Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 39,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Prime won't recognise charger?

Tip us?

deadlocked007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Default Prime won't recognise charger?

It charges extremely slow and does not show that it is charging. Also I don't think my dock charges at all.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

deadlocked007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Bump...

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

superhyper
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Are you using the stock charging adapter and cable? I get the same experience if I plug the cable into a USB 2.0 AC adapter. It does charge, but it does so very slowly and does not display the charging indicator. The dock will not charge at all.

deadlocked007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
Are you using the stock charging adapter and cable? I get the same experience if I plug the cable into a USB 2.0 AC adapter. It does charge, but it does so very slowly and does not display the charging indicator. The dock will not charge at all.
Yeah im using the stock one. Bleh my dock won't charge at all...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

superhyper
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hopefully someone else here has more insight than I do, but the best I can think of is that for some reason your cable isn't making all the connections inside the adapter. Since the adapter is USB 3 is has two sets of connectors, and if you only make contact with the first set it will operate in USB 2 mode. Unfortunately the best I can recommend is 1) Try plugging the adapter itself into a different socket or 2) Replace the cable and see if that helps.

TechAnimal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I had the same problem and the cable is probably damaged. My prime would also trickle charge and the dock not at all. Tried all the bent pins and freezer tricks with no luck. I did some testing after i got my new charger and realised it was the cable that was damaged. Just buy a new cable

Vidda77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Since I buy Transformer Prime (USA version, but using on Spain with an AC adapter), when I plug charger to Prime, it vibrates a moment and screen switches on about one or two seconds showing nvidia logo and battery image. Then screen switches off, although Prime continues charging and power button LED's is on.

I think that this was normal, but reading you now I starting to feel that I wasn't right... I don't think there are differences between USA and Europe versions, but AC adapter. Maybe I am forgetting something? I have cable or AC adaptar issues?

Regards!

pennhaven
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Agree that it may be a bad cable. I had the same issue using a spare cable (not ASUS OEM) that I bought on Amazon. I took a good look at the USB connector and found that the center pin was bent back so it couldn't make contact. Once I straightened the pin it charged fine.

sentrme
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlocked007 View Post
It charges extremely slow and does not show that it is charging. Also I don't think my dock charges at all.
These are my Solutions and what I Dug Up

When I first got my TFP I was having trouble charging with the Wall AC adapter. I tried multipul plugs in my house, sometimes 1 plug would work and my TFP would show it was charging. then if I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in it woudnt work. I researched for a long time thinking it was something wrong with the Cable, then Android build, finally narrowed it down to combination of Wall adapter and Voltage needed by TFP to initiate the Fast Charge state. Everything below is from reading other posts and trial and error with plugging and unplugging the wall adapter and USB cable. I did NOT use a Multimeter personally observe the voltage states. So if someone has correct me if my research is incorrect.

Solution #1: I unplugged the USB plug from the AC adapter and lightly scratched the pins with a knife or tweasers. I found out that in order for the Transformer Prime (TFP) to display the charging icon on the screen, the TFP has to recieve 12+ volts from the wall adapter to initiate (Fast Charge = 12v - 15v). Any time that the wall adapter was used to charge and the Charging icon does not appear most likely your TFP is only getting 5v (Slow Charge), same as connecting TFP to PC with USB cable ( Only if your PC recognizes the TFP when plugged in ).

Solution #2: Anytime Im not charging my TFP or TFP + dock, I have to leave the AC adapter disconnected from power. Until I wanted to charge my TFP or dock. From what I have found out is the Thermal Cut-Off that is built into the AC wall adapter is easily activated. When it is activated it will only allow an output of 5v. I recieved my Dock after I learned about the Thermal Cut-Off issue, but since then I try and keep my Dock Charged so when I plug my TFP into the Dock my TFP will charge.

cullenmq1
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentrme View Post
These are my Solutions and what I Dug Up

When I first got my TFP I was having trouble charging with the Wall AC adapter. I tried multipul plugs in my house, sometimes 1 plug would work and my TFP would show it was charging. then if I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in it woudnt work. I researched for a long time thinking it was something wrong with the Cable, then Android build, finally narrowed it down to combination of Wall adapter and Voltage needed by TFP to initiate the Fast Charge state. Everything below is from reading other posts and trial and error with plugging and unplugging the wall adapter and USB cable. I did NOT use a Multimeter personally observe the voltage states. So if someone has correct me if my research is incorrect.

Solution #1: I unplugged the USB plug from the AC adapter and lightly scratched the pins with a knife or tweasers. I found out that in order for the Transformer Prime (TFP) to display the charging icon on the screen, the TFP has to recieve 12+ volts from the wall adapter to initiate (Fast Charge = 12v - 15v). Any time that the wall adapter was used to charge and the Charging icon does not appear most likely your TFP is only getting 5v (Slow Charge), same as connecting TFP to PC with USB cable ( Only if your PC recognizes the TFP when plugged in ).

Solution #2: Anytime Im not charging my TFP or TFP + dock, I have to leave the AC adapter disconnected from power. Until I wanted to charge my TFP or dock. From what I have found out is the Thermal Cut-Off that is built into the AC wall adapter is easily activated. When it is activated it will only allow an output of 5v. I recieved my Dock after I learned about the Thermal Cut-Off issue, but since then I try and keep my Dock Charged so when I plug my TFP into the Dock my TFP will charge.
For solution 2, I think I have that one, is there any known fix?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium