Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

[Q] Bluetooth Tethering

OP rjpearce

20th April 2012, 01:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
Hi folks,

Has anyone had much luck with tethering an Internet connection using bluetooth (not wifi)

I've tried tethering from my HTC Desire HD (ICS 4.0.4) to my Archos 101 G9 (ICS 4.0.4), after pairing I can get the tablet to connect and use the Internet connection, but after a minute the bluetooth connection drops out.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

I've found a few threads on the Asus Transformer section with a very similar issue but they seems to have been fixed by a recent firmware update from Asus.
21st April 2012, 09:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167

838 posts
Donate to Me
More
no tethering by BT with ICS
use the wifi
21st April 2012, 10:27 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 36

139 posts
I've gotten it to work using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and pdanet tablet on the g9
21st April 2012, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyguy007

I've gotten it to work using foxfi on my galaxy nexus and pdanet tablet on the g9

I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

Sent from my X10i using M&M's MIUI v2.0 + tapatalk :D
22nd April 2012, 12:54 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 20

64 posts
More
I have a 101 G9 Turbo 8GB version I bought off Sellout.Woot back in March. I installed a rom off XDA but I don't remember which one! It was one of the 3.2.80 versions though. After some trial and error I have been able to tether my tablet to my Nokia E71 through bluetooth DUN using the command line. It isn't the easiest to do but its usable.
22nd April 2012, 01:26 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
it works good when tethering from Asus transformer to my archos g9 101 but the speed isnt the best.
23rd April 2012, 01:14 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoc1975

I got it to work once using pdanet tablet and foxfi. I can't get it to work anymore though.

At OP make sure you have tun.ko installed on your tablet so Bluetooth tether may work.

When you got it working were you using Gingerbread or ICS?

Thanks
-Richard
23rd April 2012, 05:44 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpearce

When you got it working were you using Gingerbread or ICS?

Thanks
-Richard

Ics, I got it working about 2 weeks ago. But not had any luck since then.

27th June 2012, 04:13 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 5

59 posts
Thumbs up Works for me!
It works outstandingly for me:
Phone: Verizon XV6900 (aka HTC Touch - CDMA EVDO rev A, no wifi), WinMo 6.1 running Internet Sharing utility.

Archos 80, "Staples Special" (1 Ghz/512 MB RAM/7 GB storage - listed as 4GB, go figure), ICS, FW 4.0.6

How I did it:
1. BT pair the phone and tablet (duh ;)
2. Make sure they are connected - tap the phone device name in the Android BT settings list so it shows connected
3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).

I streamed a TunedIn radio stream for several hours this way at a hotel recently (good thing I have the "unlimited" data plan grandfathered, but looks like I only used about 20MB, picking 40Kbps stream).

YMMV
Last edited by rokkywoof; 27th June 2012 at 04:19 AM.
28th June 2012, 06:27 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 26

91 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkywoof

It works outstandingly for me:

3. Start ICS ("Internet Connection Sharing" - they had that acronym long before any Google Android existed ;) on the WinMo phone, tap its "Connect" soft key.
4. Android settings: "More.../Tethering & portable hotspot/Bluetooth tethering" check marked (yeah, I thought that meant the Archos would share its connection - dunno about that, but it is working in the opposite direction for me - go figure).

It does work because the two bluetooth device are connected and if the second support being used as a modem...it will default into that Internet Sharing profile.

I don't think your step 3 & 4 is necessery. I've used Archos 80 with Nokia C3 and other Android Tablets. It seems to more work with Bluetooth 3.0 devices.

Instead of 3 & 4 above ...you should go to Bluetooth, find the paired and connected device and click on the Setting icon....you will see a check box there which checked by default "Use this to connect to the internet"

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bluetooth, ics, tethering
Previous Thread Next Thread