Help Needed!

Search This thread

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
Hi guys, I've bought a 2 day old archos 101 G9 8gb with 3.2 on it.
my questions are....

1- once i receive it, whats the process of updating it to the 4.0.4?

2- do you think its worth doing the update? or am i safer on 3.2?

3- is there lots of problems with 4.0.4 at the moment?

4- i'll eventually want to root the tablet so that i can put custom roms onto it, whats the best custom rom at the moment? and whats the process to rooting it and getting the rom?

5- I'm based in london, UK but i bought the tablet off someone in Ireland which is also UK, would there be a difference in the english and irish versions?

cheers in advance guys.

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
1. Just goto Settings > About > Software Update.

2. ICS is working fine, WiFi etc.

3. Same as above.

4. Best ROM at the moment would be ICS@Blue and the rooting procedure is fairly easy.
Quinny898 made a guide. You can find it in Archos G9 Development
5. They're the same.
Although there is the Archos 101S and 101H. Don't think theres any differences

Sent from my X8 using Tapatalk

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
cheers for the reply, so... your saying the 4.0.4 is stable enough to use now? because i recently see a few threads of people complaining about all sorts of stuff.

when you say there is 101H and a 101S, would there be a way of me finding out which 1 i have? and also, there must be some kind of difference between the 2 :confused:

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
And also, the reason i mentioned rooting, was because i used to own a motorola xoom and once that was rooted, there was loads of amazing roms to use, I aint managed to find any nice roms for the archos yet, so apart from the changing rom, is it really worth rooting? what benefits will i get from rooting?

Last edited:

psiman24

Mar 13, 2012
Kent
And also, the reason i mentioned rooting, was because i used to own a motorola xoom and once that was rooted, there was loads of amazing roms to use, I aint managed to find any nice roms for the archos yet, so apart from the changing rom, is it really worth rooting? what benefits will i get from rooting?

It's worth rooting your tablet just for the apps that need root alone (titanium backup,add removers etc).

Then there's also the advantage of custom rooms.

Also use set CPU or something similar to change the governor as this makes the device a lot more stable (performance works good for me).

Psi.

Reactions: MrLarner

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
cheers for the reply, so... your saying the 4.0.4 is stable enough to use now? because i recently see a few threads of people complaining about all sorts of stuff.

when you say there is 101H and a 101S, would there be a way of me finding out which 1 i have? and also, there must be some kind of difference between the 2 :confused:

A lot of those topics were from people who had loads of apps and updated to ICS.
Since your tablet is quite new and you probably don't have too many apps yet, now would be ideal to
update to ICS. :)

Shano56 made a guide to most things for the A101G9 so you may want to check that too.

Sent using XDA Premium HD from my ICS Powered tablet

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Here is Shano56' guide : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542058

Also, to find what Archos Model you have go to Settings > About > Board Version.

There you'll see A101S or A101H. I've got the S. AFAIK, nothing is different.
Attached you'll find a screenshot of my About.:)

Screenshot_2012-04-21-12-40-39-picsay.jpg

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
cheers guys, thanks for the help. i'll take a look through that guide now.
thanks again.

Gnudoll

Jan 27, 2012
Actually, I was under the impression that the letter on the end denoted the storage type. H for the 250Gb HDD, and S for the solid state flash drive.

Gnudoll

Jan 27, 2012
In the S models, the data storage is on a memory chip inside the tablet that is similar to a SDcard. In that it has no moving parts, it is called "solid state". I called it a flash drive because the flash drives (or thumb drives, or USB drives) that you plug into the USB port of your computer are made the same way. I named it that way in particular way to tie it into the S on the end of the model number. The S units are the ones that are 8Gb or 16Gb.

Reactions: - Swift -

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Just goto Settings > About > Software Update.

2. ICS is working fine, WiFi etc.

3. Same as above.

4. Best ROM at the moment would be ICS@Blue and the rooting procedure is fairly easy.
    Quinny898 made a guide. You can find it in Archos G9 Development
    5. They're the same.
    Although there is the Archos 101S and 101H. Don't think theres any differences

Sent from my X8 using Tapatalk

It's worth rooting your tablet just for the apps that need root alone (titanium backup,add removers etc).

Then there's also the advantage of custom rooms.

Also use set CPU or something similar to change the governor as this makes the device a lot more stable (performance works good for me).

Psi.
    In the S models, the data storage is on a memory chip inside the tablet that is similar to a SDcard. In that it has no moving parts, it is called "solid state". I called it a flash drive because the flash drives (or thumb drives, or USB drives) that you plug into the USB port of your computer are made the same way. I named it that way in particular way to tie it into the S on the end of the model number. The S units are the ones that are 8Gb or 16Gb.