Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,482 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root for Nook Tablet 8GB (w/ Android Market)

Tip us?

joshmiddle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default easy unroot sd card 8gb nook

[QUOTE=jichuan89;23470182]Yes.

No. You will not lose any data.

Yes. All rooting does is install a bunch of files to /system; to unroot you just need to delete those files. AFAIK there isn't a reason to unroot the NT, but if one day there is I could make a bootable SD card for that.[/QUOTE

Cout someone make a bootable sd card for unrooting. I have read through all the thread. Theres the full restore sd card but that thread talks about a lot of people having issues. It would be nice to have a way to undo what is done in this root method. I'm wanting to return my nook tablet 8gb. Decided to go with a fullvandroid tablet not sure wich one yet. Thats a different discussion for a different thred though. Thanks.

lavero.burgos
Old
Thanks Meter 1,308

DONATE TO ME
[QUOTE=joshmiddle;25033833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jichuan89 View Post
Yes.

No. You will not lose any data.

Yes. All rooting does is install a bunch of files to /system; to unroot you just need to delete those files. AFAIK there isn't a reason to unroot the NT, but if one day there is I could make a bootable SD card for that.[/QUOTE

Cout someone make a bootable sd card for unrooting. I have read through all the thread. Theres the full restore sd card but that thread talks about a lot of people having issues. It would be nice to have a way to undo what is done in this root method. I'm wanting to return my nook tablet 8gb. Decided to go with a fullvandroid tablet not sure wich one yet. Thats a different discussion for a different thred though. Thanks.
Seems that the nook unroot app by @Indirect works for the 8gb model aswell

~ Veronica

Sent from my BNTV250A using xda premium
SG Captivate - PAC ROM 4.2.2 | SGS2X - CM10.1 4.2.2 | NOOK Tablet - CM10.1 4.2.2 |

If i helped you please hit
button -
Your files everywhere! Get dropbox 2GB+250mb free: http://db.tt/9DHo4Gi

VIDEO TUTORIALS
My XDA FTP Folder ~ GDrive Folder ~ My XDA Threads
The Following User Says Thank You to lavero.burgos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GothamGal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I followed steps 1-9 for the microsd card, but when I try to search for the market I get nothing.
Using a Sandisk 32 gig microsd on an 8gig tablet.
What am I doing wrong???

Thanks, in Advance.

citionecent
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamGal View Post
I followed steps 1-9 for the microsd card, but when I try to search for the market I get nothing.
Using a Sandisk 32 gig microsd on an 8gig tablet.
What am I doing wrong???

Thanks, in Advance.
I just performed this root and it couldn't be any easier. thanks OP

what you [GothamGal] are missing is this
[quote from the initial post]

After Rooting

You will not see any visible difference in the interface when the tablet powers back on, nor will your firmware version change, but you should now be rooted. To launch the Android / Play Market, do the following: "n" -> Search -> hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps" -> type "market" in search bar -> select "Market".

[/quote]

make sure you do this [hit top-left button on screen -> select "apps"]. Initially i was trying to search and download market.apk from the internet, but it looks like market is already installed after the rooting process, this operation provides the entry point to the market app.

joshmiddle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default thanks

[QUOTE=lavero.burgos;25051259]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmiddle View Post

Seems that the nook unroot app by @Indirect works for the 8gb model aswell

~ Veronica

Sent from my BNTV250A using xda premium
That worked great had some trouble geting unknown Aplications to install. Ended up using nook hidden settings from market to make unknown aplication checkmark to stay checked. Intalled and unrooted nook 8gb tablet. i will post all my steps in the other forum on unrooter app. Even after reading all the posts i wasnt clear about how to fet the unrooter to work.

beholdr
Old
(Last edited by beholdr; 21st April 2012 at 08:54 AM.) Reason: add section after root
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks to jichuan89, yesterday I rooted my new Nook Tablet 8Gb. But this was not so easy.

First I tried option #1: download card image and copy it to SD card as instruction says. I have 1 Gb Kingston SD-card and no separate card-reader, so I used Nook itself even if instruction has note: «Dedicated USB card readers are ideal.». So far, after rebooting my Nook didn't saw card and loaded without brown box. I tried again: no luck. Then I though that maybe my card is bad or I need real card-reader.

But then I tried again as Q&A in first topic says: alternative way for guys like me. This answer leads me to [SD Root] Make 16 or 8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16or8gbV4.6].

Process of copying image to SD-card was almost the same as previous, but this time I used instructions from this answer (I'm on mac). Only difference was using dd command without bs argument. I dont know if it helps or something else but I've made an SD-card, then delete files from it's root folder and then copy 4 files from .zip file in the first post of current thread.

After that my nook (remember, I make a card using Nook itself, so it was connected to USB all the time) show me alert window about wrong SD-card with prompt to format it. I decline it, properly eject card and nook from my computer and turn Nook off. Then I turn it on and — yahoo — it was a box! Then everything was as instruction says without issues.

After rooting I've set some general apps (like in topic My Rooted 8GB Nook Journey and Kudos to jichauan89), disable OTA (updates) through NT hidden settings. But I do not want to install HomeCatcher and 3rd party apps hack (I want to make my Nook as clean as possible). So I start to search for less obtrusive method to launching sideloaded apps which do not showing in standard Nook launcher. And founded it!

There is app in market: Nook Color App Manager which add itself to standard Nook apps and works as simple launcher. It allows to add selected apps to Nook desktop and works with Nook Tablet 8 Gb. Cool.

droid2501
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does rooting using this method deregister you from Barnes and Nobel? If it does, can you reregister easily or is your device banned?

nikiddawg
Old
(Last edited by nikiddawg; 26th April 2012 at 09:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Space for downloading apps?

So I've been able to root the nook tab 8GB with the 8GB SD card method. I launch CM7 while tethered otherwise it will only launch into NT. [EDIT: FOUND THAT IF I HOLD POWER AND "n", IT LAUNCES INTO CM7!!).

I've played with the partions on the SD Card and it's showing 4 partitions. I have about 4GB available using CM7 BUT here's the ISSUE: I've now been able to succesffully access the Play store now from the "standard" NT interface (i.e. while not running CM7). Here's the problem I'm encountering. While using the NT interface, my SD card according to the Nook says that I only have 197MB of space left and so when I try to download an app from Play, I can't because it says I don't have enough disk space. It's only seeing that small partition of the total card. How do I get it to read the other LARGER partition and how do I get it to either download apps from the Play store to the internal memory OR to the larger partition that I have on my SD card which is where the apps are downloaded using CM7?

This might be a noob question but so be it...I'm a noob.
There I said it.

droid2501
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How can I disable OTA updates from Barnes & Nobel?

scottyj91
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Able to Root... Now incompatible apps

This may have been answered in the 20 plus pages already, if so I must have missed it.

I have been able to root my Nook tablet running 1.4.2 without a hitch.
Installed NT hidden settings and after some initial hiccups have been able to keep the unknown sources box checked.

Now, when I try to download an app from google play I still get the message about not being able to install unknown apps for security reasons.
If I go to google play using the webbrowser in an attempt to download an app I get the "app not compatible with your device" and this is for stuff like google maps, which from various videos I've seen will work on the Nook Tablet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. It is most likely something I am missing, or I just haven't come across a set of instructions clear enough for me to make sense of what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks in advance! And thanks for all the hard work involved in getting to this point!