G2 camera glass on the outside? where to get one?

Search This thread

konoplya

Oct 15, 2010
Ancapistan
ok so i've searched all over the place and all i see is the actual camera unit for sale. i can't find the outside piece thats on the case (the glass piece). mine is all scratched up and my pics look like ****. all blurry and fuzzy looking. i'd like to replace it, but can't find that piece. any help would be appreciated. thank you guys.

Gwanatu

Oct 12, 2010
Apopka, FL

konoplya

Oct 15, 2010
Ancapistan

thanks for the links. i actually saw these when i searched the web. i was hoping to only get that small glass piece that covers the camera instead of buying the whole back cover. not sure if it actually comes like that, but if anyone else has any info on it that would be great.

Athrun88

Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
thanks for the links. i actually saw these when i searched the web. i was hoping to only get that small glass piece that covers the camera instead of buying the whole back cover. not sure if it actually comes like that, but if anyone else has any info on it that would be great.

From the links, it looks like it's built into the back casing. Kinda makes sense though since it would have to be pressfit on I guess.

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Mine too!

I have had the unfortunate results like yourselves. However what I did serves me well enough.

I took a screen protector and cut a small square. Placing that over the camera has removed the haze from my pictures.

Guru Zeb

Jan 17, 2012
Up North !!!!!!!!!
mine is all scratched up and my pics look like ****. all blurry and fuzzy looking. i'd like to replace it, but can't find that piece..

hmmmm kind of serves you right for keeping your phone unprotected in a pocket with keys or lose change.
next time round get a case/pouch mine covers my entire phone protecting from both scratches and impact damage.

BTW the DZ cam is pretty crappy and blurry any way ........ even by pinhole lens phone cam standards so don't expect miracles once replaced.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
BTW the DZ cam is pretty crappy and blurry any way ........ even by pinhole lens phone cam standards so don't expect miracles once replaced.

Umm, no. My Z takes pretty good photos. Of course very low light situations will result in longer shutter time, and increased chances for blur due to camera or the subject moving. But in most conditions good photos are very possible, and mostly a matter of technique and experience. Manually adjusting ISO, white balance, taking advantage of what light is present, and bracing the camera can all have major impact on the quality of the photo, even in lower light situations. Moral of the story your problem is likely more the user, and not the equipment. I don't mean that in a pejorative way. But while not the best camera phone around, good photos are possible with the Z, with the proper technique.

Last edited:

Guru Zeb

Jan 17, 2012
Up North !!!!!!!!!
Umm, no. My Z takes pretty good photos. Of course very low light situations will result in longer shutter time, and increased chances for blur due to camera or the subject moving. But in most conditions good photos are very possible, and mostly a matter of technique and experience. Manually adjusting ISO, white balance, taking advantage of what light is present, and bracing the camera can all have major impact on the quality of the photo, even in lower light situations. Moral of the story your problem is likely more the user, and not the equipment. I don't mean that in a pejorative way. But while not the best camera phone around, good photos are possible with the Z, with the proper technique.

No offence bro but considering the fact i was a professional photographer for 6 years straight and still do some work now as a pro photographer.
I have no "problems" with photographic "technique"
Maybe my ideas of 'clear' and 'sharp' digital images is a little more informed and nuanced than yours. But compared to a few other 5mp phone cameras IMHO the Desire Z is on average at best and poor if you want to be critical.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
No offence bro but considering the fact i was a professional photographer for 6 years straight and still do some work now as a pro photographer.
I have no "problems" with photographic "technique"
Maybe my ideas of 'clear' and 'sharp' digital images is a little more informed and nuanced than yours. But compared to a few other 5mp phone cameras IMHO the Desire Z is on average at best and poor if you want to be critical.

Hard to take your comment of "no offence" seriously, as you are bragging about your photog experience and how much "more informed" you are than me (no basis for any such claim). Why not keep it to a technical discussion, instead of boasting about how awesome you are, "bro"?

Largely comes down to expectations and opinion. Camera phones are largely for spur-of the moment snapshots (not serious photography). For this, the Desire Z is just fine. We are also talking about a phone that is a year and a half old. In its time, its camera was much better (especially low light) than the iPhone iteration of the time (3GS). Were there camera phones at the time that were a bit better, yes, but not drastically. More recent phones have significantly better cameras, and the One X looks to blow away most the competition (except the Nokia Pureview's monster 41 MP camera). But seeing as every other spec on smartphones has come a long way in the past year and a half, its not really fair to compare the Z to newer phones.

Also, seeing as the OP is just looking to restore his present technology to a previous condition, calling it "crappy and blurry" doesn't really help him out at all.

Last edited:

killj0y

Jul 2, 2011
Agree with previous poster, seriously if you want good pics you get an slr or dedicated rig. Most people don't carry that around. For what it is the camera on this phone is very good to good enough depending who you ask and their expectations. Sure beats carrying around a point and shoot or slr multi lens combo. Like I told the OP if your considering getting a new back then try cleaning it up with a mild abrasive like a lens restorer, CD scratch remover something of that nature. I used the stuff for headlights it was like 5 bucks. Don't go crazy I used super minimal pressure and a soft paper towel and it took all of 30 seconds to clear up no joke. Good as new and I haven't had to do it again. In my case it was the anti-reflective coating in the glass, since it was shot who cares right? Came off and pics are sharp again. In the future if I actually scratch it I'll probably buy a replacement but that did it for me. Just my 2 cents.

ronmq

Dec 31, 2011
Madrid
Thaks for the links, i have problems with the camera glass too.

Enviado desde mi HTC Vision usando Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts