Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] adb driver for nookcolor on windows 7

Tip us?

marchingknight11
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [Q] adb driver for nookcolor on windows 7

Apologies if this is already posted somewhere. just point me to the link and I'll take a look, but everything I have tried so far has failed.

I have been trying to get adb working on my NookColor under Windows 7. I am running a rooted 1.4.2 stock image. I installed the sdk by following the guide at http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but when I get to step III.3.1, the device does not show up where the guide tells me it should. I gget a myNOOKcolor device under Portable Devices instead. I tried following the same procedure for this device, but when I get to step III.3.2.3, I get an error message saying "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I was able to follow the same procedure to install the driver for my MyTouch 4g. It looks to me like the problem s that Windows identifies my Nook as a portable storage device, rather than an unidentified device type, like my MyTouch was. I've tried uninstalling the driver, but it just reinstalls itself when I unplug and plug the device back in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3575

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchingknight11 View Post
Apologies if this is already posted somewhere. just point me to the link and I'll take a look, but everything I have tried so far has failed.

I have been trying to get adb working on my NookColor under Windows 7. I am running a rooted 1.4.2 stock image. I installed the sdk by following the guide at http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB, but when I get to step III.3.1, the device does not show up where the guide tells me it should. I gget a myNOOKcolor device under Portable Devices instead. I tried following the same procedure for this device, but when I get to step III.3.2.3, I get an error message saying "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I was able to follow the same procedure to install the driver for my MyTouch 4g. It looks to me like the problem s that Windows identifies my Nook as a portable storage device, rather than an unidentified device type, like my MyTouch was. I've tried uninstalling the driver, but it just reinstalls itself when I unplug and plug the device back in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think the problem is the device id. I posted a workaround for CM9. It might be the same for your upgraded stock. See if my post helps. Look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=21665649
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marchingknight11
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
I think the problem is the device id. I posted a workaround for CM9. It might be the same for your upgraded stock. See if my post helps. Look here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=21665649
Thanks for the post!

I looked at your workaround and it did not help. There is no nook entry under "Other Devices" in the device manager. the only entry for my nook is the "myNOOKcolor" under portable devices. When I right click on that and go to details, there is no device id listed.

Is there any chance that I may need to revert to 1.4.1 in order for this to work?

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 22nd April 2012 at 05:21 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3575

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the post!

I looked at your workaround and it did not help. There is no nook entry under "Other Devices" in the device manager. the only entry for my nook is the "myNOOKcolor" under portable devices. When I right click on that and go to details, there is no device id listed.

Is there any chance that I may need to revert to 1.4.1 in order for this to work?
With CM9, you have to be sure to have usb debugging turned on before the device will show up. That guide was written for an earlier version of the stock software. Is there anything like that in your stock software? Do you have to install nook tools to get at the setting? It's been a long time since I played with stock and the software has changed.

Edit: There is an alternate script listed in that referenced page you listed. Did you try that?
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marchingknight11
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
With CM9, you have to be sure to have usb debugging turned on before the device will show up. That guide was written for an earlier version of the stock software. Is there anything like that in your stock software? Do you have to install nook tools to get at the setting? It's been a long time since I played with stock and the software has changed.

Edit: There is an alternate script listed in that referenced page you listed. Did you try that?
I have trtied all the troubleshooting steps in that page, if that's what you mean. Nothing has worked for me so far. I have tried disabling automount and usb debugging, to no avail.

I guess I should ask a new question. If I create a bootable CM7/CM9 sd card, will I be able to copy apk's to /system/app on my nook? That is really the only reason I need adb to work, so I can install non market apps.

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3575

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I have trtied all the troubleshooting steps in that page, if that's what you mean. Nothing has worked for me so far. I have tried disabling automount and usb debugging, to no avail.

I guess I should ask a new question. If I create a bootable CM7/CM9 sd card, will I be able to copy apk's to /system/app on my nook? That is really the only reason I need adb to work, so I can install non market apps.
Yes, but with difficulty. But you don't really want to install to /system, you want to install to /data (on emmc, which is the difficulty doing it from SD). You can use terminal emulator in CM7 to copy the files to emmc /data/apps. You first have to mount emmc /data. If you want to try that, I can help you.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

marchingknight11
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Yes, but with difficulty. But you don't really want to install to /system, you want to install to /data (on emmc, which is the difficulty doing it from SD). You can use terminal emulator in CM7 to copy the files to emmc /data/apps. You first have to mount emmc /data. If you want to try that, I can help you.

Well something else actually occurred to me. Will I be able to copy apps to my sdcard (not the CM7 bootable, just a regular sd card), then copy them to /data/app using root explorer? If I can do that, there there's really no problem, I'll just have to deal with the fact that adb doesn't work.

If I can't do that, then yes, please help me do it using a bootable sd

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3575

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well something else actually occurred to me. Will I be able to copy apps to my sdcard (not the CM7 bootable, just a regular sd card), then copy them to /data/app using root explorer? If I can do that, there there's really no problem, I'll just have to deal with the fact that adb doesn't work.

If I can't do that, then yes, please help me do it using a bootable sd
If you have root explorer working on emmc, yes you can do it that way. You can actually have root explorer just install for you also.

lufc
Old
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Thanks Meter 1485

DONATE TO ME
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions &
Read the Forum Rules Ref Posting

Moving to Q&A
Pay attention and participate,Encourage,
not discourage, Listen to advice and accept instruction,
and in the end you will be wise.......... Prov. 19:20

Droidatar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:

I am using CM10 on my nook color after spending 8+ hours yesterday finally being able to get back to where I started. I can again see my nook and the card but it is now showing up under portable devices. I used to have them listed as drives. this is fine as I have access to the card after I click on the nook in File explorer. I would like it the previous set-up just because Calibre has my card and device flipped and its easy to confuse me. I learned that if I can label my nook f and the card g Calibre will think the first letter is the main drive.

My original reason for this post: I can not find where to disable the automount in CM10 can you tell me where you disabled it? and if anyone can wave their magic wand and get me back to where I can name my nook and card THANKS