5,600,571 Members 33,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Modding the original samsung dock

Tip us?

ro_explorer
Old
(Last edited by ro_explorer; 25th April 2012 at 01:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 506
Default Modding the original samsung dock

After buying the dock and seeing that I've paid $24 only for a piece of plastic with a connector I decided to dig a little deeper into it to make it better.

So, I was assimilating information from these topics:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1155065
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...63&postcount=4

I started to put my knowledge at work and this is what came out - see attachments.

Basically I can now use my charger of choice and at the same time I can plug in USB stuff.

The small relay inside is switching the power supply for the USB host from the 5V output of the tablet to the main 5V supply when you are plugging in the power adapter (the original or non-original).
The button next to the USB host (I know .. it is white .. but they were not having other colors at the electronics store ) has the function to switch the connection of the USB port from the regular OTG to the circuit that is enabling the AC charging on the tablet. So, when I'm not using the usb host capabilities the tablet will charge in fast mode, with full current.

There is one interesting thing I've found. If I'm plugging in the tablet with the switch in the fast-charge mode and after that I'm switching to USB-Host mode, the tablet will still continue to charge in AC mode (see snapshots for proof ).

I have to mention that all the original functionality of the dock has been preserved and the 30 pin connector at the back can still be used with the original intent (with the proper cables).

If anyone want to replicate this mod and needs additional details, just ask and I'll gladly answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9110.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1016863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9113.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1016864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9114.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1016865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9115.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1016866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9116.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1016867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9117.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1016868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9118.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1016869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9120.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1016870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9124.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1016874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9125.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1016875  

Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
Nexus 4 - 16GB - Stock 4.4.2 + xposed
LG G Pad 8.3 - Stock + xposed
In-house: Nexus 7 - 32GB - (Stock 4.4.2 - rooted), RAZR i (stock 4.1.2 - rooted), Defy (MIUI) + Galaxy Tab 8.9 (ICS stock- rooted)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ro_explorer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aj_vogtman
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Very cool. Lots of great details and pics.

pseudo_nomen
Old
Thanks Meter 4
One word: Brilliant.

Good work mate.

Jameslepable
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Awesome :) what about a HDMI port?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy NEXUS 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Stock, Stock Kernal (for now)

Samsung Galaxy tab 8.9 3.2 Stock ROM, Rooted

Old

LG Optimus One OFFICIAL CM7.2 @ 806Mhz

LG Optimus Swift ICS BETA ROM

ro_explorer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 506
The hdmi has to wait a little. I have ordered a mhl adapter on ebay but is gonna take a while until will arive. An on top of that I need to find time in my crowded schedule.
Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
In-house: Nexus 7 - 32GB - (Stock 4.4.2 - rooted), RAZR i (stock 4.1.2 - rooted), Defy (MIUI) + Galaxy Tab 8.9 (ICS stock- rooted)

satein
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Could you please supply the wiring schematic diagram of your mod? That would be a lot helpful. Thank you.

YellowRex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is awesome, great work! Shame it doesn't come with that full USB port stock. If I get one of these tabs, I'll definitely be looking to repeat your work.

hp0369
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_explorer View Post
The hdmi has to wait a little. I have ordered a mhl adapter on ebay but is gonna take a while until will arive. An on top of that I need to find time in my crowded schedule.
awesome, can't wait to see your update of HDMI

ro_explorer
Old
(Last edited by ro_explorer; 12th May 2012 at 01:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 506
I'm sorry not to have provided the requested info but my daily job is currently killing all my time (including the theoretically spare time). I'll draw the schematics ASAP and also I'll re-order the MHL adapter since the first one got lost in the mail (and I've been reimbursed).

Anyway, as a heads-up - I'm thinking to put the MHL adapter on top of the dock so I'll keep the original port accessible (and also the audio jack). I still don't know how exactly I'm going to do this ... but I think I'll figure it out when the time will come.
Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ro_explorer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

puppettestpilot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up thats quite innovative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_explorer View Post
apparently the dock has hdmi passthrough meaning you still need the samsung hdmi adapter (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...EPL-3PHPBEGSTA) I haven't yet tried my dock with my hdmi adapter, I will do tomorrow and let you know - good luck incorporating that too