Post Reply

Charge vs. Thunderbolt

OP chrisrach3

23rd March 2012, 12:02 AM   |  #31  
JihadSquad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,586 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts

I haven't heard one good report of the Thunderbolt screen in direct sunlight. Put a Charge and Thunderbolt next to each other in direct sun, and see which screen is better

You forgot that some people don't go outside. Also, I can agree with this. I have no problems looking at my phone at noon outside and my friends with t-mobile HTCs (mytouch 3g slide, 4g, 4g slide) complain about it.

Also they all have horrendous battery life in comparison.
31st March 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #32  
bobsbbq's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Covington, LA
Thanks Meter: 353
 
5,153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Donate to Me
My work phone was a Thunderbolt, and after a mishap I had to do a insurance replacement. The Thunderbolt was no longer in stock so I got the Charge. While I've only had it a couple of days I can say it is a lot better than my Thunderbolt.

For me the battery life is the most important and is much better than the TB. Data seems to be ok but I live on the fringe of 4G area and it switches back and fourth from 3G to 4G but I will test it out better over time.

By the way I also have a Nexus running 4.04 and it has the same data drop problems. The WiFi speeds on the Nexus suck and I have replaced it twice but still have the same problems. It just won't handle fast WiFi download speeds, where my other devices in the house pull 30 Mbps the Nexus struggles to get 12 Mbps.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobsbbq For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2012, 02:39 AM   |  #33  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
I had a chance to have a Thunderbolt and what turned me off from it is the battery life. I hear that phones dies (from fully charged) within a few hours. One thing I love about the Charge is that it has good battery life. It does lock up and lag. But by flashing a different rom. (I like Tweaked v2.0 by dwitherell) you can have a very smooth experience with owning the Droid Charge. Just my two cent.
21st April 2012, 10:05 PM   |  #34  
bolt_of_thunder's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
434 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfearxphoenixx

I had a chance to have a Thunderbolt and what turned me off from it is the battery life. I hear that phones dies (from fully charged) within a few hours. One thing I love about the Charge is that it has good battery life. It does lock up and lag. But by flashing a different rom. (I like Tweaked v2.0 by dwitherell) you can have a very smooth experience with owning the Droid Charge. Just my two cent.

I've got a tbolt right now but I'd like to get something else. I got my wife a bionic and I love how fast it is and how much better the screen is, even though I can totally notice the screen door effect. A nice used one goes for about $200 whereas the charge looks to be about $50 less on average.

I do love flashing new roms and I notice there aren't as many options for the charge as there are for the bolt. Should that concern me? Oh and are the data drops\signal strength issues solved?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 11:30 PM   |  #35  
JihadSquad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,586 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt_of_thunder

I've got a tbolt right now but I'd like to get something else. I got my wife a bionic and I love how fast it is and how much better the screen is, even though I can totally notice the screen door effect. A nice used one goes for about $200 whereas the charge looks to be about $50 less on average.

I do love flashing new roms and I notice there aren't as many options for the charge as there are for the bolt. Should that concern me? Oh and are the data drops\signal strength issues solved?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Lol if you think the bionic screen is good then wait till you look at a charge. Most of us think that the bionic has one of the worst smartphone screens around. Also, in the 2 last system updates the data drops were fixed. The signal strength is also improved, but not as good as what I was seeing on my previous phone. We have two solid ROMs and a very smooth and stable ICS that is just missing the camera and data (voice, text, wifi work fine).

Finally, if you do get the Charge used, watch out for the screeching audio. There is a specific hardware revision of the Charge that has this screeching sound when you are in a call.
22nd April 2012, 12:55 AM   |  #36  
bolt_of_thunder's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
434 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JihadSquad

Lol if you think the bionic screen is good then wait till you look at a charge. Most of us think that the bionic has one of the worst smartphone screens around. Also, in the 2 last system updates the data drops were fixed. The signal strength is also improved, but not as good as what I was seeing on my previous phone. We have two solid ROMs and a very smooth and stable ICS that is just missing the camera and data (voice, text, wifi work fine).

Finally, if you do get the Charge used, watch out for the screeching audio. There is a specific hardware revision of the Charge that has this screeching sound when you are in a call.

The wife's previous phone was a fascinate so I'm familiar with how beautiful the amoled screens are. I like how bright the bionic screen is in daylight and overhead office type lighting compare to the bolt's. Dual core and bigger stock battery is nice too on the bionic. I do tend to do a lot of multitasking and my bolt just can't keep up most times even on aosp roms.

Is there a dedicated thread about which hardware version is good and bad? I'll have to do more research about the charge. Thanks

Sent from my ikream bolt
22nd April 2012, 01:13 AM   |  #37  
JihadSquad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,586 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt_of_thunder

The wife's previous phone was a fascinate so I'm familiar with how beautiful the amoled screens are. I like how bright the bionic screen is in daylight and overhead office type lighting compare to the bolt's. Dual core and bigger stock battery is nice too on the bionic. I do tend to do a lot of multitasking and my bolt just can't keep up most times even on aosp roms.

Is there a dedicated thread about which hardware version is good and bad? I'll have to do more research about the charge. Thanks

Sent from my ikream bolt

This screen blows even the galaxy s screens out of the water in terms of outdoor visibility. Also the low amount of RAM is not too good for multitasking but it works good enough for me.
22nd April 2012, 01:39 AM   |  #38  
DirgeExtinction's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 277
 
1,801 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JihadSquad

Lol if you think the bionic screen is good then wait till you look at a charge. Most of us think that the bionic has one of the worst smartphone screens around. Also, in the 2 last system updates the data drops were fixed. The signal strength is also improved, but not as good as what I was seeing on my previous phone. We have two solid ROMs and a very smooth and stable ICS that is just missing the camera and data (voice, text, wifi work fine).

Finally, if you do get the Charge used, watch out for the screeching audio. There is a specific hardware revision of the Charge that has this screeching sound when you are in a call.

Eh, my Charge still has data drop outs every now and then. Didn't have that with neither the Rezound nor the Nexus.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
22nd April 2012, 01:41 AM   |  #39  
JihadSquad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 244
 
1,586 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirgeExtinction

Eh, my Charge still has data drop outs every now and then. Didn't have that with neither the Rezound nor the Nexus.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

I guess I just don't know what "normal" is then. The last phone i had was a blackberry 8330 with only 1x and that thing never dropped signal no matter where i went.
22nd April 2012, 04:03 AM   |  #40  
Senior Member
Flag Harrisburg
Thanks Meter: 58
 
450 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
yes and no.

With JUST root, there are things you cannot do without root to improve both the GPS and the responsiveness. IS the improvement all that dramatic? Your Mileage May Vary never applied more.

With root AND a ROM (either eclipse or my daily driver, tweak 2.0) I am going to say yes without a doubt, it may be less noticeable with the GPS but as far as the response times, it will increase a million times over.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes