Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,981 Members 39,390 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T $50 Prepaid Unlimited - Smartphone Data Working Included??

Tip us?

DJSYNTHVIRUS
Old
Thanks Meter 13
AFAIK as long as its a euro phone thats not in the AT&T database you could get away with that phone. You most likely will have to change an apn or some other trickery but ive seen it work

eskay89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's one of the Oceania models, the Sensation z710a with the UMTS 850/1900/2100 bands. AFAIK this version was never sold officially in the US so they may not have the IMEI's loaded.

Eh guess I'll just have to wait and see.

iregret
Old
Thanks Meter 10
i tried this plan with my nokia e72 (international), and 3g actually works. i dont know why they have to exclude the data for smart phones.

bunty83
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default little secret

me and my friend using smartphone on at&t prepaid $50 service.

here is little secret . company cannot found about imei number.

buy refurbished smartphone phone from third party(like newegg,tigerdirect or ebay)
at&t never has refurbished imei in there data. i buy at&t refurbished unlock phone and call them for unlock code for fun(its already unlock). she told me its not in there system. whenever i call with oem att phone . they always know what kind phone is it.

best buy to see if att recognize your phone. put att sim in your phone and check your att account online. if it show what kind phone in your account you using then att know about that .

deathnotice01
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3,200

DONATE TO ME
this is not a problem for AT&T trust me, . . .
LG G3 (D855) - Main
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005)
Moto X Dev Edition (XT1053)
Google Nexus 5 (D820)

Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (I9505/JFLTEXX)
iPhone 5c
iPhone 4s (MD234LL/A)
iPad 2
Nexus 7 2013 (RAZOR-FLO)
Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-5360)

Acapella75
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathnotice01 View Post
this is not a problem for AT&T trust me, . . .
Can they identify international imei numbers?

eskay89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I be in the US in a few days so will be able to give this a go and let you know results.

From what I have gathered combined with assumption/educated guess:

AT&T obviously will have all of the IMEI numbers for the phones they stock/have stocked.

They could (if it's possible) also have the IMEI's of other providers GSM stock in the US.

But I highly doubt they would have IMEI's of handsets that they do not/have not stocked, that would take A LOT of work.

During the online registration of GoPhone SIM cards, AT&T asks for the IMEI of the phone you want to use. Apparently you can just type 111111111111111 (1 x 15) and it will accept it.

Again all just theory, but I think the general consensus is that if it's not a phone that AT&T sell/sold, meaning they don't have the IMEI, that you will get away with it.

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 262
I'm guessing that IMEI numbers have ranges like MAC addresses. Maybe that's one way they could tell what kind of phone you have.

Sent from my XT862 using XDA

InfantryMarc
Old
Thanks Meter 45
when i activated my go phone account for my galaxy s2 i777, i told them i wanted the $50 unlimited plan with the data. they explained to me that since my phone is a "4g" phone they do not cover a data plan for it. that as far as they know they have no foreseeable timeline to roll one out. which makes it to where i cant even send mms messages. and this was about 2 months ago when i called. and have tried every month since activating my card to get the data to work. ive even spent 2+ hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why i cant send a picture.

but as long as ur phone isnt considered a 4g phone, the data plan would work for ur device. hope that helps some.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
]Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535
Jelly 'Beans' Rom

Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 (sold)
Android 4.2.1
Rom: Task650's AOKP JellyBean

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate SGH- i897 (sold)
Android 4.1.1
Rom: Baked Captivate Blackbean-3
Build JR003L

Infantry Lead The Way

donsh00tmesanta
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 128
Could I get this on pre2?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Tags
at&t, data, prepaid, smart phone