Post Reply

{KERNEL - DEV} (Open Source Kernel) XpLoDWilD's PopAds Kernel- NOTE IS BACK!(30.4.12)

OP androidindian

21st April 2012, 07:01 PM   |  #161  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,470
 
13,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Donate to Me
More
We would've been here 2-3 weeks ago if xplod hadn't hardbricked. Improperly ported recoveries FTL. (As I understand it, he tested one of the AOSP firmwares based on a repacked leak kernel, and that kernel had a recovery with serious issues including a good chance of hardbricking if you flash something else.)

hwaccel is working, gps is a bitch. Right now one of the main reasons I bought this device was because it is dual-constellation GPS+GLONASS, so that's higher on my list than pen at the moment. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's looking promising.

I probably won't release anything until xplod gets his device back and can review and test my work. And again, to make it clear - this is almost entirely xplodwild's work.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 07:06 PM   |  #162  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 170
 
1,523 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Good to hear. I have used your work on my old infuse and on my girls sgs2 now the note .


Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #163  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 75
 
505 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
I also loved your work on the infuse.... I think this is awesome how these devs are coming together to bring sweetness to our devices! Big thumbs up guys!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to eroracing For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2012, 07:38 PM   |  #164  
androidindian's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 808
 
1,768 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

We would've been here 2-3 weeks ago if xplod hadn't hardbricked. Improperly ported recoveries FTL. (As I understand it, he tested one of the AOSP firmwares based on a repacked leak kernel, and that kernel had a recovery with serious issues including a good chance of hardbricking if you flash something else.)

hwaccel is working, gps is a bitch. Right now one of the main reasons I bought this device was because it is dual-constellation GPS+GLONASS, so that's higher on my list than pen at the moment. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it's looking promising.

I probably won't release anything until xplod gets his device back and can review and test my work. And again, to make it clear - this is almost entirely xplodwild's work.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the detailed updates bro

Yes since xplod flashed aosp with lp1 repack recovery and flashed cm9 he built based on 2.x ... that's where it got bricked

But if the recovery has issues... we can easily go back to gb by flashing stock via Odin... then it becomes normal isn't it? Trying to make sense of it all

Thanks a lot bro !



Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
21st April 2012, 07:50 PM   |  #165  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,470
 
13,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Donate to Me
More
I've had no problem nandroiding back and forth, although I haven't tested it too much yet. I do know I can nandroid back to what (if I recall correctly) is CheckROM + CF-Root. (I honestly spent maybe ten minutes before deciding I wanted CM9...)

I think the problem was that whatever repack recovery he was using was bad. We just had that happen over in I777-land - a whole bunch of people hardbricked last week during fairly normal flashing operations after months of almost no hardbricks (and those that did hardbrick did something utterly stupid), the common theme was they were all flashing from a particular repacked leak kernel. Not that repacks are fundamentally dangerous - CF-Root proves that repacks can be OK - but some repackers screw up and don't check their work.
21st April 2012, 07:59 PM   |  #166  
androidindian's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 808
 
1,768 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I've had no problem nandroiding back and forth, although I haven't tested it too much yet. I do know I can nandroid back to what (if I recall correctly) is CheckROM + CF-Root. (I honestly spent maybe ten minutes before deciding I wanted CM9...)

I think the problem was that whatever repack recovery he was using was bad. We just had that happen over in I777-land - a whole bunch of people hardbricked last week during fairly normal flashing operations after months of almost no hardbricks (and those that did hardbrick did something utterly stupid), the common theme was they were all flashing from a particular repacked leak kernel. Not that repacks are fundamentally dangerous - CF-Root proves that repacks can be OK - but some repackers screw up and don't check their work.

Thanks for the insight bro
I guess that is why it has been highly recommend to use Odin stock to go back to gb from repack based roms right now...
And then I would format and wipe everything to make sure all is working smoothly

So yes all these dirty things hopefully going to be ended soon after your and xplods awesome works !! Excited for the times to come

Thanks bro. And updated the op. If you need me to add anything please do let me know



Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
21st April 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #167  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 170
 
1,523 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
Odin isn't recommended to go back to gb where have you been? Using redpill recovery is the recommended method actually. It handles nandroids better than the cwm used in the repackaged kernals for ics...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #168  
chasmodo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 40,586
 
12,111 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSofDOOM

Odin isn't recommended to go back to gb where have you been? Using redpill recovery is the recommended method actually. It handles nandroids better than the cwm used in the repackaged kernals for ics...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, Redpill is the way to go back to GB.
22nd April 2012, 12:27 AM   |  #169  
androidindian's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 808
 
1,768 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSofDOOM

Odin isn't recommended to go back to gb where have you been? Using redpill recovery is the recommended method actually. It handles nandroids better than the cwm used in the repackaged kernals for ics...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I like doing a super clean install dude. PC Odin back to stock gb firmware works great too

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Last edited by androidindian; 22nd April 2012 at 12:36 AM.
22nd April 2012, 12:46 AM   |  #170  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,470
 
13,360 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
Donate to Me
More
I've always found CWM to be more reliable in terms of nandroids than any other recovery. The most frequent thing to break in alternative recoveries is nandroid restore for whatever reason.

Properly repacked kernels with CWM do fine - CF-Root with 5.0.2.7 has been no problem for me on Gingerbread, and 5.5.0.4 has been working great on CM9.

Currently:
Video hwaccel - working
GPS - Working, although GLONASS is either not being used or just reporting as not locked even though it is. Samsung's sat status interface in ICS is mangled, I need to bring gpswrapper over to this device to see what the deal is.
Stylus - Working with apps like Quill that support the standard Android 4.0 stylus API. (Haven't really tested anything else, but I know S-Pen API apps will not work and it's going to stay that way.)
Camera - untested, probably not working, I tried to implement Torch and it did not play well

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
##please remove those silly tags##, android 4.0, aosp, development, free phone, kernel, open source, pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism, suckers, vaporware, yes this is dog
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note GT-N7000 General by ThreadRank