5,815,022 Members 38,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE]HipKat’s Ultimate Guide To Everything Evo 4G.

Tip us?

HipKat
Old
(Last edited by HipKat; 20th April 2012 at 11:32 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1,835

DONATE TO ME
Are you talking about this guide, or the MIUI ICS guide I wrote:

Step 1. This is a MIUI ROM, which means GPS could be an issue, so the first thing I do is make a nandroid of my current Setup, then I restore my stock/rooted ROM.

Step 2. I update Profle and PRL, then I do the Sense GPS Fix.

You must be in a Sense ROM for this
Open Maps; get a lock on your position.
Open GPS Status & Tool Box, get a lock on your Sats and then hit Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State>Reset.
Open Dialer and dial ##GPSCLRX#
In the popup that asks for your password, enter your MSL, (You'll need MSL Reader from the market) then reboot.
When the phone is rebooted, Open Maps, get a lock; Open GPS Status, hit Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State>Download. Once you are locked onto your Sats, power down, then Reboot to Recovery.

Of course, I only use Amon Ra and in Recovery, I wipe everything, completely; Factory Reset., then each option underneat that, except SD Card:
Then I run Factory Reset again, then Cache and Dalvik Cache and Data again, jsut to make sure it's all clear.

Go to Flash, and Flash the Rom. Once it's done, go right back to flash and flash DT A2SD, the nI boot to System and once booted, I let it sit for a good 10 minutes, so everythign get's booted up and settled in.

At this point, I open LBE manager (Superuser) and set all my permissions to on and accept all.
I open Maps, get a lock, open GPS Status, and I already know I'll get a lock on my sats. Then I hit menu and update GPS Data.
Next is Connectbot, and I move my Dalvik Cache to my SD Card. Here's the commands

su
a2sd check
a2sd cachesd

The phone will reboot and again, I just let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Once I wake it up, I set my preferences, display, sounds, accounts, etc. MIUI ICS hasd a TON of new settings and one is the Status Bar Options. Hit Customize Statas Bar Notification and make sure Hide Notification is turned off. This will allow notifications to show up.

Once I'm done, I reboot to recovery, wipe Cache and Dalvik and Flash my Kernel.
The BEST kernel to use right now is Mason v0.14 SBC No FSO. I also Flash Vipermod.
That's it. If you use a different kernel and you have problems, this is the first place to look.

Upon reboot, I let the phone settle, then I open Titanium backup and restore my apps/Data. Now, I have had a lot of problems in the past with TB Freezing up when U try to restore all 117 apps I have in one session, so I do it in 3 now. I alphabetize the apps and then go A-H, I-P, Q-Z

Once finished, I open Rom Toolbox and go to Autostart Manager and make sure all the apps I DON'T need to be runnign at boot are toggled off. Then I set Car O Dope Tweaks. I'm one of the believers that Car O Dope is for AOSP, V6 is for Sense. I have yet to give Smurfs tweaks a run, but I plan to, soon.

I reboot and run Vipermod -50 in Connectbot, and then setup my desktop folders, etc. Then I g othrough any apps I need to set preferences for, Make sure VVM is working and that is basically it. Took some extra time, but I shake my head at the problems people are having that are almost alwasy attributed to shortcutting the process.

Almost all of the links and files anyone needs are on the guide in my signature

Bugs & Fixes.

• USB Connect - The two ways to fix this are with the app, USB Mass Storage in the market or the FTP Function is File Explorer.
• Camera only takes 3MP pics - D/L Camera ICS from the market and you'll get up to 8MP with Video Recording
• Theme Manager - There are very few themes for MIUI ICS. I understand that a new Theme Manager should be coming soon, according to the rumors.
• Music Player/Theme Sounds not seeing music folder - D/L Rescan Media form the market. Problem solved.
• Slow 3G/Data Speeds and Market Downloads. For me, after about a day, this fixed itself

Known Issues
No WIMAX
No HWA, yet
No Front Facing Camera
No Video Recorder
Samsung Galaxy S4 • SCH-R970
Android 4.4.2
ROM • Hyperdrive KK RLS18.1
KERNEL • Alucard-V2.1a TW
GAPPS • N/A
RADIO • R970TYUFNF6
RECOVERY • Philz Touch 5.06.6

My Life Is Committed To Jesus!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HipKat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

projektidiot
Old
Thanks Meter 5
wow, thanks a lot. I'll give follow through all that and see if it works. I was referring to this guide, I wasn't aware you had a separate MIUI ICS guide. I'll have to check that out too.

HipKat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,835

DONATE TO ME
It's on the next page of the general section here. It didn't get far lol
Android 4.4.2
GAPPS • N/A
RADIO • R970TYUFNF6

sweatmanpb
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Awsome

Excellent read! Really helped in getting started.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweatmanpb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Circaflex
Old
Thanks Meter 617
i notice in cars thread on vp that his carodope tweak number differ from yours, which should i use on ics?

HipKat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,835

DONATE TO ME
He may have updated his since the last time I was on there. Use his, for sure and I'll see if I need to update mine
Android 4.4.2
GAPPS • N/A
RADIO • R970TYUFNF6

Captain 0bvious
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
Are you talking about this guide, or the MIUI ICS guide I wrote:

Step 1. This is a MIUI ROM, which means GPS could be an issue, so the first thing I do is make a nandroid of my current Setup, then I restore my stock/rooted ROM.

Step 2. I update Profle and PRL, then I do the Sense GPS Fix.

You must be in a Sense ROM for this
Open Maps; get a lock on your position.
Open GPS Status & Tool Box, get a lock on your Sats and then hit Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State>Reset.
Open Dialer and dial ##GPSCLRX#
In the popup that asks for your password, enter your MSL, (You'll need MSL Reader from the market) then reboot.
When the phone is rebooted, Open Maps, get a lock; Open GPS Status, hit Menu>Tools>Manage A-GPS State>Download. Once you are locked onto your Sats, power down, then Reboot to Recovery.

Of course, I only use Amon Ra and in Recovery, I wipe everything, completely; Factory Reset., then each option underneat that, except SD Card:
Then I run Factory Reset again, then Cache and Dalvik Cache and Data again, jsut to make sure it's all clear.

Go to Flash, and Flash the Rom. Once it's done, go right back to flash and flash DT A2SD, the nI boot to System and once booted, I let it sit for a good 10 minutes, so everythign get's booted up and settled in.

At this point, I open LBE manager (Superuser) and set all my permissions to on and accept all.
I open Maps, get a lock, open GPS Status, and I already know I'll get a lock on my sats. Then I hit menu and update GPS Data.
Next is Connectbot, and I move my Dalvik Cache to my SD Card. Here's the commands

su
a2sd check
a2sd cachesd

The phone will reboot and again, I just let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Once I wake it up, I set my preferences, display, sounds, accounts, etc. MIUI ICS hasd a TON of new settings and one is the Status Bar Options. Hit Customize Statas Bar Notification and make sure Hide Notification is turned off. This will allow notifications to show up.

Once I'm done, I reboot to recovery, wipe Cache and Dalvik and Flash my Kernel.
The BEST kernel to use right now is Mason v0.14 SBC No FSO. I also Flash Vipermod.
That's it. If you use a different kernel and you have problems, this is the first place to look.

Upon reboot, I let the phone settle, then I open Titanium backup and restore my apps/Data. Now, I have had a lot of problems in the past with TB Freezing up when U try to restore all 117 apps I have in one session, so I do it in 3 now. I alphabetize the apps and then go A-H, I-P, Q-Z

Once finished, I open Rom Toolbox and go to Autostart Manager and make sure all the apps I DON'T need to be runnign at boot are toggled off. Then I set Car O Dope Tweaks. I'm one of the believers that Car O Dope is for AOSP, V6 is for Sense. I have yet to give Smurfs tweaks a run, but I plan to, soon.

I reboot and run Vipermod -50 in Connectbot, and then setup my desktop folders, etc. Then I g othrough any apps I need to set preferences for, Make sure VVM is working and that is basically it. Took some extra time, but I shake my head at the problems people are having that are almost alwasy attributed to shortcutting the process.

Almost all of the links and files anyone needs are on the guide in my signature

Bugs & Fixes.

• USB Connect - The two ways to fix this are with the app, USB Mass Storage in the market or the FTP Function is File Explorer.
• Camera only takes 3MP pics - D/L Camera ICS from the market and you'll get up to 8MP with Video Recording
• Theme Manager - There are very few themes for MIUI ICS. I understand that a new Theme Manager should be coming soon, according to the rumors.
• Music Player/Theme Sounds not seeing music folder - D/L Rescan Media form the market. Problem solved.
• Slow 3G/Data Speeds and Market Downloads. For me, after about a day, this fixed itself

Known Issues
No WIMAX
No HWA, yet
No Front Facing Camera
No Video Recorder
This is the longest post I have ever seen lol, but thanks for all the info. You put a lot into that.

bairds1
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipKat View Post
Hey Hipkat, you've got me curious about the Autostart manager. I see 2 options: events and applications. Are you disabling items you don't want booting up under both of those options (events or applications)?

Mind providing an example? Sounds like a really good thing to do to free up some resources that are being hogged by some unneeded apps. I'm thinking the bluetooth and music items for myself as I never use them.

Thanks!
Thanks!
Sprint HTC EVO (HW:0003)
Current ROM: Deck's 1.3d w/ COD's Tweaks!
Kernel: LEE!! Tiamat 3.3.7 on smartass gov
If on Sense, it has to be Fresh 4.3.3 (link)
Excellent guides by the experts for tweaks/tips:
Car-o-dope tweaks for AOSP & Sense(link)
Crossrocker's AOSP tweaks (link)
Awesome Sense Guide/tweaks (link)
Extreme, but the best wiping method to prevent issues by HipKat (link)

HipKat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,835

DONATE TO ME
Actually, that's a great question. I was looking at that again for now, just Apps, but like I hate that FB won't stay dead, and I see it in Events, but I'm not sure how to go about killing it, since the entries don't seem to have much to do with startup.

I was thinking about writing the Dev and see what he says
Android 4.4.2
GAPPS • N/A
RADIO • R970TYUFNF6

yovani24
Old
Thanks Meter 0