Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 39,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Creating your own Wallpapers for the Motorola Photon

Tip us?

Weapon X 20
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Creating your own Wallpapers for the Motorola Photon

I know that I have seen this forum out here before but I cannot find it. I am trying to use different pictures I have found online for my personal wallpaper. But when I use them they are either very close or they are not the entire picture. I know you have to resize them to fit the screen. I am using Adobe Photoshop to change the image size but I am having trouble coming up with the proper dimensions. Any ideas?????????????????

CCallahan
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X 20 View Post
I know that I have seen this forum out here before but I cannot find it. I am trying to use different pictures I have found online for my personal wallpaper. But when I use them they are either very close or they are not the entire picture. I know you have to resize them to fit the screen. I am using Adobe Photoshop to change the image size but I am having trouble coming up with the proper dimensions. Any ideas?????????????????
If you want just one screen size picture than mine are 540x960.

The stock wallpaper that comes on the Photon is 1080x960 for scrolling.
CURRENT DEVICES
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 8
HTC Flyer
Asus Eee Pad Transformer

---------------------------------------------------
On Hiatus
The Following User Says Thank You to CCallahan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pgriffinsc
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Dodol,in the market.

sent from my Motorola Sunfire
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgriffinsc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weapon X 20
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCallahan View Post
If you want just one screen size picture than mine are 540x960.

The stock wallpaper that comes on the Photon is 1080x960 for scrolling.
I tried both of those resolutions and when I try to select the image it may let me expand it to the full image but it is zoomed in and the picture is sometimes blurry. Any other suggestions?

CCallahan
Old
(Last edited by CCallahan; 13th April 2012 at 07:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 592
Quote:
I tried both of those resolutions and when I try to select the image it may let me expand it to the full image but it is zoomed in and the picture is sometimes blurry. Any other suggestions?
You mentioned using PS to create the wallpaper. Are you taking pics off the internet and trying to resize them or creating new ones from scratch? What process in PS are you using to resize? You probably already know this since you are familiar with PS but enlarging a smaller photo lowers the dpi of the image which is why I am curious about the process used.

If an image is the correct size and good resolution than it should look good on the screen. Just yank any wallpaper from your phone that comes stock and check the specifics on it and try to maintain that in your other pics.

Or.....if you want post the picture you are trying to use and we can try and resize to see if our results are any better.
CURRENT DEVICES
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 8
HTC Flyer
Asus Eee Pad Transformer

---------------------------------------------------
On Hiatus
The Following User Says Thank You to CCallahan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kbrn
Old
Thanks Meter 86
the right size is 1080x960 so using adobe photoshop and the croping tools
should do the trick. just use these settings and crop the image you want (for best results make sure the original image is bigger than 1080x960 or you will get a crappy picture)

Sprint>>Samsung Moment>>htc EVO Shift 4g>>Motorola Photon>>htc EVO 4G LTE>>Samsung Galaxy Note 2<< Verizon>>htc One M8
The Following User Says Thank You to kbrn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weapon X 20
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrn View Post
the right size is 1080x960 so using adobe photoshop and the croping tools
should do the trick. just use these settings and crop the image you want (for best results make sure the original image is bigger than 1080x960 or you will get a crappy picture)

How can I change the height and width to that? I try to do it and it says that exceeds the max. Thanks for the help in advance!

kbrn
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
How can I change the height and width to that? I try to do it and it says that exceeds the max. Thanks for the help in advance!
just make sure you're using PX (pixels) not inches or cm

Sprint>>Samsung Moment>>htc EVO Shift 4g>>Motorola Photon>>htc EVO 4G LTE>>Samsung Galaxy Note 2<< Verizon>>htc One M8
The Following User Says Thank You to kbrn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 183
If the picture is 960 pixels high and wasn't resized upward from a lower resolution, it should be fine. It should look at least as good as it does on the computer.

540x960 is the Photon's/Electrify's actual resolution (qHD) but 1080 = 540*2, *2 being the width of your typical Android wallpaper, twice the width so the picture can shift as you change home screens. (Personally, I prefer to use 540x960 images and turn off shifting. If your launcher supports this -- GO does -- your wallpaper crop tool will have the proper aspect ratio. If it doesn't, it will try to take a piece with the aspect ratio of 1080x960 out of your 540x960 image.)

I resize wallpapers to 540x960 for use on my Electrify. I posted some in the wallpapers topic; if you want some nice ones (note that they do not support homescreen shifting) have a look.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / Stock/rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Reality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weapon X 20
Old
(Last edited by Weapon X 20; 21st April 2012 at 11:13 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried resizing the images to 1080X960 and they are still zoomed in and not how I wanted them exactly. Here are some of the images. Wolverine fan as you can tell lol.

This is what my screen looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1017748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1017749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolverine 3.jpg