? If it helps even a little bit maybe there is some potential there to fix it?
21st April 2012, 09:47 PM   |  #19  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 512

377 posts
Donate to Me
More
where are the noise cancellation files in the ics leak?
23rd April 2012, 07:54 AM   |  #20  
Flag Dallas, Tx
Thanks Meter: 467

1,937 posts
More
my experience from today... i went back to 100% stuck and still had echo.. not as bad with an ics rom.. but my girlfriend had told me that she was hearing it so i took off the cover and she says that it was better. so i kept talking to her and then she said the she hears an echo again so i started to talk more into the mic.. and it was gone. so i do believe its a hardware issue and its when my mouth is not close enough to the mic is when others hear an echo.. ok then again i rooted the phone and flash ics megamix on it so i gave my phone to my girlfriend to see if i can hear an echo.. so when she was holding the phone correctly i didnt heard it but when she put the phone in her shoulder and to hold it there while she talks i hear the echo.. so tell me if this a software or hardware issue.. i think it have something to do with the surrounding and how laud you talk to the person

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread