Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 46,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New firmware, V21Y for G2X showing in LGMobile Support Tool

Tip us?

jboxer
Old
Thanks Meter 426

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmit View Post
I wonder sometimes if the devs are not coordinating and planning these leaks. Surely they are on XDA. From what I have experienced in the IT industry, it is always good to expand outside of internal testing and move into a phase of a larger audience by getting the product into the hands of a few customers. Analyze the results.. make necessary changes... then do a larger launch..

I've seen this happen multiple times while on XDA.. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that these are planned leaks, planned removals of the leaks, and they are currently analyzing the posts on XDA.. As a matter of fact, I bet the devs and management are fist pumping the fact that other roms aren't working on this baseband..
That is basically what I said before. They decide to do an initial release of so many thousand devices. As soon as that many have been updated the release is pulled until the fallout of the release can be evaulated. Normally they use TMO employees for that phase, but most of them have probably moved on to newer devices by now. This happens almost every time with every LG rom release.
Want to sim unlock your LG phone: PM me for more info.
Instructions on how to enter unlock code can be found here. http://bit.ly/wyYl5z

If you appreciate my work please buy me some coffee.

emacomputer
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
dont work here running win 7 ultimate said the LGUserCSTool LgMobile Application has stopped working

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...101045453.jpg/

Core Memory
Old
(Last edited by Core Memory; 21st April 2012 at 05:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboxer View Post
That is basically what I said before. They decide to do an initial release of so many thousand devices. As soon as that many have been updated the release is pulled until the fallout of the release can be evaulated. Normally they use TMO employees for that phase, but most of them have probably moved on to newer devices by now. This happens almost every time with every LG rom release.

LG does it because it doesn't produce the phone's operating system and is restricted from distributing source code essential for independent development so they use end-user consumers for "testing" which is highly unethical. LG's denial that the V21Y_00.kdz update exists is proof that LG is untrustworthy and that its promise to provide ICS for the Optimus 2X is not believable. Why does LG waste $, effort, and time on updating Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), releasing it temporarily, withdrawing it, lying about its existence instead of devoting those resources to developoing ICS for the Optimus 2X and G2X? Why? Because they have no intention of doing that. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

schmit
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Yep.. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most, if not all of the manufacturers are doing this on XDA. When I was in IT, that's what we did.. but customer's knew. We would hit them up via different means, looking for testers. We would target a few hundred at first.. then wait a week, analyze the feedback, systems, etc.. If things went good, we would up it to a thousand or 2.. If things went good, we announced the new product, set a date, and then launched. Prior to the date of launch, we would have the Contact Center start switching customers on every caller they spoke to. B4 launch, we would have 10k+ customers on the system. At any time if something was discovered, we fixed the probs and restarted the testing phase.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Memory View Post
LG does it because it doesn't produce the phone's operating system and is restricted from distributing source code essential for independent development so they use end-user consumers for "testing" which is highly unethical. LG's denial that the V21Y_00.kdz update exists is proof that LG is untrustworthy and that its promise to provide ICS for the Optimus 2X is not believable. Why does LG waste $, effort, and time on updating Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), releasing it temporarily, withdrawing it, lying about its existence instead of devoting those resources to developoing ICS for the Optimus 2X and G2X? Why? Because they have no intention of doing that. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Agreed.. one would think that if they were releasing ICS as promised, the leak would have been ICS. Why put any resources/time into gb if you're releasing ICS? I can only come up with one other logical conclusion.. that the real release/testing phase is the baseband.. with ICS in their back pocket. That's a stretch imho..

enyahs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Honestly, by the time they release (IF they ever did) Ice Cream Sandwich for the g2x, to me it would be almost completely pointless. I have had my g2x since the release date so im already a year into my two year upgrade. It will be months to come before they release it (again IF they did) since they just released a gb update. By that time I would be looking into a new phone. I have an upgrade in February so it will be so long g2x then.
T-Mobile G2X
V21y 2.3.4 Rooted Stock
Home Screen Image: http://i.imgur.com/8HWHf.png

XDA is my new home.

jboxer
Old
Thanks Meter 426

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyahs View Post
Honestly, by the time they release (IF they ever did) Ice Cream Sandwich for the g2x, to me it would be almost completely pointless. I have had my g2x since the release date so im already a year into my two year upgrade. It will be months to come before they release it (again IF they did) since they just released a gb update. By that time I would be looking into a new phone. I have an upgrade in February so it will be so long g2x then.
They probably did the upgrade a maintenance upgrade because many TMO customers having problems with 2.3.3. This comes at little or no cost to TMO. But a release to ICS is a major upgrade and TMO has to be a fee based on every handset sold. Since TMO declared the G2X EOL there is no way they will pay the fee for an upgrade to ICS, and LG is not going to do it for free. So the G2X is, IMO, 99% not getting an official ICS upgrade. Only the P990 versions that have not been EOL'd by their carriers or LG non-branded handsets will be getting the upgrades. Take Canada for example. The carriers there, except for Fido which is using the P990, won't pay for a Gingerbread upgrade so their customers (Videotron and Wind) are stuck on official Froyo still.
Instructions on how to enter unlock code can be found here. http://bit.ly/wyYl5z

The Following User Says Thank You to jboxer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

enyahs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Makes perfect sense.I like how you know what your talking about. and yeah that sounds very true. I am satisfied with the new update from a couple days ago i guess. I dont really have any major complaints about the g2x, and it will definitely remain my backup when i get a new phone in Feb. since it is still a pretty slick and quick device.
T-Mobile G2X
V21y 2.3.4 Rooted Stock
Home Screen Image: http://i.imgur.com/8HWHf.png

XDA is my new home.

jboxer
Old
Thanks Meter 426

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyahs View Post
Makes perfect sense.I like how you know what your talking about. and yeah that sounds very true. I am satisfied with the new update from a couple days ago i guess. I dont really have any major complaints about the g2x, and it will definitely remain my backup when i get a new phone in Feb. since it is still a pretty slick and quick device.
I got another phone that works on 850Mhz 3/4G for a specific carrier here in Thailand. I keep vacillating on whether to sell my G2X or keep it as a backup. Since it only gets 3G on a 2nd tier carrier here it would be hard to sell in Thailand. It would require the effort on selling it on ebay and then shipping it back to the U.S. Always a chance same a-hole tries to screw you with an eBay complaint just to score a free phone. Lots of crap buyers on ebay, more so than crap sellers.

Core Memory
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 730
Quote:
I got another phone that works on 850Mhz 3/4G for a specific carrier here in Thailand. I keep vacillating on whether to sell my G2X or keep it as a backup. Since it only gets 3G on a 2nd tier carrier here it would be hard to sell in Thailand. It would require the effort on selling it on ebay and then shipping it back to the U.S. Always a chance same a-hole tries to screw you with an eBay complaint just to score a free phone. Lots of crap buyers on ebay, more so than crap sellers.
I saw an episode of Judge Judy, which I very rarely watch, which had a U.S. based Ebay seller who sold an unused cell phone locked to a Canadian carrier to someone in the U.S. who couldn't use it on their chosen network and the buyer got their money back but kept the phone. The buyer didn't want to return the phone as "punishment" to the seller for scamming her even though the seller's advert plainly stated that the cell phone was locked to a Canadian carrier. Judge Judy forced the buyer to return the cell phone but the seller didn't get the box, charger, manuals, etc. back.

Another seller scammed the buyer by selling her two pictures of two cell phones for hundreds of dollars each. The buyer thought they were buying cell phones but, buried in the seller's advert, there was a statement that a picture of the cell phone was being bid on. Judge Judy awarded almost three times, $1,000, what the buyer paid. That seller had also scammed other buyers and was under investigation by the Attorney General of the state the buyers are in. Since it was an inter-state transaction, the seller has committed federal crimes such as mail fraud, inter-state fraud, and other federal offenses.

jboxer
Old
Thanks Meter 426

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Memory View Post
I saw an episode of Judge Judy, which I very rarely watch, which had a U.S. based Ebay seller who sold an unused cell phone locked to a Canadian carrier to someone in the U.S. who couldn't use it on their chosen network and the buyer got their money back but kept the phone. The buyer didn't want to return the phone as "punishment" to the seller for scamming her even though the seller's advert plainly stated that the cell phone was locked to a Canadian carrier. Judge Judy forced the buyer to return the cell phone but the seller didn't get the box, charger, manuals, etc. back.

Another seller scammed the buyer by selling her two pictures of two cell phones for hundreds of dollars each. The buyer thought they were buying cell phones but, buried in the seller's advert, there was a statement that a picture of the cell phone was being bid on. Judge Judy awarded almost three times, $1,000, what the buyer paid. That seller had also scammed other buyers and was under investigation by the Attorney General of the state the buyers are in. Since it was an inter-state transaction, the seller has committed federal crimes such as mail fraud, inter-state fraud, and other federal offenses.
I have seen people post the dummy phones on eBay also that stores use as displays. They put dummy in the title but them describe it like it is a real phone. I have seem them go for hundreds of dollars. I am sure the buyers were not happy when they got their non working dummy phones. You can buy the dummy phones from China for about ten to twenty dollars each.

Tags
firmware, lgmobile support tool, update, upgrade, v21y