[REF] All in one AOKP/CM9 reference
In response to the numerous repeated questions, here is an attempt to consolidate all info. Please lemme know of errors and omissions. This has been brought to you by Search™, something that you should have been doing!
1) Where to get the ROM from?
Unofficial CM9 ROM (courtesy Aerovan): http://goo.im/devs/aeroevan/cm9/
2) Where is the Gapps? Is the gapps same for all? Oh noes, no gapps!?
Yes gapps is same for all devices. It is at the bottom of the list of all devices. Usually gapps is the same flashable zip as it was for the last build. So, you should be okay to flash the old stuff.
3) How to flash the ROM?
4) Oh. M. G! Camera doesn't work!
- Put the aokp_vivow-build-xx.zip (for aokp) or update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-vivow-UNOFFICIAL-2012-xx-xx-signed.zip (for CM9 via aerovan) and gapps zip in root of SD card.
- Boot into Recovery by turning off phone, then holding Power+Vol down. Then choose recovery in Bootloader (wait for sometime while it scans for some zips like PG32IMG etc. and then choose recovery)
- Nandroid (optional but recommended).
- Wipe the big 3 (Data, cache and Dalvik).
- Flash the ROM.
- Flash the gapps.
Read THIS. >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=774
5) Oh. M. G! MMS is not working!
Read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=167
Or this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...n#post24948522
Or this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=740
Or this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=517
6) Oh. M. G! Bluetooth is NOT working!!
Well, many say it is working. But some say it is not working. Apparently it is fixed in the newer builds and I don't think there is a fix posted on the AOKP thread. Sorry, no donut for you!
7) Oh. M. G! Music player is missing! This is outrageous/a monstrosity!
Yes, you are absolutely right! There is no music player in AOKP. [is there one in CM9?]. Take your blankey, go to a corner and weep! Else, deal with it and download your favorite music player from Google Play. (I mostly delete the built in music player unless it is Google Play Music. So, it saves me time this way. I hope you feel that way too!)
8) Oh. M. G! My phone is possessed! All characters on the launcher are distorted!
Calm down, C bear! Just relaunch the launcher (aka force stop and restart OR if you launcher supports it (most 3rd party launchers do), restart launcher!
9) Oh. M. G! My GPS is acting weird/is erratic/taking a long time to lock!
Try the fix over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1447598
Tested to work on AOKP ICS by forum members. Probably works with CM9, if you have the same problem on CM9 as well.
10) Oh. M. G! While roaming, my 3G is SLOOO-..
If this is you, then you're in luck as Truckin'Ain't4Sissies wrote a scintillating and very useful guide here, on this thread!
1) Where can I haz more KERNALS/Aero's v9 Kernall/Tiamat's Kernalll!!!?
First of all, it is "kerne
l", not kernal! Secondly, google that, dawg... [Read: Use discretion and Google. I am not responsible for screw ups.]
2) What to DO with this new Kernalz!?
- Aero Kernel: http://goo.im/devs/aeroevan/kernel/vivow
Download the kernel (aeroevan_ICSv9-bfs.zip), obviously, and flash in recovery after an optional nandroid. Personally I like this kernel as it cures the buzzing sound I get when I make a call!
- Tiamat's kernel: http://tiamat-dev.com/vivow/
I haven't used this kernel and I don't know if it is up to date. Btw, apparently Tiamat's kernel can underclock to 128 MHz
!!!!!! CAUTION: UNDERVOLTING AND OVERCLOCKING MAY EFF UP YOUR PHONE !!!!!!
Go to ROM Control>Performance. You can tweak the CPU governor and overclock. This is NOT an app, it is a setting. You can also install IncrediControl (link below) to undervolt!
Learn how to set stuff and tweak stuff before you actually attempt it. Google it. NEVER set things to set at boot while testing. After sufficient testing, if things work fine, THEN make it set at boot.
3) Can you google Info for OCing for me?
>> Overclocking 101
>> Android CPU governors explained
>> Undervolting Explained
Use the above links as reference. They are not tailored for this particular device. Any specifics as to acceptable limits of overclocking/undervolting need not apply to the Dinc2. I am not responsible for screw ups, and neither are the OPs of those threads/wikis.
4) What app can I use to OC/undervolt?
You can use ROM controls to under/overclock. Most apps, however, fail to recognize our kernel's undervolting capabilities. Use an app tailor made for this device, aka IncrediControl
(kudos to a fellow xda'er Chad0989, dunno if he uses the same alias here). This app can also OC. Use only one app/setting on your phone to OC/undervolt. DON'T set OC in both ROM controls and Incredicontrol. It is wasteful, potentially dangerous, but I don't know what will happen to the phone. :/
1. Music FX mod:
Installs beats and gives you SRS> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1599467
Follow available instructions
2. Remap Search button to Recent Apps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1610860
ALWAYS NANDROID. IT IS A SAFETY NET.
<<< @ >>>
Thank me, if my post helped you, made you smile, laugh, LOL or ROFL!!!
Droid X2: Ditched!, Droid Inc2: SOLD, Droid Incredible 4G LTE: CM11.2 KitKat 4.4.2, TFP: Unlocked and on Stock JB 4.1.1 -> heaven, NOT SOLD!, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Stock 4.4.2, iPod Touch 4g: Stock iOS 6 (iOS 6 bad, my $0.02)