Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 45,036 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sprint threatening letter! Not really unlimited...

Tip us?

tekknozid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Haven't had any problems with sprint other than hitting their bandwidth throttle. Seemed to limit my down rates to 300Kb/s at first then just cripple to a trickle after that.

Vain III
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Did you have a high spike in usage? Did you move into a highly populated area?

These could be why. For example; 25GB, 41GB, 33GB, 44GB; Those are my usages for the last 4 billing cycles. I transfer a lot of data over wifi, my home network, and other networks. Along with solely high quality video and audio [MOG, Rhapsody] streams. I've never received a letter or complaint.
While you in the alley playing dice. I'm on the yacht contemplating plans for the next diamond heist.

inflewence
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Just got a letter from sprint saying exactly what the OP said. Not roaming but "unlimited data" usage. I'm always on 4g and I used about 109gb of data this month. They said if I don't control it they will terminate my contract. That's a lot of data I know but unlimited is unlimited!!! F them!

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2570

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflewence View Post
Just got a letter from sprint saying exactly what the OP said. Not roaming but "unlimited data" usage. I'm always on 4g and I used about 109gb of data this month. They said if I don't control it they will terminate my contract. That's a lot of data I know but unlimited is unlimited!!! F them!
Even I would argue against you dude. 109GB is an insane amount. They mean unlimited to a reasonable amount. My friend goes to 60GB and doesn't get warned. You must've went crazy with your data to make them warn you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

chrischoi
Old
Thanks Meter 408
If it does happen, just start up a prepaid number somewhere and port it out. Then port it back into Sprint. They have no say then.

jman42028
Old
Thanks Meter 18
just to clarify, as I work for sprint currently:

Updating your PRL does nothing, other than tell the phone which towers have lower roaming costs. (on sprint)

Verizon doesn't roam on any network. (I was a verizon manager as well) If you have a vzw phone, you won't roam at all.

If your using 109 gb's a month and complaining about sprint saying something to you, I would reccommend getting an actual home internet connection instead of using it for tethering so much.

As far as the roaming stuff, yes, if you roam a ton while with sprint, they can release you from the contract, but its not an automatic thing. A lot of times you will have to call cs a few times (because sprint CS sucks, and are a bunch of morons usually) and have them pull the account and see how much you are roaming and how many dropped calls, ect, are.

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2570

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman42028 View Post
just to clarify, as I work for sprint currently:

Updating your PRL does nothing, other than tell the phone which towers have lower roaming costs. (on sprint)

Verizon doesn't roam on any network. (I was a verizon manager as well) If you have a vzw phone, you won't roam at all.

If your using 109 gb's a month and complaining about sprint saying something to you, I would reccommend getting an actual home internet connection instead of using it for tethering so much.

As far as the roaming stuff, yes, if you roam a ton while with sprint, they can release you from the contract, but its not an automatic thing. A lot of times you will have to call cs a few times (because sprint CS sucks, and are a bunch of morons usually) and have them pull the account and see how much you are roaming and how many dropped calls, ect, are.
I was a technician at both Sprint and Verizon and I can tell you Verizon roams on Sprint. It happens a lot on my campus.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

Imaginos
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Oh, sweet. This argument again. Please read the 'unlimited' agreement you have with Sprint. Please note the conditions which apply. Please note what specific data activities you are permitted in the agreement. Note also the prohibited activities. Finally, pay close attention to the bottom of this contract where you electronically signed and acknowledged/agreed to all the conditions which they are well within their rights to enforce.

109gb of data is quite a bit. How does one's handheld use that much data in a month?

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2570

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginos View Post
Oh, sweet. This argument again. Please read the 'unlimited' agreement you have with Sprint. Please note the conditions which apply. Please note what specific data activities you are permitted in the agreement. Note also the prohibited activities. Finally, pay close attention to the bottom of this contract where you electronically signed and acknowledged/agreed to all the conditions which they are well within their rights to enforce.

109gb of data is quite a bit. How does one's handheld use that much data in a month?
Tethering, obviously. I'm ok with tethering to a reasonable amount (ie to browse the web for a little while when there's no connection), or even to download a couple of gigs (on 4G) but 109GB is ridiculous and I side with Sprint in this case.

4ktvs
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Verizon throttled me for using 89GB ONE time, and then throttled me at 12gb. Now I have only used 5GB on my verizon phone so they don't come down with the throttle hamer of doom. Just giving a heads up that verizon is not true unlimited.

Proof:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbvD...hannel&list=UL

That is all
Phone right now:
Verizon galaxy S4

Cell phones before: Motorola KRZR K1

Droid RAZR on verizon x2: It went Back to verizon, because IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!

Samsung galaxy S3 on US cellular with 4G LTE Unlimited data. ( Max was 21/10 avg was 5-8 down and 2-4 up) Only had it for a day

Verizon S3 is sold

Samsung galaxy S2 No longer in service

VS Screw Time warner cable