Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,552 Members 47,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Free sim unlock solution possible?

Tip us?
 
poopymt3g
Old
(Last edited by poopymt3g; 20th April 2012 at 08:19 PM.) Reason: linked wrong post...sorry :(
#1  
poopymt3g's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 337
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Free sim unlock solution possible?

I know I was able to unlock my sensation 4g for free using this method..surely the sim unlock code has to be stored on the device itself because it cannot ping ATT servers if service is unavailable because a different sim has been inserted.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1232107
anyone smart able to chime in on this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poopymt3g For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Don57
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 20
Join Date: Apr 2012
Interesting... That does make sense, but, unfortunately, requires the phone to be rooted first, which is an inherently dangerous task for people who are just looking to unlock and not root their phone. An unlock code costs only $8 online anyway.

Still, very interesting. Thanks for posting this!
 
Theoriginalgiga
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 150
Posts: 508
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopymt3g View Post
I know I was able to unlock my sensation 4g for free using this method..surely the sim unlock code has to be stored on the device itself because it cannot ping ATT servers if service is unavailable because a different sim has been inserted.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1232107
anyone smart able to chime in on this?
Though I can't really comment on if an unlock trick like would work, I do recall a while back there was a statement made by AT&T saying that if you've had your account in good standing for 3 months, they'll issue an unlock code to you no questions asked.

might be a route to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theoriginalgiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
sweetboy02125
Old
#4  
sweetboy02125's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 389
Posts: 1,070
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalgiga View Post
Though I can't really comment on if an unlock trick like would work, I do recall a while back there was a statement made by AT&T saying that if you've had your account in good standing for 3 months, they'll issue an unlock code to you no questions asked.

might be a route to try.
Not for the Note, ATT will release unlock code for good standing account in August. 6 months for the Note. Call almost 8 CSs and they all said that
PHONE: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II
TABLETS: MS Surface Pro
Website: http://dannyandthoan.com

 
poopymt3g
Old
(Last edited by poopymt3g; 20th April 2012 at 10:04 PM.)
#5  
poopymt3g's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 337
Join Date: Oct 2010
Yeah I am a tmobile customer and bought a note from a friend on ATT they wouldnt give him the unlock code until 3 months after purchase..I saw some pretty bad reviews on the $8 dollar site..i should have my note soon so ill tinker around with it for a bit and if i fail ill pay the 25 bucks to unlock it..
 
kimtyson
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 537
Posts: 1,529
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: York, Pa
I used a similar unlock trick to unlock a cheap Samsung Dart (Mini) I got. It used the /dev/block and I forget the rest of it. Then using a Hex editor I just searched for the 8 digit unlock code. I bet something similar would work for the Note.
Please use search before posting your question.
Be kind to the devs! Without them, XDA is just a bunch of jerks bickering.
 
linuxchan6
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 32
Join Date: Feb 2012
I have heard 6 months as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717
 
Skizzy034
Old
#8  
Skizzy034's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 983
Posts: 4,924
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amsterdam, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Interesting... That does make sense, but, unfortunately, requires the phone to be rooted first, which is an inherently dangerous task for people who are just looking to unlock and not root their phone. An unlock code costs only $8 online anyway.

Still, very interesting. Thanks for posting this!
Rooting is not inherently dangerous. It's these types of posts that scare off people from the rooting community. This seems like it would work pretty good for some people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. -KidCarter93

My Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sgutowski77
 
Don57
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 20
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizzMcNizz View Post
Rooting is not inherently dangerous.
IMO, any simple action which could instantly turn one's phone into a very expensive paperweight through no fault of one's own is pretty dangerous. Add on top of that all the foreknowledge that must go into rooting a phone without error and things get even more dangerous.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but until the tools to root phones become foolproof, I would never ever consider recommending someone who is not somewhat tech savvy to root their phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizzMcNizz View Post
It's these types of posts that scare off people from the rooting community.
Again, IMO (and this is not directed at you) it's the attitude of many people on this site that scares people away from the rooting community. It's disheartening to see how often people are insulted on this forum just because they are trying to learn something. Again, not directed at you; just an observation of someone who is new to the forums and has read many threads...
 
tenderchkn
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 137
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
IMO, any simple action which could instantly turn one's phone into a very expensive paperweight through no fault of one's own is pretty dangerous. Add on top of that all the foreknowledge that must go into rooting a phone without error and things get even more dangerous.

I suppose we can agree to disagree, but until the tools to root phones become foolproof, I would never ever consider recommending someone who is not somewhat tech savvy to root their phone.
Rooting is not inherently dangerous, as already stated above, and it is nearly impossible to hard brick your phone. If one does manage to hard brick their phone, it can't be said that it was achieved through no fault of their own, because it would take a concerted effort, or blatant disregard for safety, to achieve this. Even soft bricks are exceedingly rare if you simply follow directions.

Of course, it goes without saying that people who don't know what they are doing should not be messing with their devices. There are warnings on the top of every ROM/kernel/root/recovery thread telling you that you WILL brick if you do something wrong. But it's not like rooting or flashing custom ROMs is rocket science. All the hard work has already been done. All that is required from the end user is carefully read the instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to tenderchkn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Pushbullet Updated with SMS Send Ability

Pushbullet is one of thoseapplications that every Android lover should have installed on his or … more

[OTA] Nvidia Shield Tablet Receives its First Update

The Nvidia Shield Tabletis the latest toy from one of the largest desktop graphics … more

Quick Control Panel Updated, Adds Notification Support

As some of you may remember, earlier this year we spoke about Quick Control Panel by … more

Narrate Makes Note Taking Efficient and Beautiful

Technology has put life on the fast track. Whether its travelling to multiple places or … more