[Q] AT&T $50 Prepaid Unlimited - Smartphone Data Working Included??

OP johnsoto85

8th November 2011, 04:33 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 2

48 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinated chris

ok a few things. First to answer OP's question is yes, it is possible with any unlocked phone. problem is that AT&T has certain IMEI numbers that are recognized as smart phone IMEI's. Like my friend had an HD2 that he brought to AT&T and they recognized it and immediately changed his data plan to a smartphone data plan. Although there are other people with smartphones who have the AT&T system tricked because the system doesnt know what their IMEI number is for.

So yes, it is possible. And yes, as for the NON-Smartphone $50 unlimited talk, txt, and data plan, yes it does exist. AT&T just started it recently and no its not for just international. Its directed towards NON-Smartphones. But again, if they cant recognize your smartphone IMEI, then they wont know.

As for the $50 sim card, no there's no such thing as a $50 sim card and no, its not "just for international phones" haha. Sim cards are $5.95 and if a store tells you anything higher, then call AT&T sales. Because they are ALWAYS $5.95 over the phone.

BOOM! glad to help haha

Don't mean to grave-dig the post but when I went to an AT&T store for new SIM cards (activated one through a go-phone and didn't know that it locked the SIM to the phone), I wasn't charged anything for them, the store rep gave them to me for free.

That aside, I've been toying with this concept myself. I've been looking everywhere for good candidates for a smartphone that ATT doesn't sell and that is compatible with their HSPA network.

I have a couple unlocked T-Mobile phones that the data works on, but only at EDGE speeds because they don't have the proper frequencies to support ATT 3/3.5/4G.

Does anyone have any new suggestions?

EDIT: So far I've found that the HTC Wildfire S A510a, and the HTC Sensation Z710a are both compatible with ATT's HSDPA 850 and GSM 850 bands and may be good candidates. I already have a T-Mobile HTC Sensation Z710e and really don't want to buy another phone that's practically the same .
25th November 2011, 05:42 AM   |  #12  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 221

1,620 posts
More
I'm digging this up because I need answers before jumping ship.

Does AT&T still make smartphone users pay extra for data? I'm thinking of moving from Boost mobile to AT&T with an LG Fathom...

Either AT&T or metroPCS, if AT&T does still charge smartphone users for data then most likely it'll be over to metroPCS I go then.
25th November 2011, 06:53 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 4

17 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo

I'm digging this up because I need answers before jumping ship.

Does AT&T still make smartphone users pay extra for data? I'm thinking of moving from Boost mobile to AT&T with an LG Fathom...

Either AT&T or metroPCS, if AT&T does still charge smartphone users for data then most likely it'll be over to metroPCS I go then.

Like with a plan? Yes.
25th November 2011, 07:08 AM   |  #14  
Flag Atlanta

1,620 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheGeek3

Like with a plan? Yes.

Well what I meant was are Smartphones still supposedly uneligilble for the prepaid 50 a month unlimited plan, do they still have to pay extra for data?

If yes, how much extra?
25th November 2011, 08:16 AM   |  #15  
Flag Oakland, CA
Thanks Meter: 58

812 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo

Well what I meant was are Smartphones still supposedly uneligilble for the prepaid 50 a month unlimited plan, do they still have to pay extra for data?

If yes, how much extra?

Yes, they have to pay extra. Not all smartphones will be in their database, so if you have a European phone with the appropriate HSPA bands it could potentially trick the system into believing you have a featurephone.

As for how much extra, it's something ridiculous like 30 bucks or so.
25th November 2011, 08:25 AM   |  #16  
Flag Atlanta

1,620 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic

Yes, they have to pay extra. Not all smartphones will be in their database, so if you have a European phone with the appropriate HSPA bands it could potentially trick the system into believing you have a featurephone.

As for how much extra, it's something ridiculous like 30 bucks or so.

Mines a Verizon LG Fathom...

Is T-Mobile just as ridiculous too? I saw they have a prepaid 50 a month unlimited plan... What jerked me back away from that was 100Mb unthrottled then every bit over that is "managed" unless ya pay for the highspeed unlimited 4g data.
25th November 2011, 06:31 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 28

454 posts
More
How do you expect a non-gsm phone to work on a gsm network?
25th November 2011, 07:19 PM   |  #18  
Flag Atlanta

1,620 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonent

How do you expect a non-gsm phone to work on a gsm network?

Just because it came from a cdma carrier doesn't mean it's a non-gsm phone... It's a world phone, meaning both cdma and gsm.
Last edited by n1nj4Lo; 25th November 2011 at 09:06 PM.
25th November 2011, 09:06 PM   |  #19  
Flag Atlanta

1,620 posts
More
Called up t-mobile and it sounds like they'd be my (our) best bet, they don't charge ya anything additional if it's a smartphone for data... So it really is flat-out 50 bucks unlimited everything, no limitations, no specification handsets required or anything.
21st April 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anyone tried this recently?

Will probably give this a go in a couple of months using the HTC Sensation z710a.

Pretty harsh not getting any "smartphone data" included on a $50 plan. Would be heading straight to T-mobile if my z710a was AWS compatible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, data, prepaid, smart phone
Previous Thread Next Thread