5,604,443 Members 48,589 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Tip us?

bogdan_wrc
Old
(Last edited by bogdan_wrc; 18th April 2012 at 06:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
so, let me see if i get this right.
lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bioni...4727926&sr=1-4

The Chris
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_wrc View Post
so, let me see if i get this right.
lapdock 100 works fine, and at lapdock for atrix/bionic i need to flip around the connectors?
or is the same flip for any lapdocks?

(can i get a more detailed explanation of how to flip what? )
thank you.

i am thinking of buying this one:
The HDMI and USB connectors need to be flipped. It's easy to do, just flip up the phone dock, locate the two little black circular stickers, remove them and unscrew the screws underneath. Then, the phone dock pops open to reveal the USB and HDMI connectors. Unscrew the bracket holding them in place, flip them over, and put the bracket back on. The HDMI plug is a little bit tricky, but it works. Then, you will have to shave down the left side of where the phone sits so it can fully dock.

Good luck!
Droid 3
HP Touchpad
HP/Palm Pre 2 (in a drawer somewhere)
HTC Thunderbolt (sold)
HTC Supersonic (x2, but one sold)
HTC G1 (sold)
Moto Cliq (sold)
Nook Color
The Following User Says Thank You to The Chris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
so that (from the link) lapdock will work fine when flipping the connectors?
i am hesitating between these two
http://www.amazon.com/AT-Laptop-Dock...011&s=wireless
and
, but i thing the second one is better..

The Chris
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It looks like they are both the same thing, except for the shape of the dock. It's a little plastic piece that pops out and it shapes to the phone (Atrix 4G or Droid Bionic) and the ports might be flipped from one to the other. Go with the cheaper one.
Droid 3
HP Touchpad
HTC Thunderbolt (sold)
HTC G1 (sold)
Moto Cliq (sold)
Nook Color
The Following User Says Thank You to The Chris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
thanks!

at the one from At&T is says this:

(Note: The Motorola Lapdock requires the separately available Motorola ATRIX 4G, and an AT&T 4 GB DataPro with Tethering plan is required to use the Lapdock with your ATRIX 4G.)

is this valide only for use in US, or general valide?
i know that when i used to connect my stock D3 to PC, it opened a webpage from Verizon...and i was thinking not to be b,locked the access from AT&T...just like D3 was with verizon...

TNSandman
Old
(Last edited by TNSandman; 18th April 2012 at 07:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Default Atrix dock for 69.99

Head over to bensoutlet dotcom. they also have the Bionic dock for 20 bucks more.

bogdan_wrc
Old
Thanks Meter 33
there is a sale on motorola store, where lapdock for ATRIX 4G is $99
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...top-Dock-US-EN

will it work on D3? thanks
i mean, the thickness, and all the physical details will allow the d3 to fit the lapdock?

The Chris
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_wrc View Post
there is a sale on motorola store, where lapdock for ATRIX 4G is $99
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...top-Dock-US-EN

will it work on D3? thanks
i mean, the thickness, and all the physical details will allow the d3 to fit the lapdock?
Check out one of my previous posts. You will need to flip the connectors, and the D3 won't lay correctly in the cradle without some "persuasion". Other than that, it will work. It gives you mouse and keyboard with HDMI mirror. Until Lapdock app is ported to D3 or Ubuntu for Android is released, you don't get the extra functionality.
Droid 3
HP Touchpad
HTC Thunderbolt (sold)
HTC G1 (sold)
Moto Cliq (sold)
Nook Color

spunker88
Old
(Last edited by spunker88; 21st April 2012 at 01:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 332
So I finally got this thing modded for my Droid 3. Basically what I did was cut a larger hole where the microHDMI and microUSB connectors are so they could be reversed and pushed up higher. I then plugged them into my Droid 3 while I screwed the bracket down so they were held in the correct positioning. I also have to leave the little cover that snaps on the dock off. But overall it was a success.

I finally got some time to really test the features on this thing. USB host seems to be working pretty well, and USB flash drives are working, see attachment. There is even a notification bar prompt for opening the stock Files program and ejecting. In Root Explorer, etc flash drives were mounted as "/mnt/usbdisk_1.6" or "/mnt/usbdisk_1.7" depending on the port you use. I'm guessing 0-5 are reserved for other internal USB devices like the dock keyboard and mouse.

3 Apps I'd recommend while using this lapdock are Dock Nothingness, Rotation Locker and Null Keyboard. Dock Nothingness will prevent programs from launching when you dock your Droid 3, for me Tunein radio kept popping up. Rotation Locker allows you to force the screen to stay in Landscape as some apps will make it go back to portrait without it. Null Keyboard is a keyboard that is nothing. Set it as your default and you'll get no keyboard popping up, but you'll have to remember to switch it back afterwards, or you could try Dock Keyboard Switcher.

If you hear a crackling noise for a split second when you dock, don't freak out. Its just the audio amplifier on the dock starting up. Also if the keyboard and mouse don't want to work, shut the lid and wait a few seconds, then reopen it and it should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usbstorage.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1016401  
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

phonephoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Is ICS going to cause a problem when connecting to the dock?

I can't play my music through my car radio with ICS so would I need to go back to GB?

Tags
lapdock