Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Keep it Civil]Tegra3 & Other Tablet Soc discussions/spec comparisons. Tablet ONLY!

OP demandarin

21st April 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #21  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,046

6,980 posts
More
It was aimed more for tegra3 doubters in general. Only one, nexus tablet, hasn't been officially announced.

Plus you basing tegra3 being released last year is b.s. when it released at the end of December. So tegra3 devices really started rolling out 2012, not 2011.

As I've seen you couldn't produce a list with as numerous tablets by a single chip maker set to release, I rest my case. 300 can be pre ordered now. Infinity pad will come after. Toshiba pads already set to release. All those on the list, except nexus tablet, is set to release with 1-3 months.

Fact still stands Tegra3 is the most powerful chip in Android tablets today. CPU and GPU wise. NVIDIA is already set to command half the year or more of having the most powerful android tablet chip. With announcement already made on new tegra3 aka T3+, it'll continue holding that title. Then that'll lead into tegra4, which will easily continue to carry the torch. Case closed.
21st April 2012, 04:28 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 153

891 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie

I said currently available, not in july, not in summer, none of the bolded products above are available for purchase from places like amazon or brick and mortar stores, some haven't even been officially announced yet (ie, the nexus tablet)

you need to calm down, you've regressed to a ranting, raving lunatic around here

When did Google announce they will be making Tegra 3 tablet? As far as the rumor goes, they haven't decided which SoC to use as they are trying to trim the price down....

But since OP pointed out... I'm sure it is a confirmation/fact since he made such statement.

Kinda odd for a SuperChip showdown thread that you only see "Tegra & Nvidia" news based on their PowerPoint. Plus, I thought according to Nvidia... Tegra 3 has achieved Console Quality graphics already (with ahem.. some claiming that Tegra 3 is at the same lvl as xbox 360 & PS3)... but now, mobile GPU might reach xbox 360 by 2014???

I wonder what else they will state next.....

Edit: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/04/qua...-short-supply/

Quote from that article...

"Qualcomm has announced that it underestimated the demand for its new S4 processor for use in mobile devices like tablets and smartphones. Apparently, the increase in adoption of mobile devices to Qualcomm’s S4 Snapdragon chipset line is creating shortages that the company might not have the capacity to handle until the end of the year. The chipset can be found on devices like the HTC One X."

Could be just marketing BS by Qualcomm, but I'm sure Nvidia would like to face such problem.... HIGH DEMAND
Last edited by shinzz; 21st April 2012 at 04:31 PM.
21st April 2012, 06:52 PM   |  #23  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin

P.S. TEGRA3 IS THE MOST POWERFUL ANDROID TABLET CHIP OUT NOW AND HAS BEEN SIMCE DECEMBER. MOST POWERFUL CPU & GPU

"If you already read our HTC One S review you already know what to expect here. The Terga 3 chipset, despite being a quad-core one, is based on the older, Cortex-A9, architecture, so it's not dramatically faster than the latest generation dual-core Krait processors. What's more, on some benchmarks Tegra 3 lagged behind the Snapdragon

Oddly enough, single-threaded performance wasn't that different as Benchmark Pi shows, but Linpack tested in multi-threaded mode showed that two Krait cores outdo the Tegra 3 quartet. Still, the One X CPU provides plenty of power and chances are you won't be feeling limited by it in the near future."

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-review-747p3.php

Quote:

Show me another chip maker that will have this many tablets and some phones with a comparable powerful chip by july at the latest.

Being king of tablet processors isn't enough for Nvidia to make their sales goals. There's not enough volume. On your list there's one phone, the non-LTE One X (LTE=S4). Now that I own one I know why Teg3 isn't being used in phones; it's a battery sucking pig. With a larger battery, doing the exact same things with the exact same apps I get 30% less battery life than I did with my i9100. Granted, some of it is the display but that level of battery performance will kill Teg3 in phones and explains why you don't see any. And phones are where the volume is. Teg3 is 40nm, the 4212 is 32nm, and the S4 is 28nm. The more modern chips (at least S4) deliver similar performance more efficiently without eating batteries for lunch. And the fifth core is amazing, the phone uses very little power at idle. So Teg3 is the chip to beat for people that donít use their phones.
21st April 2012, 08:23 PM   |  #24  
Flag Alexandria, Va

6,980 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

"If you already read our HTC One S review you already know what to expect here. The Terga 3 chipset, despite being a quad-core one, is based on the older, Cortex-A9, architecture, so it's not dramatically faster than the latest generation dual-core Krait processors. What's more, on some benchmarks Tegra 3 lagged behind the Snapdragon

Oddly enough, single-threaded performance wasn't that different as Benchmark Pi shows, but Linpack tested in multi-threaded mode showed that two Krait cores outdo the Tegra 3 quartet. Still, the One X CPU provides plenty of power and chances are you won't be feeling limited by it in the near future."

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-review-747p3.php

Being king of tablet processors isn't enough for Nvidia to make their sales goals. There's not enough volume. On your list there's one phone, the non-LTE One X (LTE=S4). Now that I own one I know why Teg3 isn't being used in phones; it's a battery sucking pig. With a larger battery, doing the exact same things with the exact same apps I get 30% less battery life than I did with my i9100. Granted, some of it is the display but that level of battery performance will kill Teg3 in phones and explains why you don't see any. And phones are where the volume is. Teg3 is 40nm, the 4212 is 32nm, and the S4 is 28nm. The more modern chips (at least S4) deliver similar performance more efficiently without eating batteries for lunch. And the fifth core is amazing, the phone uses very little power at idle. So Teg3 is the chip to beat for people that don’t use their phones.

in phones it does eat batteries for lunch..lol then add in the fact that htc making the batteries non replaceable hurts them in general. even for other processors. no more carrying a spare battery around.

i need to find out if the new tegra3 plus aka T3+ is still 40nm or if they reduced it to at least 32nm or so. there's a good chance they have.

just like apple is doing, if you haven't heard. apple is secretly reducing the size of the a5 processors in ipad 2 to a smaller die size. it'll make the ipad2 more efficient and even better on battery. tegra3 was the first of its kind. so going smaller die size is only natural. we already know tegra4 will use the same 4+1 arrangement of chips. except this time it'll have 5 Cortex 28nm A15 for the CPU. then everything is pointing to its gpu being keplar based so that'll put its gpu well above the entire competition. even anandtech said nothing will be more advanced or as powerful as that. Alot, including me, are waiting anxiously for benchmarks and more detailed info. Nvidia already released tegra4 to manufacturers since December so we should see stuff popping up soon.

p.s. oh n theres 4 phones on that list. htc one x, htc one xl, lg phone, and a zte one
Last edited by demandarin; 21st April 2012 at 08:26 PM.
23rd April 2012, 10:21 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 32

88 posts
More
And the rants continue tegra SOC' s will remain topdog for a very long time
23rd April 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 37

308 posts
Leaked reports have shown that expected, the quad core exynos absolutely destroys tegra 3
23rd April 2012, 09:19 PM   |  #27  
Flag Alexandria, Va

6,980 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by walie

Leaked reports have shown that expected, the quad core exynos absolutely destroys tegra 3

That blasphemy is not even worth a good response. 2012 is the year of Tegra3. Period.

nice try though
24th April 2012, 02:15 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 20

278 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Being king of tablet processors isn't enough for Nvidia to make their sales goals. There's not enough volume. On your list there's one phone, the non-LTE One X (LTE=S4). Now that I own one I know why Teg3 isn't being used in phones; it's a battery sucking pig. With a larger battery, doing the exact same things with the exact same apps I get 30% less battery life than I did with my i9100. Granted, some of it is the display but that level of battery performance will kill Teg3 in phones and explains why you don't see any. And phones are where the volume is. Teg3 is 40nm, the 4212 is 32nm, and the S4 is 28nm. The more modern chips (at least S4) deliver similar performance more efficiently without eating batteries for lunch. And the fifth core is amazing, the phone uses very little power at idle. So Teg3 is the chip to beat for people that donít use their phones.

I only see one Krait phone and nothing with Samsung's SoC. So both eating into the battery, too?
24th April 2012, 02:25 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 326

3,290 posts
You guys ain't fanboy'n chipsets are you? Your love for these chips is unrequited, since they have no feelings
24th April 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #30  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin

I only see one Krait phone and nothing with Samsung's SoC. So both eating into the battery, too?

There are two Krait phones; the One S on T-Mobile and the One X(L) on AT&T. The next Evo on Sprint (a modified One XL) is also Krait. To dramatize how bad Teg3 is at battery life, the One XL (Krait) gets 5 hours of screen on time over 16 hours while the One X (Teg3) is lucky to get 3 over 12. And they use the same display and battery so the only difference is the SoC and drivers. But fortunately Nvidia has PowerPoint slides that they're applying to the problem.

The SGS3 is using the Exynos 4212 which is quad-core. There's some obscure Chinese phone releasing in May using it too.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread