FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

 View Poll Results: Would you like to see UbunTop as an upgrade for WebTop+?

Keep UbunTop separate.
 
47 Vote(s)
19.18%
Make UbunTop a upgrade to WebTop+.
 
85 Vote(s)
34.69%
Have UbunTop as both standalone and upgrade.
 
113 Vote(s)
46.12%

please delete

2,979 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,315
 
By Lokifish Marz, Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer on 29th September 2011, 01:44 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
22nd April 2012, 12:56 AM |#311  
Gack69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 530
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

As of 23:57 GMT -5 April 20, 2012 I have started the closing of Imperium Initiate website. The final wipe and domain release will occur on April 30th.

This thread is now for reference only and will no longer be maintained.

Are any of the files mirrored? In particular I am interested in: WebTop+ v1.2b with UbunTop Upgrade. I am hoping to flash that over top of Cybiks CM7 for this functionality.
 
 
22nd April 2012, 02:59 AM |#312  
Senior Member
Akron
Thanks Meter: 286
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gack69

Are any of the files mirrored? In particular I am interested in: WebTop+ v1.2b with UbunTop Upgrade. I am hoping to flash that over top of Cybiks CM7 for this functionality.

That won't work with cm7, or any non blur rom....yet
22nd April 2012, 04:02 AM |#313  
Gack69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 530
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky23

That won't work with cm7, or any non blur rom....yet

Yet? You TEASE!! You know something...

22nd April 2012, 09:28 PM |#314  
Gack69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 530
 
More
Quick question for those who have a lapdock. I've modded an Atrix lapdock to work with my Mopho. I am interested in installing on Rocko's blur ROM, but torn on which to flash over top. Do I want to install webtop + Ubuntop Upgrade, or Ubuntop 1.2 standalone. I will not be using on HDMI dock but ONLY on the modded Lapdock. Which option is most appropriate or best suited for lapdock? That being said...what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.
22nd April 2012, 09:48 PM |#315  
hellot1M's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gack69

Quick question for those who have a lapdock. I've modded an Atrix lapdock to work with my Mopho. I am interested in installing on Rocko's blur ROM, but torn on which to flash over top. Do I want to install webtop + Ubuntop Upgrade, or Ubuntop 1.2 standalone. I will not be using on HDMI dock but ONLY on the modded Lapdock. Which option is most appropriate or best suited for lapdock? That being said...what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

Or wait for the new Ubuntu phone OS. (Not Ubuntu for android which I wouldn't be surprised if was included as an HDMI feature like the photon does with webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to hellot1M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 10:09 PM |#316  
hoslayer13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mulberry, Fl
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gack69

Quick question for those who have a lapdock. I've modded an Atrix lapdock to work with my Mopho. I am interested in installing on Rocko's blur ROM, but torn on which to flash over top. Do I want to install webtop + Ubuntop Upgrade, or Ubuntop 1.2 standalone. I will not be using on HDMI dock but ONLY on the modded Lapdock. Which option is most appropriate or best suited for lapdock? That being said...what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

I think the standalone ubuntop had synaptic broken. Web top+ and the upgrade would make it stand alone except it would have residual install/config files from using the commands ubuntop upgrade folder



Sent from my MB855
22nd April 2012, 10:13 PM |#317  
studentjunk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 196
 
More
If i am understanding, you want to Ron ubuntop and are trying to figure out which to install. They both have the same end result. The upgrade was made a few days earlier, and then he made the full. I think the end result is the upgrade is slightly larger after everything is installed. I remember asking a similar question earlier in the thread.
Sent from my MB855 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to studentjunk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2012, 10:15 PM |#318  
Lokifish Marz's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,315
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gack69

what is the difference between the two? The standalone is a significantly larger file to flash.

TIA.

Webtop+ is LXDE and no extras. UbunTop is XFCE and all the apps listed in the OP. If you have a fast connection the upgrade to Ubuntop takes about 20mins. If you don't want to wait then the standalone installs in about half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeaton

Or wait for the new Ubuntu phone OS. (Not Ubuntu for android which I wouldn't be surprised if was included as an HDMI feature like the photon does with webtop

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

The last time I talked to Canonical both Ubuntu for Android and Ubuntu phone OS are for handset manufacturers and carriers only. I wouldn't expect to see either any time soon unless there's a lot going on behind the scenes that nobody has caught wind of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2012, 12:42 AM |#319  
Lokifish Marz's Avatar
OP Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Flag Olympus Mons, Mars
Thanks Meter: 3,315
 
Donate to Me
More
I have found a solution and am up and running again. It's not perfect but does offset running costs so I'll go with it. Here's the updated info.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lokifish Marz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2012, 06:17 PM |#320  
hellot1M's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 352
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz

Webtop+ is LXDE and no extras. UbunTop is XFCE and all the apps listed in the OP. If you have a fast connection the upgrade to Ubuntop takes about 20mins. If you don't want to wait then the standalone installs in about half the time.



The last time I talked to Canonical both Ubuntu for Android and Ubuntu phone OS are for handset manufacturers and carriers only. I wouldn't expect to see either any time soon unless there's a lot going on behind the scenes that nobody has caught wind of.

But eventually the source should be released to the public right? Maybe once their first product is released. Ubuntu is open source I just don't see them keeping the source closed but is understanding with waiting for a product to showcase the new is which I can see being released or demoed sometime this year or early next

Sent from my I9300 using XDA
25th April 2012, 07:13 PM |#321  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdeaton

But eventually the source should be released to the public right? Maybe once their first product is released. Ubuntu is open source I just don't see them keeping the source closed but is understanding with waiting for a product to showcase the new is which I can see being released or demoed sometime this year or early next

Sent from my I9300 using XDA

Yes, under the licensing for the software that they use they will eventually have to release the source. The catch to that is that they only have to release it when the software is distributed. That means that we need to wait for a product with Ubuntu for Android to release unless they decide to release it earlier. Not only that, but there's a good change that the release won't be vanilla. It may be filled with many pieces of code specific to the Android device. It may also have binary blobs and other pieces shielded that may be required for it to work.

As long as they provid source for whatever they distribute then they should adhere to most open source licensing agreements. They're differentiating from other linux distro's for a for a reason, to help protect a product that is legally okay to copy, modify and redistribute in just about any fashion. They may have a vanilla Ubuntu for Android but I'm pretty sure manufacturers won't be shipping without optimizations and changes that cause it to only work for their shipped devices.

I don't agree with all of that, but that's purely my speculation on Canonical's intentions in regards to Ubuntu for Android. I would hope for much better but with them keeping things locked up tight for now I can only see this happening. There are other reasons for what they're doing. They could be negotiating with manufacturers for who will make the premier phone or get to take it to market first.

That can be achieved simply by only selling access/giving rights to the source code to whoever can make it most worth their while. If I had to pick a company to do this, it would be Asus. An agreement to sell Ubuntu pc's aggressively while also adding it to their Android products like the Transformer would be very ideal for them. Everyone brings something unique and valuable to the table but who better than a hybrid PC and Android manufacturer to secure for a deal?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
photon, ubuntu, webtop
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes